Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 03:35 PM

121 posts, read 239,996 times

Advertisements

Never had one so...
Looking for a used one for now...

Is it ok to store it on the backyard?

Are there any regulations? Do you need a license?

Where do you take it?
Are there any maps or something (What lakes/rivers are accessible, where to enter etc)

Any tips or thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 03:48 PM

3,672 posts, read 7,368,487 times
Start here:

Boat and Recreation Vehicle Safety Bureau

And then learn here:

Online boating safety course, boating license test, certification

Old 05-01-2017, 08:57 PM

24,299 posts, read 16,977,085 times
I agree with gf2020 it is best to learn as much as you can because boating can be a life or death adventure that you will often bring your friends/family with you to experience.

Used is the way to go but make sure it is in good shape, the motor runs well and the trailer is solid. Boats are like cars in that they depreciate so you can save money by buying preowned. If you can do your own maintenance that will save you a bundle.

Some towns or even neighborhoods might have regulations on what you are allowed to park in your yard so check before you buy because paying for storage is expensive.

You don't need a license but there are plenty of rules to follow and most are to keep you and other safe.

Don't forget that along with a boat you will need something to tow it with and more importantly stop it. 4x4 is also important since I have seen many funny scenes where 4x2 vehicles have struggled to get up a slippery boat ramp.

In Mass you will have registration to pay for the boat every 2 years and the trailer every year plus excise tax on both.

Boats are fun. Good luck.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:02 AM

15,708 posts, read 20,239,147 times
You don't need a license in MA. That can vary in other states though as NH requires a boating license to drive a boat in that state.

As for storing it on your property, that depends on the town regs. Some allow, some don't. So you need to check

Old 05-02-2017, 08:12 AM

24,512 posts, read 18,020,565 times
What's this "lake" stuff?

Old 05-02-2017, 08:30 AM

1,897 posts, read 1,382,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka View Post
Any tips or thoughts?
Find friends with boats instead. One of the truer things I ever heard that I didn;t completely appreciate until I owned a boat was "The best days as a boat owner are the day you buy it and the day you get rid of it". Boats are a LOT of work and expense.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:47 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,612,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Find friends with boats instead. One of the truer things I ever heard that I didn;t completely appreciate until I owned a boat was "The best days as a boat owner are the day you buy it and the day you get rid of it". Boats are a LOT of work and expense.
That quote doesn't hold water if the boat is a paddled or oared boat.

For other types of boats, maybe.

What KIND of boat does OP want? If it is a sailboat, I have heard the best thing for a newbie to do is to volunteer as crew for someone who has boat but not enough help. You learn the ropes and incidentally, you would see the PITA parts about owning one.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:50 AM

513 posts, read 641,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka View Post
Never had one so...
Looking for a used one for now...

Is it ok to store it on the backyard?

Are there any regulations? Do you need a license?

Where do you take it?
Are there any maps or something (What lakes/rivers are accessible, where to enter etc)

Any tips or thoughts?
GF2020 offered great advice. You will need to register the boat and trailer and should take a boater safety course.

I live on the North Shore, and there are many places to choose from up here, both ocean and freshwater.

As for storing in the backyard, it depends on the town regulations. We have a large lot of land and tuck our boat away beside the garage.

Someone mentioned boat repairs and I can reiterate that boats require a ton of maintenance. Our boat is very simple and small and has a newish outboard. It has required a few repairs over the few years we have had it (in addition to regular maintenance). Thankfully, we have been able to perform the repairs ourselves.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:14 AM

1,897 posts, read 1,382,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidmc View Post
Our boat is very simple and small and has a newish outboard. It has required a few repairs over the few years we have had it (in addition to regular maintenance). Thankfully, we have been able to perform the repairs ourselves.
Knock on every piece of wood you can find ASAP!

Old 05-03-2017, 09:21 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,377,778 times
Just remember , a boat stands for. "Bust Out Another Thousand"!
Buying a used boat is fine, but if you can afford it, purchase a new motor. Keep up your maintinence, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts