Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 01:35 PM

32 posts, read 24,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Is JP or Roslindale out of the question at your price point?
Yeah, JP is anyway. Roslindale might be OK, but honestly I didn't care for the vibe there - seemed a bit run down? Maybe I just didn't see the best part of it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Waltham and maybe up your game to Andover.
I used to work in Andover and hated the evening commute back to Boston. Traffic was awful. But otherwise, yeah, Andover seemed like a nice town.

Any thoughts on Reading and/or Winchester?

Old 10-16-2017, 01:50 PM

Wakefield?

Old 10-16-2017, 01:59 PM

23,558 posts, read 18,661,418 times
No no and no. The only place outside 128 I can think of for you might be Concord, which will be right up there with the other places you say are too expensive. For the walkability and culture you are looking for, that leaves you with Waltham, Quincy, Medford, Salem, Beverly, and maybe Roslindale.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
No no and no. The only place outside 128 I can think of for you might be Concord, which will be right up there with the other places you say are too expensive. For the walkability and culture you are looking for, that leaves you with Waltham, Quincy, Medford, Salem, Beverly, and maybe Roslindale.
OK. It's tough. I have to decide what's most important, I guess. I would rather live further out than have a place that's not so nice just to be closer in.

It's fabulous though to get perspectives from those native here. I moved to MA about 10 years ago from the midwest so I don't have the history with all these suburban towns.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdmass View Post
OK. It's tough. I have to decide what's most important, I guess. I would rather live further out than have a place that's not so nice just to be closer in.

It's fabulous though to get perspectives from those native here. I moved to MA about 10 years ago from the midwest so I don't have the history with all these suburban towns.
In that case then maybe a place like Braintree or Wakefield would be worth consideration. What you will get are nice communities with some walkability in areas, what you won't get are scenes for older singles or any real "culture".

Maybe look into Dedham also? There is/wss a good sized choral society there.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:53 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Outside 128 Wellesley has a walkable area around Wellesley Square with Wellesley College right there. Hard to beat. It's expensive of course. Look into Dedham too-- the old downtown section and adjacent neighborhood along Route 109 is really nice. Newton is well known for cultural amenities. Watertown is next to Newton and convenient to Cambridge and has a slight discount over Newton and Belmont in not having top-rated schools. What about West Medford? Some very nice streets there; you're near the Mystlc Lakes and have easy car access to Cambridge.

Roslindale should be cheaper by rights than any of those but it may not be any more. Pretty nice there along South Street south of Roslindale Square and Centre Street. Perfectly good along Washington St south of Rozzie Sq too. It's only the section between Forest Hills and Roslindale Sq. that's dingy.

I agree Salem could be great--it's nothing if not walkable.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Outside 128 Wellesley has a walkable area around Wellesley Square with Wellesley College right there. Hard to beat. It's expensive of course. Look into Dedham too-- the old downtown section and adjacent neighborhood along Route 109 is really nice. Newton is well known for cultural amenities. Watertown is next to Newton and convenient to Cambridge and has a slight discount over Newton and Belmont in not having top-rated schools. What about West Medford? Some very nice streets there; you're near the Mystlc Lakes and have easy car access to Cambridge.

Roslindale should be cheaper by rights than any of those but it may not be any more. Pretty nice there along South Street south of Roslindale Square and Centre Street. Perfectly good along Washington St south of Rozzie Sq too. It's only the section between Forest Hills and Roslindale Sq. that's dingy.

I agree Salem could be great--it's nothing if not walkable.
She is priced out of places like Wellesley and Newton.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:17 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
It looks like small studio condos in Brookline sell in the 400k to 500k range and that is what OP has to play with. Yup, no Wellesley, no Newton, no Concord.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:38 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,657 times
I think you should take a 2nd look at Salem. Yes it's a pain to drive in and out but the commuter rail is convient and it would hit all of your boxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts