Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 05:36 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Are you looking for food around Kittery? If so, maybe you should ask this on the Maine forum.
And the NH forum too. Out of all the NE state forums, those folks seem the most knowledgeable and helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 10:24 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
And the NH forum too. Out of all the NE state forums, those folks seem the most knowledgeable and helpful.
If you post on the NH forum, look for (or request) some info from CrazyDave. He is our resident NH Mex/BBQ seeker and reviewer (with pictures)

Old 11-29-2017, 04:58 AM

33 posts, read 30,364 times
I moved to TX for 2 years, so NO you will not find Tex-Mex up here or any other Traditional Mexican food. Not like down there. Culture is more Hispanic/ Puerto Rican / Portuguese up here.

Kinda like you can't get Good Pizza or Chinese food in TX

Sorry, I think you will have to make it yourself. You can find ingredients easy enough though.

There is a good BBQ place in Arlington MA ( Blue Ribbon- really good) and Somerville (Red Bones- not perfect but Good).
but then again it depends on what kind of BBQ you like

Old 11-29-2017, 05:30 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin19687 View Post
I moved to TX for 2 years, so NO you will not find Tex-Mex up here or any other Traditional Mexican food. Not like down there. Culture is more Hispanic/ Puerto Rican / Portuguese up here.

Kinda like you can't get Good Pizza or Chinese food in TX

Sorry, I think you will have to make it yourself. You can find ingredients easy enough though.

There is a good BBQ place in Arlington MA ( Blue Ribbon- really good) and Somerville (Red Bones- not perfect but Good).
but then again it depends on what kind of BBQ you like
Correct. Tex-Mex is a regional variation of traditional Mexican food that one won't find in Mexico - taco shells, cumin, ground beef, and yellow cheese is NOT found in Mexican food. Here in New England, you will find Brazilian, Salvadoran, Dominican, Ecuadorian influences. The ingredients are similar but combined in a different way. The OP may have to adjust his/her palate and embrace the flavors available here.

In the meantime, look in East Somerville, MA. You might find something there or watch until next year's East Somerville Foodie Crawl.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:49 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
There are about 10 places in Providence RI you could try. They range from authentic Mexican to Tex Mex. When I want a burrito I just go to a cheap place on Thayer St.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:49 AM

4,693 posts, read 3,472,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Not the right area but Juanita's in Brookline NH is pretty good. It is small but everything is cooked right there in front of you. Juanita always makes you feel like you are a guest at her house.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:17 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexasEngineer View Post
I havent attempted bbq up here, i make my own ;-) its starting to look like im going to have to make my own tex mex too lol.

I will say the seafood up here is great. though, i am partial to Cajun seafood hahaha.
Food here, seafood aside, in general is not great. You are better off making your own, honestly. But you're right, if you like seafood, New England is the spot.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:43 AM

578 posts, read 572,378 times
I know this is NOT in the area you are looking, but in Worcester there are a couple of good mexican joints - Sol Mexico on Pleasant St in Worcester, and Tacos Mexico, which has joint in Greendale, Auburn, and Whitney Field in Leominster. All are more fast food/hole in teh wall type places, but have some really great food.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:46 AM

221 posts, read 243,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Have you tried Cafe Azteca or La Tambora? Both in Lawrence.

Also...

BuenoMalo, Andover

Vida Cantina, Portsmouth
ill have to check those out. Not a Dominican food fan, but ill look at the others thanks! I have tried Vida Cantina in Portsmouth and thought it was pretty bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiapo View Post
I think you are on to something.

I live in Texas and the wife and I are thinking of moving back to Mass. I keep telling my wife if we open up a burrito stand in Mass like they have down here we will be rich. The TexMex is amazing and it will be a hard adjustment not to have that in our diet if we move back north.
A Kolache stand would be even easier, these yankees up here wouldnt know what hit them if they had a taste of some Texas Kolaches!

Old 11-29-2017, 07:46 AM

822 posts, read 857,822 times
the chances of finding authentic Tex Mex in New England are about the same as finding authentic New England clam chowder in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts