Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 10:59 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,097,305 times

Advertisements

I remember being at some absolutely crazy parties in the 80's where things were destroyed. A few things set on fire , and then the general property damage. I think the kids of today are far less destructive than previous generations. It's just that when things do happen they are not held accountable for their actions. Back when I was kid we were held accountable for things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 11:30 AM

23,556 posts, read 18,651,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

The only thing surprising about this story (officials overreacting is not news) is that there are young people going out and socializing and not sitting inside watching screens or playing video games.
I was thinking the same thing. They are far more subdued today, but they don't seem to be able to have fun either. There was a lot more drinking back then. None of the pills/heroin stuff that's going on today (at least among the mainstream population), those things just don't create the same party scene.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:33 AM

23,556 posts, read 18,651,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The Scituate Police Department has only 25 officers. They cannot easily patrol or control a beach party numbering in the thousands - they've tried - even with help from Marshfield and State Police.
They no longer hire all those seasonal officers for the summer?

Old 07-03-2017, 03:09 PM

9,873 posts, read 7,195,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
They no longer hire all those seasonal officers for the summer?
I have no idea how many seasonal officers they hire. In doing a little research, they have 35 full time officers and 5 part time officers. Doing a little back of envelope math based on their budget, it looks like they budget for 4 full time summer positions based on salary - that's just a presumption.

Still, I doubt Scituate wants to put all those resources on what has gone from a family friendly event to basically a mini festival on the beach.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:00 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,724,892 times
Am I bothered if a seventeen year old decides to get drunk? Not really, as long as he/she doesn't drive. I'd rather see them put their resources to stopping drunk driving, or providing a safe location where they can have fun.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:15 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
Closing the beach for one night seems harsh, but then the locals with their families can enjoy the beach all day on the 4th... and also a clean beach. If hundreds of teens were to party tonight, they'd probably also be leaving behind a huge mess of bottles, and whatnot behind. And who wants to pay for a cleanup crew tomorrow morning?

And I have no sympathy for the teens who planned on partying there tonight. They have no consideration for others. Plus I don't ever support underage drinking.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:23 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,917,428 times
Quote:
LOL, y'all act like teens getting together and partying is new.

Teens nowadays are WAAAAAAY more sedate than they were in the 70s and 80s.
And people have been getting upset about just as long, too. It the cycle of life. You have to pretend to do it in secret so they'll pretend to not know anything about it. When the underage drinking parties get so loud and so well know they can be canceled in advance, they will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
Am I bothered if a seventeen year old decides to get drunk? Not really, as long as he/she doesn't drive. I'd rather see them put their resources to stopping drunk driving, or providing a safe location where they can have fun.
I don't live near there, but I'm sure it bothered the residents enough they told their representatives to kill it.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:11 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,797,919 times
Quote:
LOL, y'all act like teens getting together and partying is new.

Teens nowadays are WAAAAAAY more sedate than they were in the 70s and 80s.
My older cousins (who were in their late teens and early to mid 20s in the 80s) always say thank god they didn't have Facebook, Instagram and SnapChat back in those days.

I don't have any experience with Humarock, but have seen plenty of people drink at the beach and leave a mess. I have also seen plenty of people not drinking at the beach leave a mess when they leave. What's the story with these teenagers at Humarock? Is it they are leaving a mess? Or are they getting completely out of hand and p*$$ing off everyone else on the beach with them?

Old 07-03-2017, 09:14 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,797,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
I remember being at some absolutely crazy parties in the 80's where things were destroyed. A few things set on fire , and then the general property damage. I think the kids of today are far less destructive than previous generations. It's just that when things do happen they are not held accountable for their actions. Back when I was kid we were held accountable for things.
That just goes to show that kids have not changed; it's how adults treat them has.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:09 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
Again, a thousand partyers on the beach without adult supervision... then the next day is a huge day for the town's families to enjoy the same area for the 4th. Who is supposed to clean up after the night of wild partying? It should be the drinkers, but they will be sleeping off their massive hangovers.

And legally, the town can't condone underage drinking in a public area, especially not with a thousand of them. Massive liability issues. So it's for the best to completely shut it down.

Now if next year, some group wants to take complete responsibility for the drinking festival and the subsequent cleanup, then that's different. Get a town permit, pay for security, and card and wristband anyone allowed on the beach. It would have to be a 21 and older party. Charge admission. But it can't be an unsupervised free for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts