Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 07:35 PM

461 posts, read 554,111 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have questions about Plymouth or the Plymouth area from a single 36 year olds perspective. It may not be for a year or more when my mom may move to Plymouth but heres the situation:

I grew up around Lowell/Nashua NH area..Billerica/Chelmsford to be exact. Lived in both. I left MA, came back a few times already and now I am in Florida but could be moving again down the road.

I've told my mom how it may not be a great idea to buy into this glamourized version into coming back to MA that her best friend talked her into. Those times have come and gone for me where I thought moving back to MA and staying was an option. Wrong I was. Some other family problems got in the way but this is what I said to her.. If you have to move back.. dont go near the Cape.

Truthfully, I only been to Plymouth 2 times in my life.. It wouldnt feel like home to me honestly. Its a whole other world. I technically know areas out of state that I been better than I know Plymouth or the Cape. One includes Portland Oregon which maybe I could go to since my stepdad has ties there. My heart is telling me that would be better... but what do y'all say? To those who know Plymouth and have lived around it, would it be good for someone like me seeking a social life or activities, a lot of hangout spots? I personally dont think so but I figure I'd ask. I hear mixed things on Plymouth.. some of the street views looked nice but all I remember is Plimoth Plantation when I took trips as a kid but never ever in my wildest dreams saw it as a place to move to let alone the cape. I am accustomed to smaller city/suburbanesque living toward New Hampshire. I love NH. My mom refuses to move there though no matter how much money she may save. For someone in the Gen X/Millennial age group, I see MA as a high taxed state thats very uniform, people are set in their ways and if it falls, it will fall hard.

You tell me though.. would any bit of me like Plymouth from how it sounds? Mostly italian, 36 yr old single guy, into alternative rock and indie rock music.. Anti establishment political views. I wont get into the left vs right thing as I take on both but I do consider myself agnostic. Personally I Feel Portland area or St Petersburg FL where I already am is a better fit.. The only positive I can think about Plymouth is that it be a similar climate and historic. It might be quaint for someone who likes it quieter as he gets older.. but I still could be a little too alternative for the regular lifestyle there nonetheless. I've joked though about how I'd prefer a place like Plattsburgh or Winooski VT to Plymouth though. I also have family there but moving to Upper NY probably wont happen. I have options but dont know which one will be the winner yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 08:40 AM

3,685 posts, read 7,421,575 times
If your mother moves to Plymouth, MA, what requirement is there for you to also move there?

Old 07-26-2017, 08:47 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
If your mother moves to Plymouth, MA, what requirement is there for you to also move there?

Yeah, not following this either.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:33 PM

461 posts, read 554,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Eh well if thats her long term decision which it isnt proven yet, I'll have to go there or somewhere around it. It looks like her and my stepdad will split off for a little bit though because he took a job in Oregon and she will fly there to live and rent, check it out in person and then when she decides and he cosigns I guess is how its gonna work, then they'll find their long term home but who knows. She still has to go there and rent to see what its like first. If she learns she doesnt care much for it and she finds theres not many other options because theres some places she hates in MA too and NH.. she wouldnt like RI or CT either at all.. She dont want VT or Maine either. So she might just say to hell with it and not go or return to the west coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts