Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 07:05 AM

636 posts, read 699,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
A part of me thinks this may in fact be racial. As evidenced by the "this isn't racial but.." "booming car stereo type downtown"

Mansfield Easton were mentioned. Two towns where I know more than one black family. My guess is you saw more than two black people saw a semi-urban environment and made a personal downgrade.

Here's the news wror.. this is the fastest growing state in the north east Massachusetts is trying to add tens and thousands of units in the next 15 years many people who formally would have settled in Boston or lived in Boston have been pushed out to the South Shore will land is cheaper and some towns are in need of additional revenue these apartment complexes it being built in Quincy Dedham Randolph Easton Canton Mansfield are going to keep proliferatibg for 20 years. The urbanization of eastern mass will not end-just get used to it

I have been lambasting the new Mansfield Monster building which i assume will be wealthy whites. More whites moving into Mansfield, would that not make a racist happy?

"booming car stereo type downtown" Blacks and Whites drive "booming car stereos". Perhaps its racial for someone to assume only blacks or only whites drive "booming car stereos"
Incidentally, never saw the color of the drivers in the "booming car stereo type downtown".

I do agree the urbanization of eastern mass is not going to end. Dedham Mass was a farming community not too many generations ago. The Roxbury section was a wealthy Jewish community not too long ago. Easton was once a farming community this generation.
Brockton Mass in the 1950s had one of the highest property values south of Boston. And 99% White, according to a pronouncement made by the former Black Superintendent of Brockton schools who grew up in Brockton during the 1950s
Urbanization happens.

For this generation, Mansfield still has a small town charm. I recommend Mansfield but the downgrade because a monster Mansfield building is likely to add more population [more whites] in Mansfield.

By the way, when the electricity goes out for more than 3 days, good god if months, in the urbanized areas of the country because of NKorea or some other country or terrorist. Have fun

Last edited by wror; 08-04-2017 at 07:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 03:42 PM

617 posts, read 532,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
For this generation, Mansfield still has a small town charm. I recommend Mansfield but the downgrade because a monster Mansfield building is likely to add more population [more whites] in Mansfield.

By the way, when the electricity goes out for more than 3 days, good god if months, in the urbanized areas of the country because of NKorea or some other country or terrorist. Have fun
I like small town charm too, however I don't like when I have to have my own well and run heating on oil. I also still don't get why quality of roads in MA is so dreadful, especially in those small towns, and why there is so much garbage on sides of the roads, even in expensive cities.
So I hope the urbanization will lead to better roads, garbage cleanup and clean natural gas available to all homes - this is 21st century BTW.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:01 AM

104 posts, read 171,446 times
I can't imagine thinking, 'wow, they just built this 1 apartment complex with approximately 150 people living in it. This town is ruined. It's pretty much North Korea, if the power goes out.'

Old 09-10-2017, 10:08 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,039,242 times
Quote:
Didnt know that, "the commute by train is already miserable and overcrowded before anyone at Mansfield even boards". I took the Mansfield stop somewhat often in the 80s,early 90s, and it was a nice ride while the other Train stations in the state, passengers were packed in like sardines including standing all the way to work. Guess the commute by train , Mansfield to Boston is no longer a town charm.

As the thread post says, Downgrade for Mansfield.

Incidentally, many high priced apartment complexes opened in Brockton in the 70s,80s. They are all run down section 8 housing just about today.The point being: dont let high priced apartment complexes fool ya.
During your days of commute the line ended in Attleboro. Service restarted into Providence and the South Attleboro station was built. Add two new stations south of Providence and the train is quite full by the time it reached Mansfield in the morning. There are a couple of trains that do not stop between Mansfield and Back Bay. There use to be a train that originated in Mansfield into Boston each morning.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
During your days of commute the line ended in Attleboro. Service restarted into Providence and the South Attleboro station was built. Add two new stations south of Providence and the train is quite full by the time it reached Mansfield in the morning. There are a couple of trains that do not stop between Mansfield and Back Bay. There use to be a train that originated in Mansfield into Boston each morning.

I recall decades ago and as a Mansfield resident, when i took the Mansfield train to Boston, a train trip from Mansfield to Boston was 22 minutes. Seeing now it is about 36 minutes which is not bad, but 22 minutes was so nice and a real perk for living in Mansfield. It was surreal to go from a rural town environment into a major urban environment into a couple blinks of then eyes.
Perhaps these were the "' train[s] that originated in Mansfield into Boston each morning'"

Old 09-12-2017, 08:11 AM

9,922 posts, read 15,493,594 times
Mansfield has an express train every morning, it takes 30 minutes or so.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Yea but it was 22 minutes Mansfield to Boston at one time. Even according to official schedules at the time. Not even enough time to finish a cup of coffee

Old 09-13-2017, 09:07 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,668,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Unless you literally live next door to the train station and work next door to South Station, it's still going to take you an hour door to door, and that's assuming absolutely nothing goes wrong. On the way home, there is no equivalent train so you need to tack on another 15 minutes (disembarking at 128 and/or Sharon adds several minutes to the trip).

Obviously by Boston standards it's an average commute, but I certainly wouldn't move to Mansfield expecting an easy commute to Boston. People do it for affordability reasons only, not convenience.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:09 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,668,443 times
Quote:
Yea but it was 22 minutes Mansfield to Boston at one time. Even according to official schedules at the time. Not even enough time to finish a cup of coffee
The official schedule is completely worthless and shouldn't be relied upon for anything other than general guidance.

Ridership is probably significantly higher nowadays as more people commute in from Attleboro and beyond into RI. The expansion to Wickford Junction negatively affected the reliability of the Providence line IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts