U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 04:25 PM

6,040 posts, read 5,033,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I don't mean to disparage your town or your experience. Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm simply trying to give a well-rounded take while considering all options for the OP.

Having moved back to the state recently, I can vouch that almost any town in Eastern Massachusetts is a great place to raise a family. It's a competitive area with a vast amount of formidable options. I lived in Chelmsford for a number of years, and while those from the metrowest/valley tend to belittle the town, it turned out to be one of my absolute favorite places to live. So I do understand that there are many angles, opinions, and takes that can drive someone to love an area while others may not prefer it.. part of it is unfamiliarity.

That said, as a transplant from out of state, the OP has fairly standard desires and needs. They aren't overly specific to any one place, but some towns IMO will be more heavily tailored to a family.. Maybe it's higher education rankings, a high school built on extra-curriculars, lots of town events, great college placement, resale value, sociodemographics. So, with those in mind, I stand by my recommendations.

Cheers- No intention to offend.
I dunno, there seems to be some significant contradictory info in here and I'm trying to figure out if you're saying there ARE or ARE NOT notable differences among all the towns in Eastern mass.

I spent the first 30 years of my life in eastern Mass, and while I agree that Massachusetts cities and towns share some basic core similarities, I'd be very hardpressed to argue they're all great places to raise a family, or that the differences are minor. I'd never argue for example that Lawrence is a "formidable option" to Andover or that Randolph is one to Sharon.

Heck we used to argue all the time about the relative merits of Chelmsford vs. Tewksbury vs. Wilmington vs. Billerica (always lost). Well, Lowell always lost, TBH. But Lowell was way better than Lawrence, natch.

Your third paragraph seems to acknowledge that there are these notable differences, though. That makes sense.

Regarding Hull specifically, local knowledge like one poster shared will always be instructive since there are geographic features that make it appreciably different from its neighbors. I lived in the 'other Hull,' Winthrop, for years and you had to live there to appreciate (or hate) what the town had to offer. Websites would not paint a complete picture.

As always, YMMV.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 05:39 PM

8,454 posts, read 12,835,861 times
I don't know what Hull is like anymore. It's not somewhere you just "drive through" due to it's location. You have to make a conscious decision to go there. Those of us who are natives remember it had a seedy reputation due Nantasket Beach and Paragon Park.

Maybe it has improved and anyway the OP mentioned she is open to private schools if need be. She can investigate and decide if it suits her family.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:37 PM

434 posts, read 413,242 times
Frazil and I have had disagreements about Hull before. It is not the first place I'd choose to live on the South Shore, especially with a $500,000 budget. It's pretty bleak there in the winter, depending on where in Hull you live it can be a haul to get anywhere, traffic in the summer is brutal, and there are stronger school systems elsewhere. That said, my mom just moved there and loves it, so everyone's MMV.

With a $500,000 budget you could buy in a number of towns on the South Shore. There are actually a couple on the market in Duxbury right now below $500,000. You could find something in Marshfield, Scituate, Braintree, Milton (maybe), Pembroke, Kingston....

Old 09-22-2017, 03:57 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,721,845 times
Hull seems similar to scituate IMO. Both are beach towns and pretty out of the way. Scituate has slightly better schools than hull.

Real estate has changed a lot in this state the past few years. You'll find that once 'seedy or 'bleak' towns have changes a lot. Many working professionals are priced out of towns they thought they'd end up in and are choosing alternatives and hull is becoming one of them. If you're priced out of hingham or norwell but love the area hull is definitely a consideration.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:15 PM

14,253 posts, read 10,615,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Hull seems similar to scituate IMO. Both are beach towns and pretty out of the way. Scituate has slightly better schools than hull.

Real estate has changed a lot in this state the past few years. You'll find that once 'seedy or 'bleak' towns have changes a lot. Many working professionals are priced out of towns they thought they'd end up in and are choosing alternatives and hull is becoming one of them. If you're priced out of hingham or norwell but love the area hull is definitely a consideration.
Hull is nothing like Scituate.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:38 PM

434 posts, read 413,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Hull is nothing like Scituate.
Agreed.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:50 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,721,845 times
Well it seems similar to me-an outsider looking in who has never lived in either place. How are they so vastly different?

Old 11-09-2017, 01:14 PM

26 posts, read 49,872 times
We moved from West Hartford Ct. (1hr.1/2) so I know about the commute to family....often
Anyhow we settled in Hopkinton but it will be hard to find a home under $500K ---it won't be new but it will be well cared for.....Framingham on the other hand offers the commuter rail and prices there are less, with older established neighborhoods. Having just become a city with it's first Mayor it offers diversity with ethnic resturants and population.
If you choose to go to Hopkinton their is commuter rail as well in Ashland to Boston. It takes awhile to adjust but all of these towns are family friendly. I will add that being off RTE.495 gives an easy commute....just about anywhere so if jobs should change Hopkinton is a great location. Schools ranked high. Holliston is another, next town over and offers
much, but gets high marks for education and family involvement. Wishing you the best in your move!

Old 11-12-2017, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 442 times
Easton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts