U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 03:45 PM

4,228 posts, read 5,405,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Somewhere along I-95 in Southeastern MA.
+1 on this. Unless you really meant "beach" when you said "parks or beach". The ocean is nice, but you pay a premium for it. Commuter rail southwest of Boston is generally better than other directions and with express trains on the Providence line you can live pretty far and still have a reasonable commute time to Boston.

From a strategic standpoint, I don't think it's worth trying to live close to Connecticut as anything but a tiebreaker. Even if you go down every week, 10 minutes five times a week is fifty minutes once a week.

Also, it's worth looking at what you can get for $500k in any of the towns you're considering.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 08:47 PM

6 posts, read 7,110 times
thanks frazil, we really like the idea of hull. its hard to get a feel from streetview if the streets have that quiet, "Teach your kid to ride a bike here" feel or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazil View Post
Hull (south shore) checks off all your boxes. Especially if you are interested in being near the coast/beach and commuting by ferry.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:27 PM

3,395 posts, read 1,944,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonanza View Post
thanks frazil, we really like the idea of hull. its hard to get a feel from streetview if the streets have that quiet, "Teach your kid to ride a bike here" feel or not.
It's a blue-collar town with a fishing backbone. Some nicer neighborhoods, mostly very middle of the road. Not sure why you'd choose Hull with little kids, a $500k budget and no ties to the town. Schools rank pretty poorly, no downtown, small population.

When you visit, I think you'll agree.. it's night and day compared to a Natick or a Milton, especially the "ride your bike/block party" neighborhood feel.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:41 AM

51 posts, read 55,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonanza View Post
I would say it definitely has that feel - case in point my 2 kids learned to ride their bikes on our street and now they ride (or walk) all throughout town - to the playground, soccer field, coffee shop, the beach, ice cream shop, surf camp, friend's houses - sometimes with us, sometimes now the older one on their own

As with any town, you will want to check out how busy a particular street you are considering living on is. But Hull has a unique geography (which you will see on a map) - it's one big long and narrow peninsula that ends in the ocean. No one drives through Hull to get anywhere else. So other than a couple of the busier main roads people use to get in and out of town (in particular George Washington Blvd, Nantasket Ave and Atlantic Ave - and those have sidewalks), almost all the other streets are little side streets with not too much traffic, kids playing together, friendly neighborhoods, people hanging out on their porches or yards, folks watch out for each other. And there are lots of block parties, neighborhood associations, people are very welcoming and friendly.

We have lived here over 15 years, moved here from out of state. Both our kids have attended the schools here since kindergarten (now one in elementary and one in middle school). We love the town, the people, the sense of community, the excellent schools, the amazing open spaces and beaches, recreational opportunities, easy access to Boston (via ferry and train), etc.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazil View Post
We have lived here over 15 years, moved here from out of state. Both our kids have attended the schools here since kindergarten (now one in elementary and one in middle school). We love the town, the people, the sense of community, the excellent schools, the amazing open spaces and beaches, recreational opportunities, easy access to Boston (via ferry and train), etc.
As an outsider, let's take emotion from a current resident out of it.. This is how Niche, for example, ranks Hull in comparison to the rest of the state:

https://www.niche.com/k12/d/hull-public-schools-ma/
https://www.niche.com/places-to-live/hull-plymouth-ma/

I wouldn't put too much into the ranking as they have varying degrees of accuracy, but Hull is not very highly regarded for a family.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
As an outsider, let's take emotion from a current resident out of it...
huh?

I'm not sure what my emotion (?) has to do with it.

In fact the entire point of asking about communities on a forum such as this is exactly to hear from current residents, or those knowledgeable about a region, city, or town (which you clearly are not - in fact you stated yourself in an earlier post "PS: I'm a metrowest/Merrimack Valley guy that frequents the north shore, so my familiarity with south/southwest is fairly limited.") - rather than relying on the 'rankings' generated by a computer algorithm.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:15 PM

I like where I am from, and you like where you are from. It totally makes sense.

The goal of this forum is to give opinions and comparisons on towns, cities, communities, even current events. When i say 'take the emotion out of it', I simply meant let's remove your nostalgia and ties to the town for a second, and for the sake of my post, i'm going to offer an alternative outsiders perspective. The forum allows for your opinions as an insider, and I think it's vital. My follow-up, and goal, was/is to compare the two or three or four towns that align with the OP requirements based on my time in the towns.

Now, when running through comparisons of things like school systems, I think it's fair to pull in rankings, demographics, etc.. Even if the rankings are 25% off because of incorrect data or unfamiliarity, it can be used as a supporting data point. Plus, test scores are test scores. That's hard data.

Anyways, Hull is a perfectly fine town. I like the other towns I mentioned more.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
My follow-up, and goal, was/is to compare the two or three or four towns that align with the OP requirements based on my time in the towns.
Everyone has their own set of criteria for what they are looking for in a new community, Hull happens to be a great fit for us - sounds like perhaps not for you (though I am not sure what you are basing that on.)

In any event I am sure your input about those other towns would be most welcome - but you can do so without disparaging my town, about which you clearly know little, and have no first hand experience.

the OP may find this recent thread an interesting look into what many many posters think about many of the towns that have been mentioned around Boston...

Hingham's not working for me anymore...

Started with the poster articulating why, after 20 years, they no longer liked living in Hingham .... 34 pages later (if you make it that far) you will find they ended up moving to ... Hull. (and by the way, we know a number of other families that have recently moved from Hingham to Hull because they find it a better place to live and raise their kids.)

Old 09-20-2017, 01:08 PM

I don't mean to disparage your town or your experience. Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm simply trying to give a well-rounded take while considering all options for the OP.

Having moved back to the state recently, I can vouch that almost any town in Eastern Massachusetts is a great place to raise a family. It's a competitive area with a vast amount of formidable options. I lived in Chelmsford for a number of years, and while those from the metrowest/valley tend to belittle the town, it turned out to be one of my absolute favorite places to live. So I do understand that there are many angles, opinions, and takes that can drive someone to love an area while others may not prefer it.. part of it is unfamiliarity.

That said, as a transplant from out of state, the OP has fairly standard desires and needs. They aren't overly specific to any one place, but some towns IMO will be more heavily tailored to a family.. Maybe it's higher education rankings, a high school built on extra-curriculars, lots of town events, great college placement, resale value, sociodemographics. So, with those in mind, I stand by my recommendations.

Cheers- No intention to offend.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:42 PM

317 posts, read 251,162 times
I would definitely stick to the outer western suburbs along the Worcester line of the commuter rail. They made some changes to the schedule and there are some fast express trains that end up at south station (your husband would have to hop on the silver line for 5-10 min). You would be just under 2 hrs to New Haven at a no traffic time. If you can find something at your budget, Natick would be perfect. Framingham (stick to the north side), Ashland, even Southborough or Holliston. They seem far, but they are around 45 min to South Station, and the schools are top notch. I get that the person living in Hull loves Hull, and the beach is nice, but I don't think it's the best fit for the OP based on her criteria. I think you pay a premium to live in a beach town and for the money there are significantly better school systems. Not that they are bad, but sometimes rankings do play a role when you are from out of state and could help narrow it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts