Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 09:54 AM

32 posts, read 24,015 times

Advertisements

Such great advice on here I thought I would throw my question out there.

I'm a single woman, empty nester, currently in a Brookline condo but looking to cash out and buy a somewhat bigger place (1400+ sq ft) a bit further from the city. Here's what's important to me:

--not much more than 30 min drive in to Boston/Cambridge since I anticipate a cultural life here in the city
--my new town would have its own cultural life and activities to get involved in
--School quality NOT important, lol
--Could find a place close to the city center so I could walk in (yes, living in Brookline has spoiled me!)
--*relatively* affordable (seems like I'm priced out of Lexington, Belmont, Newton, Needham, Wellesley, Westwood)
--I'd prefer a townhouse or a single family with tiny lot to keep lawn maintenance at a minimum

I've looked at: Melrose (seems to be getting crowded and pricey), Canton (nice downtown but doesn't seem big on culture); Natick -- nice... Medfield - maybe too far out??

Any and all suggestions are welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 10:32 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,597,799 times
Natick is pretty kid focused. The kiosks at Morse Library and the Town Hall bulletin boards are good info sources to find out what's going on in town. See if there is anything that interests you. Medfield is horsey and agricultural. I hear that have a pretty active newcomers group. Sounds like that isn't your scene though. Melrose is kid focused like Natick and probably less intellectual than Natick. Maybe look at Arlington. There are two townhouse complexes near Arlington Heights in the 400s range. Certainly, there is easy access to Cambridge and intellectual stimulation to be found there. You'd probably like Concord. But there aren't many cottages and townhouse communities there.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:34 AM

23,182 posts, read 18,320,418 times
Quincy, Waltham, Salem, Beverly?

Old 10-16-2017, 10:35 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,885,613 times
Salem or Beverly would be good choices

Old 10-16-2017, 10:40 AM

Great insights, thanks, and you're right, I like "intellectually focused". I think I would like Arlington but had been scared away by costs -- I'll check out the Arlington Heights area.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:40 AM

113 posts, read 103,365 times
Why not just stay in Brookline? It already meets all of your requirements except probably square footage.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:42 AM

Thanks. Beverly is one I hadn't looked at but will check it out. Quincy, maybe. Salem--I love the downtown but it seems like such a hassle to get to Boston/Cambridge.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:45 AM

Would love to, but need to increase living space and cut expenses at the same time.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:47 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,597,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdmass View Post
Thanks. Beverly is one I hadn't looked at but will check it out. Quincy, maybe. Salem--I love the downtown but it seems like such a hassle to get to Boston/Cambridge.
I don't think Quincy will meet your requirements for intellectual stimulation. Great red line and waterfront access though. Hull might have a better single and arts scene.

Salem and Beverly are a bit cut off from Boston proper and have their own North Shore scene.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:55 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,777,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdmass View Post
Would love to, but need to increase living space and cut expenses at the same time.

I'm curious, since you're an empty nester, and single, why would you need to increase space? 1400 sq ft is a lot of space for one person... do you have a business you're running from home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts