Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 05:16 PM

66 posts, read 81,875 times

Advertisements

Would you ever consider buying a home next to Power Lines? When I say Power Lines I mean those massive power lines that basically power a whole town, not the street power lines.

(By the way I have 2 little kids)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 05:37 PM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
You mean High Tension Wires?

No.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:47 PM

Yes didn’t realize that is what they are called. Heard if you are far enough the actual EMF drops off significantly but the visual of them are a bit ominous..especial for resale

Old 10-27-2017, 05:58 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
I'm not afraid of 60Hz photons, but enough people are that it is bad for resale value.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:12 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
I work for the power company. There's people I work with who have been in close proximity to 345kV power lines (a few feet away in substations, not way up high) for 30 years with zero health issues. I do the same thing daily, and have read numerous peer reviewed studies that show no evidence of any adverse health concerns.

Things to be aware of...

People riding quads and dirtbikes at 3AM, people hunting, power company surveyors and maintenance workers arriving at all hours, possible use as a future gas transmission corridor or additional lines going up, regular clear cutting up to the established easement.

If you are far enough away or can deal with all that, or got a deal on the land I would go for it. Don't pay regular prices because it might take the right buyer if you go to sell in the future. Really all depends on how close and how unsightly they are.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:14 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I'm not afraid of 60Hz photons, but enough people are that it is bad for resale value.
What he said.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:45 AM

513 posts, read 647,010 times
I looked at a house a few years ago that was near power lines. You could not see the power lines from the house, as there was a wooded lot between the house and the lines. The house was priced at about a 100K discount compared to similar sized houses on the same street further away from the power lines and still took two years to sell. If resale is important, I would not consider it.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 2,044 times
I recall an article from years back where farmers noted a higher incidence of pregnant cows aborting when they spent time grazing under power lines. There's much pro-con on the subject - some think nothing of it, others would steer clear of a house nearby. I'm in the latter group, and not a gambler when it comes to my family's health.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:07 AM

Yeah I don’t plan on being in this house for more than 5 years so be challenging if resale would be tough

Old 10-28-2017, 11:19 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
I work for the power company. There's people I work with who have been in close proximity to 345kV power lines (a few feet away in substations, not way up high) for 30 years with zero health issues. I do the same thing daily, and have read numerous peer reviewed studies that show no evidence of any adverse health concerns.

Things to be aware of...

People riding quads and dirtbikes at 3AM, people hunting, power company surveyors and maintenance workers arriving at all hours, possible use as a future gas transmission corridor or additional lines going up, regular clear cutting up to the established easement.

If you are far enough away or can deal with all that, or got a deal on the land I would go for it. Don't pay regular prices because it might take the right buyer if you go to sell in the future. Really all depends on how close and how unsightly they are.
The same people who complain about these wires are the people who complain the loudest when the power goes out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: