Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 05:51 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times

Advertisements

It depends on what metrics you use.

Traffic/congestion? F trending to F-. It makes you long for the Great Recession.

Income and wealth stratification? F trending to F-. Metro Boston is a great place to be if you're a 1%er or a 10%er who bought before housing prices became nuts. I don't understand how the median person makes it. Particularly renting.

By any rational standard, Boston has finally emerged as a world class city. 2nd tier but world class. Look at the nonstop flights to Asia. The only other east coast cities that have them are NYC and DC. Harvard & MIT still sit at the very top. Ditto MGH. It's achieved critical mass where corporations are willing to pay the high costs to have access to the talent.

If you look at the rest of the cities in the state, it's a different story. New Bedford, Fall River, Springfield, Holyoke, Brockton, Taunton, Lawrence... They're all in really tough shape. Lowell and Worcester are doing a bit better but are both still troubled.

When the next recession happens, Massachusetts has some big problems that have been masked by the economic boom. Medicaid is a ticking time bomb. Underfunded pension funds is a ticking time bomb. The flat state income tax makes everybody squeal at any hint of a state income tax hike. Ditto sales tax rates. The 50%+ of the state budget that goes to Medicaid/safety net is going to be under tremendous pressure. That just makes things tougher for that list of failed cities where most of the poor people live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 01:34 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,261,146 times
Maybe it would be more clear, or more honest, if the OP (or you, GeoffD) admitted that you're only looking at economics. But really, there is so much more to our state than only that.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:12 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
Maybe it would be more clear, or more honest, if the OP (or you, GeoffD) admitted that you're only looking at economics. But really, there is so much more to our state than only that.
I was referencing congestion, failed cities, and income stratification. That's quality of life stuff. Inside the 495 belt is great if you're a 5%er. Good luck if you're 25 and average.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:36 AM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
I guess you could say it's a victim of its own success. Where the state has failed at is providing adequate infrastructure and housing. If it got a handle on those two things, the QOL would be greatly improved for most.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:17 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I was referencing congestion, failed cities, and income stratification. That's quality of life stuff. Inside the 495 belt is great if you're a 5%er. Good luck if you're 25 and average.

Oh please, its pretty great for them too.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Oh please, its pretty great for them too.
Sure, if living in your parent's basement (like most 25 year olds I know) is all you seek out of life.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:29 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Sure, if living in your parent's basement (like most 25 year olds I know) is all you seek out of life.

Most 20 somethings I knew when I worked with a bunch of them in Boston (last company) lived in JP or Somerville or the North End with 1-3 roommates and had pretty sweet social and work lives.

Didn't know a single one living in a basement, or with parents.

The sky is falling, everyone is broke and in debt, and lives in hell holes is ridiculously overblown here.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:06 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Most 20 somethings I knew when I worked with a bunch of them in Boston (last company) lived in JP or Somerville or the North End with 1-3 roommates and had pretty sweet social and work lives.

I always tell the 20-somethings I work with that I live vicariously through them. Always out at concerts/bars/breweries and enjoying a pretty sweet social and work life. They live in Somerville, Allston, Station's Landing, Assembly Row....pretty nice places.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I always tell the 20-somethings I work with that I live vicariously through them. Always out at concerts/bars/breweries and enjoying a pretty sweet social and work life. They live in Somerville, Allston, Station's Landing, Assembly Row....pretty nice places.
There is often something missing though. Many of them are ill prepared to make the transition from this late-adolescent stage to adulthood. I'm talking about the "average" Joe for the sake of this discussion, which in mid 20s would be 30-60k per year. Of course everyone has their own story, and some (admittedly or not) rely on their parents at least somewhat to support their lifestyle. But you will often see these same kids crash and burn in a few years, back with mommy and daddy once their rent goes up too much or a few roommates decide to move out and they can't find an alternate place...I've seen it happen more times than I can count. In my own peer group; those in their 30s living with parents, broke, in debt, zero retirement savings, etc.; were the same ones who were "living it up" in their 20s. 8 out of 10 times.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:33 AM

510 posts, read 448,228 times
Cost of living ridiculous. Generation spending money as quick as they earn it. Good luck. The bottom will fall out eventually. It always does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts