Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 08:01 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexasEngineer View Post
ill have to check those out. Not a Dominican food fan, but ill look at the others thanks! I have tried Vida Cantina in Portsmouth and thought it was pretty bad.

A Kolache stand would be even easier, these yankees up here wouldnt know what hit them if they had a taste of some Texas Kolaches!

Are Texas Kolaches the same as the Midwest Kolache, a jam sour creme filled cookie? Those are decadent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 06:21 AM

576 posts, read 568,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The Sol Mexico is good, but it's more of a hole-in-the-wall Mexican/taco joint place. It's not Tex-Mex. If you are looking for the prior (up the OP's way), there is an awesome taco food truck on the way out to Plum Island (leaving Newburyport).
Sorry, thought we were looking for Mexican, not Tex-Mex.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:25 AM

221 posts, read 243,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Are Texas Kolaches the same as the Midwest Kolache, a jam sour creme filled cookie? Those are decadent.
nope not the same thing in texas...

all different shops have their own breading recipe that range from sweet Hawaiian style bread to a flaky croissant type bread. Usually stuffed with spicy sausage, breakfast sausage, cheese and jalapenos... In Houston You can find everything from ham, cheese, eggs, bacon, bbq, pulled pork, brisket, boudin, swiss cheese, etc. stuffings

Old 11-30-2017, 08:55 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
There are also the Czech kolaches which usually use a sweet filling (fruit jam) and the filling is in a kind of depression in the center of the "bread". q.v. Village Bakery in West, Texas. (Not "West Texas" but "West, Texas".)

Old 12-01-2017, 02:41 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Having eaten a fair amount of Mexican during my travels in Texas and SoCal, anyone claiming there's no good Mex/Tex-Mex food in the area is merely clinging to nostalgia or doesn't know where to look. I've had excellent food in Worcester, Nashua, Fitchburg, East Boston, etc. - the places are out there, but Bostonians will not be able to point them out due to the border wall at route 95.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:48 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexasEngineer View Post
I havent attempted bbq up here, i make my own ;-) its starting to look like im going to have to make my own tex mex too lol.

I will say the seafood up here is great. though, i am partial to Cajun seafood hahaha.
Mexican food is some of the easiest food to make. I prefer mine over the fast food places like robertos here. You can make maze but can also have it shipped. Tortilla press and carne is super easy. Hot sauce, blacken:
2 habeneros
6 jalapenos
1 jar stewed tomatoes
1 med onion
1 handful of cilantro - sub dried cilantro if not available fress
blender until it looks how you want.

Done

Old 12-01-2017, 03:02 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Check out Cafe Azteca in Lawrence!

Old 12-01-2017, 03:34 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Having eaten a fair amount of Mexican during my travels in Texas and SoCal, anyone claiming there's no good Mex/Tex-Mex food in the area is merely clinging to nostalgia or doesn't know where to look. I've had excellent food in Worcester, Nashua, Fitchburg, East Boston, etc. - the places are out there, but Bostonians will not be able to point them out due to the border wall at route 95.
And? Names and locations?

I’ve had good Mexican here, but in SoCal you don’t have to look that hard. The options that aren’t an adventure (ie within about 5 miles) are all mediocre. It’s also not a stretch to believe that the best Mexican food in a place with thousands of options will be better than the best Mexican in a region with dozens.

Old 12-01-2017, 04:37 PM

23,554 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Most of the good Mexican places I've come upon in the area are hole-in-the-wall taqueria type joints that you really have to look deep for or know where to go. The larger, trendier Tex Mex or Southwestern restaurants where average people "go out for drinks" and dinner or date nights almost all have mediocre food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Case in point...in Worcester everybody raved about the Mezcal and I thought it was one of the worst Mexicans ever. They are all about the guacamole and margaritas, and nothing else. Sol Mexico has 10X better enchiladas. Plaza Azteca is "OK".

Angela's in East Boston is probably the best I've had in NE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
And? Names and locations?

I’ve had good Mexican here, but in SoCal you don’t have to look that hard. The options that aren’t an adventure (ie within about 5 miles) are all mediocre. It’s also not a stretch to believe that the best Mexican food in a place with thousands of options will be better than the best Mexican in a region with dozens.
What I had in San Diego was no better than what you would typical find in MA. Maybe I just really went to the wrong place.

Last edited by massnative71; 12-01-2017 at 04:47 PM..

Old 12-01-2017, 06:09 PM

7 posts, read 4,680 times
Texas Roadhouse, Methuen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts