Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2017, 04:02 PM

880 posts, read 818,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I've never met an engineer from Harvard. Their program was tiny until a decade ago. In my personal work experience, I encountered a few places with high concentrations of brass rat. BBN Labs was like that back in the day. Most places, engineers come from all over.
Harvard probably have smaller number than MIT, Bill gates and Mark Zuckerberg probably don't count since they dropped out of Harvard

engineers from all over, but Amazon only want the best. In reality they get the left overs from Google and Facebook

Point is, a top engineer is not going to move to a geographic location without top startups.. even if housing is cheap, they are not moving to a place where there are only a handful of companies to choose from.
they are all chasing stock options
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 04:47 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
And yes I LOOOVE HP! bUt it has historically had the worst non DRM BPS schools in the city

Hey, I wouldn't know that 1+3=B if it wasn't for Hyde Park High!

Old 09-23-2017, 07:53 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times
Engineers are a dime a dozen in the boston area. They aren't that special and amazon needs to get over itself also

Old 09-23-2017, 11:08 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Harvard probably have smaller number than MIT, Bill gates and Mark Zuckerberg probably don't count since they dropped out of Harvard

engineers from all over, but Amazon only want the best. In reality they get the left overs from Google and Facebook

Point is, a top engineer is not going to move to a geographic location without top startups.. even if housing is cheap, they are not moving to a place where there are only a handful of companies to choose from.
they are all chasing stock options
If you think Amazon is going to come to Boston cause of engineers I disagree. They are almost like lawyer and they are all over the place. Amazon can find or attract them anywhere so they aren't moving to a location because people think their education is superior.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:39 AM

14,008 posts, read 14,995,436 times
An HQ has every kind of job imaginable Sales, HR, marketing, engineering, accounting, etc. the fact that Boston has colleges that have a wide breadth of elite programs is a massive asset.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alidmc View Post
More Mass. Communities Jump In To Bid For Amazon's Second HQ | Bostonomix
Gov. Charlie Baker: Massachusetts will bid for Amazon HQ | masslive.com

So far it looks like Haverhill, Lawrence and North Andover put in a joint bid for the Osgood site. Boston seems to be preparing one as well, as does Revere (Suffolk Downs). Good idea or not, I don't think an elected official has much of a choice but to throw a hat in the ring with 50K potential jobs in play.
If Lawrence is bidding I can't believe Worcester isn't. Worcester has tons of assets that Lawrence/Haverhill doesn't.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:21 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
If you think Amazon is going to come to Boston cause of engineers I disagree. They are almost like lawyer and they are all over the place. Amazon can find or attract them anywhere so they aren't moving to a location because people think their education is superior.
Exactly. hate to put a damper on the typical Boston-is-so-smart parade, but it's true.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Exactly. hate to put a damper on the typical Boston-is-so-smart parade, but it's true.
It is absolutely true it's harder to attract people to places that they have no connection to. That's why even in booming places like Houston the majority of migration is from in state. Due to its enormous amount of universities tons of highly educated people are familiar with Boston and or have established social networks within or around the city even if they don't live in the region. So it would be easier to recruit people to (or convince people to hang around after school) Boston than other cities like Detroit or Nashville where people those people would be heading into the unknown.

There is a reason Amazon already has 2,000 employees in Cambridge.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:35 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,180,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Canton is a lot more convenient to Boston than Burlington, at least by commuter rail.
Burlington does have express buses. Canton has six trains that will get you to South Station between 6:00 and 9:00 in about a half hour; Burlington has 13 buses that will get you to State Street between 6:00 and 9:00 in 40 minutes to an hour.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:41 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It is absolutely true it's harder to attract people to places that they have no connection to. That's why even in booming places like Houston the majority of migration is from in state. Due to its enormous amount of universities tons of highly educated people are familiar with Boston and or have established social networks within or around the city even if they don't live in the region. So it would be easier to recruit people to (or convince people to hang around after school) Boston than other cities like Detroit or Nashville where people those people would be heading into the unknown.

There is a reason Amazon already has 2,000 employees in Cambridge.
Texas is a gigantic state. Not really a great point.

I actually think Nashville is an easier sell than Boston. I think most people nowadays would prefer to relocate there than here. Numbers seem to back that up. It's also a lot cheaper. And people really don't like winter overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts