Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2017, 02:03 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Kind of my whole point. Higher prices can be caused by a limited supply in addition to a higher perceived desirability. The Boston area is facing a chronic shortage of inventory right now. The market is influenced by desperate homebuyers, just like someone in PR might be desperate for a fresh warm brownie right about now.
Maybe your words will be clearer, this is the point I've been trying to make!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
People in Massachusetts will ***** about it to other people from the state, but defend the heck out of it if someone else says something negative. Based off my experience most people in WNY you could tell them their town sucks as an outsider and they'll largely agree and then complain about their city. Try doing that in Boston to an actual native.
People in Massachusetts also feel free to trash pretty much any city, regardless of having ever visited or not, then defend the heck out of their own. Can dish it out, can't take it. Great Lakes folks are more inclined to not pick stupid battles with people who clearly don't know what they're talking about. And I guess some WNY towns probably do actually suck. Though it's a lovely region to be honest. Just not in winter.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:35 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
People in Massachusetts also feel free to trash pretty much any city, regardless of having ever visited or not, then defend the heck out of their own. Can dish it out, can't take it. Great Lakes folks are more inclined to not pick stupid battles with people who clearly don't know what they're talking about. And I guess some WNY towns probably do actually suck. Though it's a lovely region to be honest. Just not in winter.
I'm just saying, I know people from all over the Northeast and Eastern Midwest, and by far the most prideful as a group are Bay Staters. (maybe New Jersey buy that's more of a defensive stance).

Old 09-28-2017, 04:42 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
I'm just saying, I know people from all over the Northeast and Eastern Midwest, and by far the most prideful as a group are Bay Staters. (maybe New Jersey buy that's more of a defensive stance).

I found Wisconsinites to be far more proud than Baystaters. Same with Californians.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:14 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I found Wisconsinites to be far more proud than Baystaters. Same with Californians.
I don't know enough people from west of Michigan/Indiana to really make a judgement there.

I do have a question were you there are were they in MA?

Telling people from Rochester I'm from Mass you get a lot of "why are you here" kind of questions, there is no place in the world a you could tell a Bostonian that youre from and they would reply something to the effect "you moved here from there?

Old 09-28-2017, 05:53 PM

880 posts, read 819,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Kind of my whole point. Higher prices can be caused by a limited supply in addition to a higher perceived desirability. The Boston area is facing a chronic shortage of inventory right now. The market is influenced by desperate homebuyers, just like someone in PR might be desperate for a fresh warm brownie right about now.
Someone in Boston can choose to look for another job in another area(mandated city workers included) or choose to move to cheaper part of Boston. People in PR cannot choose not to starve.

I would agree with your analogy if this was a blip, but its been very very very expensive in Boston for over 7 years now. Mortgage requirements have not loosened so clearly the people who are buying at these crazy prices can afford it. Jobs for tech, biotech pay very well these days...

Getting back on track regarding Amazon, it seems like if MBTA extended the commuter rail and made it more frequent, workers would have more choice in cheaper commute distance housing. If 50k high paying jobs is not incentive enough then MBTA improvements will never happen...

Old 09-28-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I don't know enough people from west of Michigan/Indiana to really make a judgement there.

Telling people from Rochester I'm from Mass you get a lot of "why are you here" kind of questions, there is no place in the world a you could tell a Bostonian that youre from and they would reply something to the effect "you moved here from there?
Ohio does actually have a lot of pride too. Go to an Ohio state game sometime. Nothing even almost similar on the coast. Cleveland has like 4 shops that only sell clothes with Cleveland themes. In many ways, Ohio is a much prouder place than here. So I'm not quite sure I think either of us is "correct" but maybe just different experiences.

I think places in the industrial North do have a tendency to downplay themselves, but I don't think it means they don't like their city. Sometimes it might even be a kind of indirect insult to the coastal folks, read as "oh you must be too cool for school, why did you move here?" Not saying that's right, but depending where you are it might be the case.

I have heard a lot of people here envy warm places though. You definitely hear people ask others from Miami or new Orleans or austin or Los angeles etc why they moved to boston.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:03 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
I think with us it's often a defensive stance too. We are so used to getting #$%& upon, especially since the Pats started winning Super Bowls.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:04 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Sometimes it might even be a kind of indirect insult to the coastal folks, read as "oh you must be too cool for school, why did you move here?" Not saying that's right, but depending where you are it might be the case.
This too, definitely.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:38 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:

I lived there. I never got a why did you move here in either place, the locals were immensely proud of their areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts