Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 05:52 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,740,728 times

Advertisements

the fact of the matter is the South Shore silly can be argued to have some decent school systems what if it comes down to it there isn't that much to really do. There are no realistic or religious festivals and not much in the way of decent restaurants that stand out. Add followed the same trends of the removal of bookstores, music stores, video stores, malls, video game stores, arcades Etc. And for over 30 years there's been a general decline whether it be in 1984 in Paragon Park closed 1988 when the Weymouth Fairgrounds closed the early 90s when King's Castle land closed the mid-90s when the Weymouth Air Base closed the late 90s when supersports closed and later on when the dog track closed.

a friend of mine who is high ranked in the pvta equated the South Shore with Long Island. In then you are very Scenic area is in decent school systems but when it comes down to it there's just not a whole lot to do and everybody just goes to one city for the job and goes home. It's not so much a community but rather just a bedroom community. People go to work come home and go to bed and that's about it.

And again I'm sure the schools are fine but when it comes down to it when was the last time you saw a new community center open up in the South Shore? When was the last time you saw a real religious or ethnic Festival in the South Shore? Some of this might deal with some animosity against Brockton and to be fair in Brockton they do have potential for leadership has failed systemically for decades. It has a park system that could be a phenomenal jewel in the region but the lack of management and fiscal responsibility is pretty much put that on the back burner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 06:06 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,666,069 times
Let me guess - there's so much to do in Springfield that you don't know what to do first?

Old 11-18-2019, 06:21 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,785,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Let me guess - there's so much to do in Springfield that you don't know what to do first?
I can't wait for the day where I can catch a one seat ride out to springfield and brown bag a beer on some crumbling stoop.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:23 PM

24,510 posts, read 17,983,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
True the South Shore does not have quite the price tag of Metro-West for the comparable, for that reason. More people there work finance/insurance jobs in the Financial District, Seaport, etc. The commute sucks, but it sure doesn't stop people from living there.

My metro Boston high tech jobs had always been north of the city or west of the city. Walkable from Alewife and Newton Corner north of the Pike were the only jobs I ever had inside 128. South Shore was never a consideration.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:59 PM

23,087 posts, read 18,235,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
the fact of the matter is the South Shore silly can be argued to have some decent school systems what if it comes down to it there isn't that much to really do. There are no realistic or religious festivals and not much in the way of decent restaurants that stand out. Add followed the same trends of the removal of bookstores, music stores, video stores, malls, video game stores, arcades Etc. And for over 30 years there's been a general decline whether it be in 1984 in Paragon Park closed 1988 when the Weymouth Fairgrounds closed the early 90s when King's Castle land closed the mid-90s when the Weymouth Air Base closed the late 90s when supersports closed and later on when the dog track closed.

a friend of mine who is high ranked in the pvta equated the South Shore with Long Island. In then you are very Scenic area is in decent school systems but when it comes down to it there's just not a whole lot to do and everybody just goes to one city for the job and goes home. It's not so much a community but rather just a bedroom community. People go to work come home and go to bed and that's about it.

And again I'm sure the schools are fine but when it comes down to it when was the last time you saw a new community center open up in the South Shore? When was the last time you saw a real religious or ethnic Festival in the South Shore? Some of this might deal with some animosity against Brockton and to be fair in Brockton they do have potential for leadership has failed systemically for decades. It has a park system that could be a phenomenal jewel in the region but the lack of management and fiscal responsibility is pretty much put that on the back burner.
No if I wanted to be around lots of religious or ethnic festivals, the South Shore isn't the first place that comes to mind. I'm sure there will be a mass exodus from Scituate and Cohasset to Springfield, because of such. Full trains headed west, coming back east empty. Yep.

Old 11-18-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
No if I wanted to be around lots of religious or ethnic festivals, the South Shore isn't the first place that comes to mind. I'm sure there will be a mass exodus from Scituate and Cohasset to Springfield, because of such. Full trains headed west, coming back east empty. Yep.
Huh? The nice part about religious and ethnic festivals, historical districts and neighborhood groups is at least the places feel different. Again just tell me what the differences are in the towns I mentioned. Having grown up in the south shore and spent 35 or do years there it *is* the same. If you want just mcmansions, chain stores and restaurants by means have at it. No walkable downtowns, no decent coffee shops, no maker spaces etc

Old 11-18-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
There are events on a regular basis here and the region. I went to bubbs BBQ in Sunderland. There's a new health food shop that moved from Agawam on Allen Street I want to go to and a flower shop to get a historical home calendar for my folks. There's a new bakery that opened today and a new comedy club. Between academia, symphony hall, Mass mutual center, mgm, Northampton venues, big Fairgrounds and Hartford yes they'd plenty around. The museums, parks, six flags, bb hall of fame etc. There are plenty of things to do in cities across newEngland

https://valleyadvocate.com/events/#!/

https://springfielddowntown.com/

Old 11-19-2019, 04:38 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,666,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
There are events on a regular basis here and the region. I went to bubbs BBQ in Sunderland. There's a new health food shop that moved from Agawam on Allen Street I want to go to and a flower shop to get a historical home calendar for my folks. There's a new bakery that opened today and a new comedy club. Between academia, symphony hall, Mass mutual center, mgm, Northampton venues, big Fairgrounds and Hartford yes they'd plenty around. The museums, parks, six flags, bb hall of fame etc. There are plenty of things to do in cities across newEngland

https://valleyadvocate.com/events/#!/

https://springfielddowntown.com/
There are events on a regular basis on the South Shore. You act like the things you mentioned are unique to Springfield - they're not, except the Big E.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:10 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,724,941 times
Bubbs is bad BBQ even by New England standards, which are really low.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:24 AM

24,510 posts, read 17,983,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
I can't wait for the day where I can catch a one seat ride out to springfield and brown bag a beer on some crumbling stoop.

You can do it today. Peter Pan 6717. Departs South Station at 12:01pm. 1 hour 44 minute ride which is faster than a train would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts