U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 08:07 AM

636 posts, read 507,407 times

Advertisements

The Mar--itt hotel room i stayed in had a New sign in the rooms. There will be a $350 Charge if the room smells like smoke. I think that may not be new but being conspicuously posted in the room is new. Wonder if they are having some new type of issues?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 08:47 AM

7,278 posts, read 3,457,538 times
Huh? I've seen those types of signed for years, everywhere.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:55 AM

16,066 posts, read 10,605,675 times
Not necessarily a marriot but my wife and I have stayed in many hotels and we have seen these signs before.
We have also signed acknowledgements at check in that our credit card will be charged if the room smells like smoke when we leave.

A few times we have gone back to the desk to complain and to get another room that our non smoking room already smelled like smoke. In another case our non smoking room had a small window that opened to a ledge and it looked like a smoker had stood at the window and threw the dozens of butts onto the ledge. We let the desk know about that too so we wouldn't be charged.

Smoking is gross and when a hotel tries to cover up the stink with cheap cleaners it is even worse.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:18 AM

12,277 posts, read 13,635,795 times
Nothing new.

While i'll stop short at saying smoking should be banned, I'm surprised people still do it.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:26 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,990,077 times
Agree, this is nothing new, but I'm used to seeing a $250 charge normally which you typically initial for, at check-in.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:43 PM

636 posts, read 507,407 times
RE

The notices for Charges for smoking in a room have been around for a long time, decades? I agree.
However the charges were never bluntly posted in the room like they were the last two times in the rooms. That was the point.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:02 PM

6,153 posts, read 3,480,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
RE

The notices for Charges for smoking in a room have been around for a long time, decades? I agree.
However the charges were never bluntly posted in the room like they were the last two times in the rooms. That was the point.
The probably got burnt one too many times with guests saying they never saw the notice when they booked online or checked in.

Do the signs bother you?

Old 11-08-2017, 06:00 PM

8,418 posts, read 12,744,661 times
It could be just the individual Marriott. I've seen them upon check-in, but not in the rooms, no.

Was this a Courtyard by Marriott hotel by any chance?

Old 11-09-2017, 02:00 AM

2,427 posts, read 4,098,023 times
I'm surprised some smokers don't simply go into the hallway or stairwell to smoke. That's horrible and selfish, but maybe at 3 am, they'll think nobody will notice...and easier than taking the elevator to the street to smoke in the bitter cold.

Some smokers would do this, some are mannered and would not, I suppose.

And the signs would have to be in multiple languages in order to target all international guests, but the nonsmoking icon should be universally known by now.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:26 AM

9,756 posts, read 17,721,635 times
I see similar signs in almost every hotel I go to. usually between $200-500 for the fine. Sometimes it's on the bedside table or a placard on the desk. Others it's on the back of the door (near the escape route map), but it's almost always there if you look. I used to work for Starwood (Sheraton, Westin, W, Aloft, Four Points, Le Meridian, Element, St. Regis, Luxury Collection, etc.) and all hotels were non-smoking and all of them had the notice of the fine somewhere in the room. In the luxury properties it tends to be more subtle (fine print on the door), but those are also the properties where it's less of an issue. Marriott and Starwood are now one company, so I'm sure it's in every hotel somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: