Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 09:20 AM

349 posts, read 320,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I don't think any of these objections actually contradict any of the doubts I have expressed. I haven't said that Amazon is useless. Read the article again.

Note: Not accusing anyone of being "wrong" simply that the points being made are not the ones of concern (to me and others).
The article you linked is a clickbait oriented piece that's bearish on Amazon, relatively favorable on Walmart with a sophomoric connection to broader US monetary policy. What else would one expect from the DailyReckoning.com, a site filled with social media baity headlines and images?

The summary is consistent with your prior quote:
Quote:
I can't really imagine Amazon wants it here either, not really. I am not a huge believer in Amazon to begin with, so I'm hoping they become someone else's headache, as I think is likely.
I could do somersaults to infer your intent, but your statements and referenced article are consistent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 09:38 AM

2,365 posts, read 1,850,107 times
My buddy got a job with Amazon robotics started 6 figures out of undergrad with a 20k signing bonus.. I think their employees will be just fine with the COL

Old 10-26-2017, 09:46 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowstatus View Post
The article you linked is a clickbait oriented piece that's bearish on Amazon, relatively favorable on Walmart with a sophomoric connection to broader US monetary policy. What else would one expect from the DailyReckoning.com, a site filled with social media baity headlines and images?

The summary is consistent with your prior quote:

I could do somersaults to infer your intent, but your statements and referenced article are consistent.
With all respect, I think you are simply missing the argument, which to be fair, is a bit subtle. Though I will say, anyone saying that monetary policy's connection to the stock market is "sophomoric" has an awful lot of ground to make up.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:43 PM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
This article basically explains the theory: https://dailyreckoning.com/amazon-cr...ubble-finance/

In essence, Amazon doesn't operate at profit, so it's not clear where the astronomical valuation is actually coming from. The main aspect of their business, shipping, is not a particularly fast growing sector either. I believe that Amazon is basically a stock bubble.

I am not an expert, but I am more convinced by this argument than others. That's not to say I think Amazon will collapse next year. Or in 10 years. But I do think that eventually all this nonsense of cities bending over backwards to please a business that posts virtually no profit is silly. And might come back to hurt them later.
It's due to their rapid expansion. They do have a huge coustomer base. Like for example if they did go through on HQ 2 in Boston it would cost what, 4-5B to build? They wouldn't be making a profit for those 2 years but the buisness would be healthy.

Amazon has always made an operating profit (e.g. Not including 1 time expenses) and the last few years has made net profits.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:15 PM

880 posts, read 818,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
My buddy got a job with Amazon robotics started 6 figures out of undergrad with a 20k signing bonus.. I think their employees will be just fine with the COL
This is something that's hard for ppl to understand, usa has outsourced manufacturing and other industries so much, it's created a wide gap between minimum wage worker and high paid (tech, finance)

If Boston does not embrace the high paying jobs, there will be little growth and over decades will become Detroit like with only universities and hospitals sustaining the entire state

Old 10-26-2017, 03:49 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
With all respect, I think you are simply missing the argument, which to be fair, is a bit subtle. Though I will say, anyone saying that monetary policy's connection to the stock market is "sophomoric" has an awful lot of ground to make up.
As my PhD advisor said “read the graphs first”. His is intellectual dishonest, suggesting the rat of the article is worthless. It’s not clear he has much support beyond his dishonest graph that Amazon would be better served hording cash like AAPL or MSFT (or *gasp* pay a dividend). I think the market understands why Amazon isn’t profitable and doesn’t really care (yet).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...right-now.html

They want to become the retailer. Probably some antitrust issues, but maybe forming an HQ2 anticipates those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts