Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 08:47 AM

55 posts, read 87,564 times

Advertisements

The attack wasn't made based strictly on race. Take it from someone who grew up in Quincy. Milton and Quincy kids have been getting into these fights for years. I was a kid back in the eighties and it happened frequently back then. It's really stupid it happens at all. Fighting because you grow up in a certain city or town? People are making a big deal of it because it's black and white kids but the fact is kids beat on each other all the time for a variety of stupid reasons. The amount of racist comments I've read over this incident are just as disturbing as the video if not more so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 09:43 AM

636 posts, read 704,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardport1996 View Post
Massachusetts is the most racist state I have ever visited/ lived in. The state is packed full of "limousine liberals" who will talk until they are blue in the face about how MA is so progressive. It's 100 percent divided into black and white, and the money trail will lead you to white neighborhoods that have money and connections to keep minorities out. So fake. And, don't be fooled just because they had a black Governor. That's just a dog and pony show put on to convince the country how open minded they really are ��...
Back in the late 1990s, Black students from Boston were listing 'Brookline Ma addresses' so they could attend the Brookline Public Schools. Brookline ,Ma, perhaps the most Liberal, most Progressive,pro-ethnic diversity community in New England. But still predominately White Liberals.
Word got out Black students from Boston were attending the Brookline public schools. The Brookline Ma Police, subservient to Brookline Official directives,the Brookline PD assigned detectives to follow home black students from the Brookline public schools to make sure they did not live in Boston. They found at least one Black student from Boston attending the Brookline Public schools. The Black student was an upstanding honor student but kicked out of the Brookline schools.
All of the above was covered in the Brookline Tab newspaper,circa early 1999, as well as a topic on the WBZ David Brudnoy Show---After i sent him a copy of the Brookline Tab to him.

Then the old joke about Liberal Boston Globe Editors. If you want to call them after 5pm , dial 1 first. They live in the Lincolns and Wellesleys

Yes, Money leads to the whitest, most Liberal,most racist towns in Massachusetts.

Last edited by wror; 08-04-2017 at 09:59 AM..

Old 08-04-2017, 01:55 PM

319 posts, read 503,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsox15 View Post
The attack wasn't made based strictly on race. Take it from someone who grew up in Quincy. Milton and Quincy kids have been getting into these fights for years. I was a kid back in the eighties and it happened frequently back then. It's really stupid it happens at all. Fighting because you grow up in a certain city or town? People are making a big deal of it because it's black and white kids but the fact is kids beat on each other all the time for a variety of stupid reasons. The amount of racist comments I've read over this incident are just as disturbing as the video if not more so.

I agree. It looks more like a (for lack of better description) townie versus outsider type of fight.
I grew up in a Boston neighborhood and went to Tufts for college. When I wasn't attending class,
working some 30 hours per week, or studying, most of my recreation involved things that were free.

Among them was to go to the outdoor basketball court at the edge of campus with my ball and just shoot around, usually on a Friday
night, or Saturday night. This was in the end of the 80's early 90's. You had local kids from the neighborhood (what they used to call townies) who would come to Tufts and use the basketball court so you could typically find someone to shoot around with or even pickup a game or two.
At the time Medford/Somerville was not the Medford/Somerville of today.

There were occasionally fights typically involving "townies" and Tufts students. The fight usually started because, for example, someone fowled a little too hard in a basketball game, the kid from the neighborhood protested with 'what the fudge' (use your imagination) to which the Tufts student would say something obnoxious, usually about the perceived lower socioeconomic status of the neighborhood kid.

I never had a problem as I grew up in a neighborhood of Boston myself and was simply there to shoot hoops and talk about the Red Sox. Often the neighborhood kids from Medford/Somerville would ask me where I live to which my muted response was
umm I go here and they were always surprised typically saying "really? could have fooled me
because you're not an (expletive)."

Anyway, I think this has more to do with local/out of town fight than race. No, it's not right. But it's been happening since way way back. Also, out of context, nobody knows what presumably may have happened leading up to the altercation. I'm not condoning it and am saddened by it. I just don't read beyond what it appears to be. It is disturbing just the amount of race-based vitriol that has been written in response to the posting.

My only issue is that kids these days are kicking each other in the head or hitting each other when one is down. When I was a kid, the unwritten rule was that the scuffle stopped when one of them decided to walk away or went down.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:44 PM

23,438 posts, read 18,614,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsox15 View Post
If it wasn't about race, then the Herald owes an apology.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
If it wasn't about race, then the Herald owes an apology.
The Herald is trying to sell papers, drive click traffic to their site, and sell advertisement space.
Sensationalism coupled with a play on peoples' fears and perception of the worst in human nature
is always a money maker. Their goal is not to inform the public, rather it is to maximize profit.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:37 PM

23,438 posts, read 18,614,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmassphd View Post
The Herald is trying to sell papers, drive click traffic to their site, and sell advertisement space.
Sensationalism coupled with a play on peoples' fears and perception of the worst in human nature
is always a money maker. Their goal is not to inform the public, rather it is to maximize profit.
I agree. They are no better than the Globe anymore.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:47 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,097,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I agree. They are no better than the Globe anymore.
It may not be strictly about race, but it certainly is about being a thug and carrying on like a thug. I live in Quincy and whether this type of behavior is common or not elsewhere, I am still really sadden and shocked by it. I can go for weeks without seeing any black people in Quincy (at least in my section of the city and where I choose to go) and it's sad that when I do, it's in a newspaper article about some thuggy kid being an arsehole in Quincy.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
It may not be strictly about race, but it certainly is about being a thug and carrying on like a thug. I live in Quincy and whether this type of behavior is common or not elsewhere, I am still really sadden and shocked by it. I can go for weeks without seeing any black people in Quincy (at least in my section of the city and where I choose to go) and it's sad that when I do, it's in a newspaper article about some thuggy kid being an arsehole in Quincy.
I don't understand what you are saying, ergo I ask with sincerity. Is your expression one of a sentiment that the few times you see a black person it is saddening that it is something negative?

Please remember it is teenagers/youths. Virtually every town with any amount of a teen population will have some issues and, unfortunately, it includes fighting.

When I was a kid and it still holds true today, some of the most dangerous people are not what we used to call "hoodlums" rather it was what we used to call "wanna be" hoodlums or "wanna be's" as we used to say. These were the kids who wanted to be a little tough guy because he (usually he) thought it was cool or brought status. I learned very very early to be who you are because, in my neighborhood, the "wanna be" behavior could literally get you killed because it was only a matter of when and not if you came across someone who was an honest to goodness hoodlum.

My example is this. Why did this group of kids go to Quincy to act tough? If they were so tough, why didn't they go to the worst part of Geneva ave in Dorchester (not to pick on it, but I know this area) to start trouble? Why? Because they know better. There is a high likelihood of meeting up with an honest to goodness hoodlum and get seriously hurt or perhaps worse.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:22 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,097,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmassphd View Post
I don't understand what you are saying, ergo I ask with sincerity. Is your expression one of a sentiment that the few times you see a black person it is saddening that it is something negative?

Please remember it is teenagers/youths. Virtually every town with any amount of a teen population will have some issues and, unfortunately, it includes fighting.

When I was a kid and it still holds true today, some of the most dangerous people are not what we used to call "hoodlums" rather it was what we used to call "wanna be" hoodlums or "wanna be's" as we used to say. These were the kids who wanted to be a little tough guy because he (usually he) thought it was cool or brought status. I learned very very early to be who you are because, in my neighborhood, the "wanna be" behavior could literally get you killed because it was only a matter of when and not if you came across someone who was an honest to goodness hoodlum.

My example is this. Why did this group of kids go to Quincy to act tough? If they were so tough, why didn't they go to the worst part of Geneva ave in Dorchester (not to pick on it, but I know this area) to start trouble? Why? Because they know better. There is a high likelihood of meeting up with an honest to goodness hoodlum and get seriously hurt or perhaps worse.
As I understand it, the black kid is from Quincy (he failed out of Quincy high and is on the north Quincy football team?) and I am assuming the rest of the thugs are also from Quincy. And....those kids getting harrassed looked like they are from Milton. And yes, I do mean that the few times I see or hear about blacks in Quincy it's in crappy stories like this. There are many Asian kids in Quincy but I don't see or hear about them harassing anybody.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
As I understand it, the black kid is from Quincy (he failed out of Quincy high and is on the north Quincy football team?) and I am assuming the rest of the thugs are also from Quincy. And....those kids getting harrassed looked like they are from Milton. And yes, I do mean that the few times I see or hear about blacks in Quincy it's in crappy stories like this. There are many Asian kids in Quincy but I don't see or hear about them harassing anybody.
There are absolutely Asian gangs in Quincy and Randolph. You just don't see many news reports about it.
There was a home invasion in Randolph just last month involving Hispanic and Asian.

It didn't draw the same sensational news coverage because it doesn't fit the manufactured boogeyman narrative that sells newspapers and draws clicks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts