Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 07:55 AM

10 posts, read 6,637 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I would really appreciate some advice on my upcoming relocation to the Boston area from Northern VA. It is just my wife and I (with 2 small dogs). We would like to buy a SFH or Condo (NOT a multi-family apartment building). Our budget is no more than $550K. We'd like a 3 bedroom, but would settle for 2 I guess. I have no idea about location (that is where I need advice). I would like no more than an hour commute to the financial district by rail if possible.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 10:45 AM

11,046 posts, read 12,349,141 times
https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyl...pJP/story.html

Get ready!

Old 04-11-2017, 11:56 AM

4,244 posts, read 3,687,996 times
Are you looking for something similar to where you are? Are you in Arlington and want something more urban or are you in Fairfax or P.W. County and want something more typically suburban?

When you say a condo, but not a multi-family apartment building, do you mean that you would take a condo in a high rise building that has 10+ floors, and maybe a doorman? Or is in a large complex, where there are many condos, and would not want a unit in, say, a 3 story building? Are you against a duplex/townhouse?

Old 04-11-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Are you looking for something similar to where you are? Are you in Arlington and want something more urban or are you in Fairfax or P.W. County and want something more typically suburban?

When you say a condo, but not a multi-family apartment building, do you mean that you would take a condo in a high rise building that has 10+ floors, and maybe a doorman? Or is in a large complex, where there are many condos, and would not want a unit in, say, a 3 story building? Are you against a duplex/townhouse?
Hello, I currently live in Fairfax County and would like something similar, like a suburb feel. I don't need a lot of night life. Nice restaurants and some shopping would be an added bonus.

You're right, I wouldn't mind nice high rise buildings with condos, but I want to stay away from those 3-level apartment buildings, townhouse, or duplexes.

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Ya, I'm ready for the sticker shock in the area. Basically the same, if
Not more than the D.C. area. Can't believe the cost of living. Hopefully I can find something

Old 04-11-2017, 02:57 PM

4,244 posts, read 3,687,996 times
For starters, I guess I'd suggest Natick or Framingham. (Framingham is less expensive, but isn't considered as desirable. But if you don't have kids, it's a cheaper option that's right next to Natick and part of the same shopping area.) Is your wife going to be working in the financial district also? Or will she be looking for a job? If she will be looking for a job, the good thing about the Natick area is that it is fairly centrally located to a number of different employment hubs.

I'm sure others will chime in with other good possibilities.

Boston is even more expensive than D.C., if you can believe it.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:13 PM

652 posts, read 744,849 times
Tall order on that budget. Maybe some of the nicer towns in the Merrimack Valley such as Georgetown, Boxford, etc. south Shore probably has options too.

Note that the commuter rail fares rise significantly as you go to the further zones of the system. So your savings in housing cost may be offset by higher commuting costs.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:59 AM

9,805 posts, read 7,080,636 times
You might be able to get into a starter ranch or split needing updates in Burlington. You can catch the commuter rail in Wilmington to North Station or take the bus to Alewife or downtown.

Shopping, dining all on one end of town and standard suburban feeling in the rest of the town.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:54 AM

31 posts, read 27,956 times
Look at Quincy or Braintree. Good mix of suburban neighborhoods, urban centers with dining/amenities and box box retail. Subway or commuter rail to South Station (20 – 30 mins), which is the most convenient terminus to the financial district. $550k would get you a 3 bedroom SFH, possibly within walking distance to a transit station. There are a handful of new construction condos in Quincy Center (mid-rise buildings) going for about the same.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:10 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,216,776 times
There are lots of places where you can get a 2-3 bedroom for under 550k. I'd look at Melrose or Wakefield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts