Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 08:19 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times

Advertisements

So basically an average person may not even know their IQ score?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 08:47 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
That's right.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:48 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:

The typical person has no real need to know what their IQ is. Beyond age 18 it's pretty much pointless.

In younger kids, it's mostly used as a tool to identify children with intellectual disabilities, of those with above average intelligence that should be exposed to gifted programs. It's really just a guide, but doesn't really paint a picture of how "intelligent" a person is. I went through the testing as a kid, which got me into gifted programs, but as an adult, I have no idea what my IQ is, and frankly don't care.

What good is a high IQ if the person lacks ambition and drive and just loafs around in life?

Old 04-20-2017, 04:30 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Mui is basically referring to black people.

Parents in high income areas might also be too busy working to help their kids with school work. Just because they have money to throw at the school system and give their child the best education doesn't mean they are actually taking the time to sit down with their kid and help them. They might be depending on teachers for this as well.
Wrong. Actually I am referring to low income people of ALL races and cultures. Children look to their parents and those in the media spotlight as their role models. So for those children of low income parents, they just don't understand why they need to work on their academic skills. And many of macho cultures, the AA and Hispanic communities in particular, just aren't impressed with geeks and nerds, but they are impressed with those who are very good looking, well dressed and living large.

Up in NH, one of our neighbors is a white family where only the dad works, and both parents are drunk at home, and their oldest son is basically without any career direction. He's failed to graduate from high school twice and has gotten his girlfriend pregnant, he was working at the local Hannafords, but gave up. I'd say that more money thrown by the taxpayers towards his schooling would be money thrown away. Again, this is a white family.

And parents in high income areas may be too busy to spend time with their children's homework, but their kids can see how having a great education will open the doors to great well paying careers. So a brain surgeon might be working long hours at their hospital, but their children will most likely want to emulate them and go into medicine. Just as police work runs in some families.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:09 PM

Ok. Mui loves rich people and thinks poor people are ruining the earth.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:15 PM

There are all different scenarios. My cousin is married to a guy who is an only child and his dad left the mother and him when he was very young, he was never in the picture again after leaving, his mom is crazy, never had much of a career yet he still went to Penn and then MIT for grad school. He has 4 kids, is an amazing dad and it's surprising that he turned out as well as he did considering his upbringing. History doesn't always repeat itself....and not all kids are doomed if their parents arent perfect.

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 04-20-2017 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: Added

Old 04-21-2017, 06:01 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times
When I was in elementary school, back in the 70s-80s, IQ testing was often part of standardized testing.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:34 AM

Bottom line is this OP is really taking it seriously that her kid was found to have an above average IQ and you know she is going to be thinking about this high IQ for the rest of the kid's life. Why someone living in wellesley cant use wellesley schools is beyond me also.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:09 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
The OP's little Einstein going to school with the public riff raff is not acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts