Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 08:02 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times

Advertisements

As far as renting, you can find 2 BR in Natick and even Newton. Newton is a very very desirable town, and if you are ok with renting in a town that may not be an option for a purchase down the line, I'd go that route. Newton is split into villages, which serve as little cities themsleaves. Generally, it's a walkable town with great transportation options, good eats, great shopping at Chestnut Hill, some coffee shops, and some great public spaces. It's definitely going to offer more at 32 and 28 than Natick.

When it comes time to buy, you'll be hard pressed to find a single family for less than $800k in Newton. I think Natick, all things the same as far as work/budget/commute, is a great choice. You may want to consider Watertown as another viable option. It's gone through a millennial gentrification, so there is a lot of money being poured into the city. It has it's more unkept and raggedy areas, but is generally a bit nicer than Waltham. BTW, I love Waltham. Yes, it is kind of raggedy and has it's rougher looking areas, but the diversity and mix of blue collar and new millennial blood has created a really cool environment. You can find a run down Irish bar next to a coffee shop next to a barber shop next to a tapas joint next to a high end Italian place next to an auto body shop. Some great bars around Moody Street, and the new developments off of 95 offer some high end eats and shopping. It's already gotten more and more expensive, but there is still tremendous upside in Waltham because it has everything the new generation desires including proximity to the city, public transportation, and a funky lil downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 06:36 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
As far as renting, you can find 2 BR in Natick and even Newton. Newton is a very very desirable town, and if you are ok with renting in a town that may not be an option for a purchase down the line, I'd go that route. Newton is split into villages, which serve as little cities themsleaves. Generally, it's a walkable town with great transportation options, good eats, great shopping at Chestnut Hill, some coffee shops, and some great public spaces. It's definitely going to offer more at 32 and 28 than Natick.

When it comes time to buy, you'll be hard pressed to find a single family for less than $800k in Newton. I think Natick, all things the same as far as work/budget/commute, is a great choice. You may want to consider Watertown as another viable option. It's gone through a millennial gentrification, so there is a lot of money being poured into the city. It has it's more unkept and raggedy areas, but is generally a bit nicer than Waltham. BTW, I love Waltham. Yes, it is kind of raggedy and has it's rougher looking areas, but the diversity and mix of blue collar and new millennial blood has created a really cool environment. You can find a run down Irish bar next to a coffee shop next to a barber shop next to a tapas joint next to a high end Italian place next to an auto body shop. Some great bars around Moody Street, and the new developments off of 95 offer some high end eats and shopping. It's already gotten more and more expensive, but there is still tremendous upside in Waltham because it has everything the new generation desires including proximity to the city, public transportation, and a funky lil downtown.
I agree that Newton would be great for OP, but I'm not sure that they can find an apartment in their rental budget, especially a 2 BR. And I also think Waltham is worth another look - I know they said it looks run down, but there are pockets, and some very nice rentals there (although the high end ones will also be over their budget.)

Old 07-20-2017, 03:55 AM

6 posts, read 5,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneFrench View Post
Thank you so much everyone who replied! I really appreciate the input. We were a little worried about affordability, but it seems like there are definitely options out there for our budget.

I don't have a job in Boston yet, and am still looking. Another reason why we don't want to be far from the city, since my potential commute is unknown.

We were originally looking at Waltham, but my husband had a couple of hours to drive through and he said it's actually a little run down and not very clean (especially certain areas that are more affordable and within our budget). So I am very excited to check out Natick and other above mentioned towns near there since he is about to take the job offer in Framingham with Bose and there would be a pretty easy commute.
Your husband drove through Waltham and found it "a little run down and not very clean."

One thing to keep in mind about Massachusetts is the general age of its infrastructure and housing stock. What looks run down to the casual observer may be, in fact, just plain old.

Given your budget and likely commutes, I also recommend looking at Natick.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:39 AM

26 posts, read 55,451 times
A lot of recommendations for Natick ....but Framingham is really diversified in population so you get the big city/urban feel with only a 40 min. drive or so into Boston- Rentals can be found both in North and South Framingham. With MA Pike and 495 and Rte. 135 you can easily get places too. Falmouth on the Cape is only 1hr.1/2 away. The ability to walk to the train station - I should add to that apartments in the downtown area near the train station are being built as the downtown area geta revtalized. If you want to go to an area where you can walk to eateries, shops etc. then do consider waltham (Moody Street for fun places to eat etc.), and Watertown. You may have to hunt for a rental in your price range, but it will be well worth it.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:45 AM

10,015 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Parts of Framingham has that "run down" look as well. Especially the center and the southern part of town. I'd look over in the Rte. 30 area since that's close to the Bose headquarters.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-03-2017 at 06:32 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 05:19 PM

617 posts, read 538,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Mass View Post
Your husband drove through Waltham and found it "a little run down and not very clean."

One thing to keep in mind about Massachusetts is the general age of its infrastructure and housing stock. What looks run down to the casual observer may be, in fact, just plain old.

It is run down state, not because it's old, because of poor built quality and lack of maintenance. Same can be said about the whole "New England", and most of NE.

Most German towns are far older than the oldest MA town, but they look fresh and clean like on a postcard, simply because everything built with proper skills, built to last and well maintained.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:02 PM

11 posts, read 13,395 times
Most areas in greater Boston/metro west are run down/basic, unless you are able to settle in select areas of Wellesley, Weston or Newton and spend 1.3M +(minimum). Infrastructure maintenance and improvement is a challenge MA has not been able to conquer for the past several decades, so those who settle in MA should probably get used to it along with rising taxes. Also, housing affordability is a reach, so its likely most middle class homeowners won't have any money to upkeep their property. But, apparently it's a trade-off since MA is such a great place to live 🤔

Old 11-10-2017, 06:50 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,837,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
It is run down state, not because it's old, because of poor built quality and lack of maintenance. Same can be said about the whole "New England", and most of NE.

Most German towns are far older than the oldest MA town, but they look fresh and clean like on a postcard, simply because everything built with proper skills, built to last and well maintained.
This is a very interesting observation. Germany is a wealthy country and until recently it has a more unified culture than in the US--i.e., "dem deutschen Volke" with much consensus on aesthetic and other cultural standards. This is why even after so much terrible war damage many cities were rebuilt to echo the traditional atmosphere of a German town.

Massachusetts is a wealthy state in a wealthy country but with much less cultural solidity and with more laissez-faire governance. There's a lot a variety in what gets built and in how things are maintained partly because less state regulation over standards, also more uneven distribution of the social and economic goods. Wellesley, Newton and others like that do not look run down but so many other places do.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:16 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You havent lived many places then.
+1. There are grungy parts but I wouldn't say it's a dirty city.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:23 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
This is a very interesting observation. Germany is a wealthy country and until recently it has a more unified culture than in the US--i.e., "dem deutschen Volke" with much consensus on aesthetic and other cultural standards. This is why even after so much terrible war damage many cities were rebuilt to echo the traditional atmosphere of a German town.

Massachusetts is a wealthy state in a wealthy country but with much less cultural solidity and with more laissez-faire governance. There's a lot a variety in what gets built and in how things are maintained partly because less state regulation over standards, also more uneven distribution of the social and economic goods. Wellesley, Newton and others like that do not look run down but so many other places do.
Plus housing stock in New England is primarily wood clapboard and that can look run down unless it gets a lot of maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts