Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 07:49 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

The issue is that right now the Boston area is already suffocating from a lack of housing with horrible roads and transit infrastructure. 50k MORE jobs??? Not gonna happen. Not without major upgrades at least underway.

But I don't understand people saying that they have to be on mass transit, and then in the same paragraph suggest they will probably end up in Raleigh or someplace. What mass transit do they have there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 08:00 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,323,101 times
I still dont see how Amazon alone would create 50k jobs?? That's a LOT.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I still dont see how Amazon alone would create 50k jobs?? That's a LOT.
Who cares, it's still the last thing Boston needs right now.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:58 AM

349 posts, read 320,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The issue is that right now the Boston area is already suffocating from a lack of housing with horrible roads and transit infrastructure. 50k MORE jobs??? Not gonna happen. Not without major upgrades at least underway.

But I don't understand people saying that they have to be on mass transit, and then in the same paragraph suggest they will probably end up in Raleigh or someplace. What mass transit do they have there?
I agree that Boston needs foresight to upgrade housing and infrastructure to meet growing demand. This is a really good problem to have, all things considered. It is possible for Boston to accept many more companies without commensurate residential housing, but then you get Bay Area prices where single family homes are 1.5-2.5 million.

For those complaining about current housing costs, Boston is pretty affordable when compared against other top tier tech/research cities such as SF, NYC, DC, and LA. The affordability can get much worse than the current situation, I assure you. All the more reason to develop aggressively.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowstatus View Post
I agree that Boston needs foresight to upgrade housing and infrastructure to meet growing demand. This is a really good problem to have, all things considered. It is possible for Boston to accept many more companies without commensurate residential housing, but then you get Bay Area prices where single family homes are 1.5-2.5 million.

For those complaining about current housing costs, Boston is pretty affordable when compared against other top tier tech/research cities such as SF, NYC, DC, and LA. The affordability can get much worse than the current situation, I assure you. All the more reason to develop aggressively.
Nobody wants Boston to become like any of those cities anyway, but they at least do a better job at providing housing and infrastructure. And other than SF, I would be surprised if housing is much more expensive.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:37 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
I think it's more likely it goes somewhere like Nashville.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:00 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
I sure many a state will be giving incentives.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:56 AM

880 posts, read 819,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I think it's more likely it goes somewhere like Nashville.

Extremely unlikely, if you are in the high tech sector you will know very difficult it is to find quality engineers. The only hope to find this many software engineers is Boston, Texas, California, most tech prefer straight out of school for cheaper salaries and then just train them up

Old 09-09-2017, 09:19 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
I would LOVE it if they opened their second headquarters here. But their point that they want a city more affordable than Seattle I think pretty much nixes us.

I think St. Louis would be a very interesting and great choice, but they won't pick it. St.Louis has some issues right now, and I'm not sure people will want to relocate there. (However, it would be a great place for a company headquarters -- roughly equidistant from both coasts, plus not so far from places like Chicago, Minneapolis, Dallas, Nashville). Housing is relatively inexpensive, you can live close to the city for a not insane price. It's a very easy place to live, plus they have all the major leagues sports teams and get all the concerts, etc. In addition they have top quality healthcare, and a great higher ed institution right there.

If they really wanted to do something that could change a lot, they could pick Detroit. Ann Arbor produces its share of techies, and they have several major educational institutions right there. Plus great healthcare. It would be super cheap. But I don't even see it listed as a contender.

My guess is they go to Chicago. (Which, of course, is always a great choice.)

Old 09-09-2017, 09:27 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowstatus View Post

Boston is more expensive than DC.

I've wondered when some company decides they're going to build some kind of residential buildings to attract talent in places where real estate is very expensive. I haven't heard of companies doing it, but apparently it is done in China for the assembly type jobs. You could have higher end units for people who are in higher level jobs. Something like this could certainly attract younger people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts