Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 10:11 AM

12,871 posts, read 22,035,348 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on this? My brother rented an apartment for about a year and a half. One year lease, 6 months on a month to month. He vacated at the end of September. The landlord sold the condo in Mid-October, and emailed my brother requesting $600 for repairs made by the new owner that they billed him (the former landlord) for.

A couple of notes:
  1. There was no security deposit on the unit
  2. My brother moved in literally as the old tenant was moving out - the place wasn't cleaned or "move in ready" before hand
  3. There were some issues (apparently some water damage on the ceiling, bad carpet in the basement, marks on the wall, and general cleaning, etc.) that existed and were noted with the landlord beforehand.

I'm not sure what advice to give him apart from asking for a breakdown of the charges before sending any money. He also needs to check and see what his lease says. My guess is that if there wasn't a security deposit, there's something in there about his being responsible for repairs/cleaning beyond what would be considered "normal." But again, a breakdown of costs should be presented before requesting $600. Thoughts?

*Edit*
I misread his text- the $600 is part of a $1500 replacement for the carpet in the basement and paint on the walls. Looks like the landlord is going to cover most of it but wants $600. As has been stated, the carpet was in bad shape (agreed upon by the landlord) at the time my brother moved in. No idea what the walls looked like, but I thought that was the landlord's responsibility barring anything major (like holes, gouges, or major modification of the paint)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 10:15 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Yes, the most important thing is the language in the lease regarding repairs. Until we know that, there isn't much we can say. To speculate, however, if there is language that allows the landlord to bill the tenant for certain repairs, he should provide a detailed description, and itemized list with dollar amounts for each issue, and pictures of the items that need to be repaired.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:08 AM

875 posts, read 664,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
*Edit*
I misread his text- the $600 is part of a $1500 replacement for the carpet in the basement and paint on the walls. Looks like the landlord is going to cover most of it but wants $600. As has been stated, the carpet was in bad shape (agreed upon by the landlord) at the time my brother moved in. No idea what the walls looked like, but I thought that was the landlord's responsibility barring anything major (like holes, gouges, or major modification of the paint)?
Landlord is trying to gouge him - pay nothing, and I say this as a landlord

- Walls - unless it is above normal wear and tear (or there is very specific language in a lease) that repair is on the landlord.

- Carpet - already acknowledged that is was in bad shape at move in. Was the condition in writing anywhere? ...emails, apartment condition statement?

Old 11-27-2017, 11:23 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Landlord is trying to gouge him - pay nothing, and I say this as a landlord
I completely agree. How can you be sure any damage was your brother. Say nothing and don't respond. He has to try but he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:36 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,433,645 times
Here is fair housing in Massachusetts https://www.masslegalhelp.org/housin...ty-deposit.pdf. It refers to security deposit but I would think it would apply to trying to charge your brother now. In particular

What Can a Security
Deposit Be Used For
After you move out, a landlord may only use
your security deposit for unpaid rent or to
repair damages you or your guests caused.
The damage must be more than “reasonable
wear and tear.” Landlords are not allowed to
use the security deposit for routine painting,
cleaning or small repairs.

I would have him call Massachusetts Fair Housing and find out if the landlord can charge him for what he is asking for. Before doing so, have him get a detailed list of what he is being charged for so he can give that info to Massachusetts Fair Housing.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:08 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,307 times
This is somewhat irregular, but as has been pointed out, the lease should clear things up.

Lease aside, your brother knows if the charges are justified or not. Did he trash the carpet and paint, or is it normal wear and tear and the landlord is trying to screw him?

Old 11-27-2017, 01:37 PM

12,871 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Thanks, everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
This is somewhat irregular, but as has been pointed out, the lease should clear things up.

Lease aside, your brother knows if the charges are justified or not. Did he trash the carpet and paint, or is it normal wear and tear and the landlord is trying to screw him?
My brother can be lazy, but he's definitely not the type of person to trash a place (but I haven't seen it since he moved in). But the landlord has also been pretty easy going/flexibile with him (from what I hear). The thing that might screw him over (depending on the language of the lease) is that he moved in as the old tenant was moving out (same day, they were moving in/out at the same time), and a lot of the normal maintenance that gets done between tenants wasn't done. That's fine if you agree to it, but you need to make sure you walk through with the landlord so they know what's yours and what isn't. I don't think he did that. I don't know if he documented any of it. So while I think a lot of it is "normal wear and tear" it's accumulated over about 3+ years (previous tenant was there 2 years) and likely looks worse than what it would have looked like had it been fixed before he moved in. It seems like he's getting hit with the bill for multiple years of neglected routine maintenance.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:43 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,699,186 times
Landlord is an idiot for not having a security deposit. If I were your brother I would just say no. If the landlord decides to sue you call a housing lawyer.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:05 PM

880 posts, read 820,223 times
If the landlord made no mention of it until 2 months later (usually a move-out involves a walk through). There is no way to prove that the damage was not caused after he moved out.

If our brother is being honest: don't do anything, document as much as possible now on paper. Wait for him to take you to small claims and present his side of the argument WITHOUT emotion.

BTW, if he's selling the place, he wont want to tie up the property in any legalities

Old 11-28-2017, 02:59 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,839,013 times
Under Massachusetts law, the landlord has 6 years to sue for damages. The landlord will need to show damages and your brother needs to prove that the damages either existed prior to or after his tenancy. Hopefully your brother took plenty of photos before he vacated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts