Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 08:41 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
But it could make the job market more competitive at the lower end, therefore squeezing out those with the least skills, disabled people, etc.
That's actually why the disabled are exempt from the minimum wage. Because for all the blustering emotional appeals, the legislators at the end of the day do actually realize that economics is real and that in many cases, a disabled person simply can't produce at the minimum wage decided upon. A job is better than no job.

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/wages/subminimumwage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 09:17 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
That's actually why the disabled are exempt from the minimum wage. Because for all the blustering emotional appeals, the legislators at the end of the day do actually realize that economics is real and that in many cases, a disabled person simply can't produce at the minimum wage decided upon. A job is better than no job.

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/wages/subminimumwage
Does this apply in MA, or are they not exempt there from the state's min. wage? I have never heard of such. Also, that does not apply to all disabilities. I know some companies voluntarily make it a point to hire PWDs, I figure there is some sort of tax breaks or incentives to do so.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:12 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
Quote:
Does this apply in MA, or are they not exempt there from the state's min. wage? I have never heard of such. Also, that does not apply to all disabilities. I know some companies voluntarily make it a point to hire PWDs, I figure there is some sort of tax breaks or incentives to do so.
In MA There is a waiver process that an employer needs to go through to pay disabled people less than minimum wage.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:47 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
I write this every time a minimum wage thread comes up...

Personally, I wouldn't hire someone who is only worth paying the minimum wage. I'd waste all my time supervising them because they wouldn't be able to work undirected. My time is worth far more than the $10/hour to $15/hour I'd save hiring a minimum wage person instead of paying more for someone with some neurons, some motivation, and some job skills.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:30 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Personally, I wouldn't hire someone who is only worth paying the minimum wage. I'd waste all my time supervising them because they wouldn't be able to work undirected. My time is worth far more than the $10/hour to $15/hour I'd save hiring a minimum wage person instead of paying more for someone with some neurons, some motivation, and some job skills.
IDK. When I was in high school earning min. wage or not far above, I was doing circles around most of the guys with all the "skills" and experience.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:11 PM

3,214 posts, read 2,120,946 times
Yeah. i remember making $7 in 1994 running a printing press. I Did my best. I showed up. I learned. i made enough money for gas and fun. then i moved on. each job I have had i took prior knowledge and leveraged for better for myself. Does this logic still not apply?

Old 09-06-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Companies will jump at the chance to hire people with disabilities to save money on the labor. Almost all companies would voluntarily do this where possible. Nobody is being forced.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

If you run a business, you know that there is always something to do. If minimum wage were low enough (or GASP- there were no minimum wage, such as in Scandinavia), you wouldn't hire a teenager for $4 to do some menial tasks? I agree that the minimum wage so high just forces you to do extra work yourself and isn't worth it to employ somebody else. But if it were lower, I'm sure you could use the help in one way or other.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:57 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
IDK. When I was in high school earning min. wage or not far above, I was doing circles around most of the guys with all the "skills" and experience.

Same here. 6 mons into my min wage job when I was in HS, I looked around and saw most others on my level did the bare minimum while I was trying my hardest. I said the hell with this, and quit and went out and found jobs that paid more. Every single job since has been the same mentality. Do my time, gain my experience, and leverage that against the next position.

I do understand that there are people out there with skills that won't allow them to do anything more than a basic min wage job. It's easy to say that min wage was never meant to be a career, but at the same time, the same people say the work force is advancing and becoming a high tech work force. So what sort of jobs do people do who can't compete in that sort of marketplace?

I hate to say it, but I think we will see a day come when UBI is coming

Old 09-06-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Same here. 6 mons into my min wage job when I was in HS, I looked around and saw most others on my level did the bare minimum while I was trying my hardest. I said the hell with this, and quit and went out and found jobs that paid more. Every single job since has been the same mentality. Do my time, gain my experience, and leverage that against the next position.

I do understand that there are people out there with skills that won't allow them to do anything more than a basic min wage job. It's easy to say that min wage was never meant to be a career, but at the same time, the same people say the work force is advancing and becoming a high tech work force. So what sort of jobs do people do who can't compete in that sort of marketplace?

I hate to say it, but I think we will see a day come when UBI is coming
All of history is full of technology improving and putting people out of work. Luckily we can produce so much in so little time and effort now. It's more likely that we will see work days shrink and more time off will come because of our productive capacity, thanks to technology. But I do agree that the minimum wage keeps low skilled people out. It's quite unfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts