Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 06:41 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
Yes, my preference is to stay in the area but the COL differences just seem so drastic that I'm researching if we would have a better quality of life in RI. We spend weekends there about once a month to visit her folks and our friends who live there and we have a good time.

I'll do some more research about the taxes.
The tax differences are negligible in the end IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 07:34 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,124,258 times
Hi Dm84, would you mind elaborating?

Old 06-28-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Hi Dm84, would you mind elaborating?
I pay both MA and RI income tax due to a spouse working in RI. Having done the math I pay about the same as I would if she worked in MA. The RI tax system is bracketed so it's hard to make a direct comparison but in general the income tax is a wash for most people. Property tax and sales tax are usually close to the same as MA.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:11 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Quote:
Good points that we will have to think more about. I'm a California transplant but my wife's family is in Warwick, RI. We're more beach people than woods/mountain people.

I really like having the option of going into Boston, but we honestly only go in for a date night or activity once a month or so. We go to a Red Sox game at least once or twice a year for a nice work-related event, which moving will make much harder to attend. I've only been out to Providence a couple times and it seemed okay. There's not nearly as many restaurant options, obviously.

House...3-4BR/2BA, ~2sqft, lot doesn't have to be huge. It's just hard to see that for something I'm spending $700k on, I can get something equal or better for $500k in a town like East Greenwich, RI.
Providence, great Italian and Portuguese restaurant scene and better open cafe scene than Boston, not to mention home to the famous Johnson and Wales cooking school. I think you would be pleasantly surprised what it has to offer if you haven't visited lately.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:11 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,124,258 times
Sharon seems like it has a nice mix of affordability, schools, and commute time if I decided to stay working in downtown. I have heard from others there are not many amenities (lack of a town center, nowhere near the beach obviously). How do people like living there?

Old 06-28-2017, 10:30 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
There's not nearly as many restaurant options, obviously.

Not in quantity, but in quality there really is. And often its cheaper.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Sharon seems like it has a nice mix of affordability, schools, and commute time if I decided to stay working in downtown. I have heard from others there are not many amenities (lack of a town center, nowhere near the beach obviously). How do people like living there?
Sharon isn't really affordable anymore. There is a lakefront beach but yes the Town Center isn't very compelling at all.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:18 AM

39 posts, read 31,702 times
The fact that your in laws and friends are in RI makes it more appealing, IMO. I would think about it as how close you want to be to family and friends. 10-15 minutes away means regular babysitting, someone to drop chicken soup at rhe door when everyone is sick, etc. 20-45 minutes is what we call "birthday party range"...you will see each other for special events you plan in advance, but it's a lot to ask older parents to come do regular grandparent duty when they have to drive 1.5 hours round trip. And that's also a lot to ask if little kids on a very regular basis. Anything over 60 minutes is doable for holidays and special events, but you won't be able to pop over to see each other. Also think of this in reverse - will you need to help care for inlaws in 15 years? Even healthy people over 60 have knee surgeries and other mini medical events for which you might want to be closer.

Or you may not want so much closeness! No wrong answer...just things to consider.

I don't know RI, but if you want to stay working in Boston would taking the ferry from the south shore work for you? You could get a small fixer upper in Hingham, or Scituate or Hull could work. I also know a family that just moved to Canton in your price range and is very happy. I would just try to maximize for something - short commute, close to family, close to amenities, nice house...vs trying to split the different among everything (and ending up in Sharon, which I am sure is lovely, but doesn't really get you a short commute to either city or close to family or the beach.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:22 AM

Canton and Sharon are literally next to each other. You can't say Canton would be a great commute and Sharon would be too far. The Hingham suggestion would leave him even farther from relatives and with a commute that is basically no better than it would be from anywhere else in MA; it's also very expensive.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:41 AM

39 posts, read 31,702 times
Sorry - i wasn't trying to compare Sharon and Canton. They were more separate thoughts 1) Canton is a nice town to consider with train access in the poster's price range but 2) living in a town like Sharon (or Canton) doesn't really maximize for anything that is important to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts