Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 5,864 times

Advertisements

Hello,
now there is a renovation process in the building where I rent an apartment. They made big holes in the walls in the corridor. For more than two weeks I have been found a lot of dust in my apartment (due to the significant airflow from the corridor due to the crevices around the doorframe and windowframe in my apartment). Sometimes they started repair work before I went to a job so just during short time of they work I was seen the emerging of the dust in my apartment and inhaling it a lot. The building was built more than 100 years ago so I supposed asbestos exposure. I asked by email property managers about the disclosure of the information related to asbestos content and they answered few days after that here is no asbestos but they didn't show me any documents and after that I noticed that they at least covered holes in the walls with polyethylene. Being concerned because the building is old I took the sample of the cement (before they covered it) from one of the big holes in the walls in the corridor and looked under the microscope (I work in the lab). It is old cement containing horsehairs as well as a lot of fibers which look absolutely like asbestos (but I have not ordered an official asbestos test, it was light microscopy). Is there sense to order asbestos test and if it is positive try to terminate the lease without fee? Could I told to the property manager that I looked under the microscope on the sample of the cement (I mean could there be any possible problems because I took sample from the property without permission (even though it was absolutely easy to take without any damage)? What else can I do? The problem is that every day I get new dust in my apartment and it seems that it contains asbestos. I would be very grateful for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 02:12 PM

880 posts, read 818,567 times
If they are doing everything by code with proper permits, I would doubt very much it is asbestos. The contractors themselves would not tolerate it without significant respitory masks.

You could always pay out of pocket for asbestos tests if you are worried or double check their permits

Old 12-11-2017, 03:48 AM

82 posts, read 77,922 times
I do not think the contractors would be working on it without hazmat gear and masks if it were asbestos.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:35 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
There should be a permit posted somewhere. Contact the permitting authority and ask them. Tell them you just want confirmation there isn’t an asbestos hazard.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:36 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmccoy View Post
I do not think the contractors would be working on it without hazmat gear and masks if it were asbestos.
This is not a safe a assumption. I say this knowing someone (in the recent past) who was prosecuted and jailed for improper abatement during a commercial reno. Additionally, the states AG recently settled with two firms for illegal asbestos removal in the razing of the Quincy YMCA.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:17 PM

4 posts, read 5,864 times
Default asbestos exposure

Hello,
Thanks everybody for the responds.
Today I got the result of testing for the asbestos: 2% Chrysotile asbestos. The question is the same: do I have a right to terminate the lease without any fees and move out as quick as I can? Is there sense directly told to the property manager that there is asbestos contamination and I need to move out (it seems that they are irresponsible)? Or I have to talk to the lawyer? Which else actions can I take? They are proceeding with renovation and I still have excessive amount of asbestos containing dust.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:26 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria55 View Post
Hello,
Today I got the result of testing for the asbestos: 2% Chrysotile asbestos. The question is the same: do I have a right to terminate the lease without any fees and move out as quick as I can? Is there sense directly told to the property manager that there is asbestos contamination and I need to move out (it seems that they are irresponsible)? Or I have to talk to the lawyer? Which else actions can I take? They are proceeding with renovation and I still have excessive amount of asbestos containing dust.
i have to imagine there's someplace better you can go to for advice than C-D (at least for this matter). Do you live in Boston or outside of the city?

Here's a resource if you live in Boston:

https://www.boston.gov/departments/n...ou-rent-boston

If you live outside of Boston call the town hall and maybe start with the board of health to see who might have an answer for you.

My hunch is . . . you probably can't just break your lease. However if hazardous conditions exist in your home, your landlord is likely obligated to provide you with alternative housing until such conditions have been remedied. I'm not an expert in these matters though and I suggest you seek out someone in your local government who is. If you can't find someone, then i would suggest contacting a real estate attorney or tenants rights attorney.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:44 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria55 View Post
Hello,
I'd move in with friends or into a hotel, etc TODAY and write a registered letter immediately to the landlord stating the facts and that your tests have shown asbestos.

On the same day, I'd contact an attorney and ask how to proceed. Do you have renter's insurance- it may have immediate coverage for hazardous living conditions. After that, I'm sure you could get dwelling coverage from the landlord. Once the apartment is certified safe, you could move back in if you desire to do so.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:05 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
it certainly is not asbestos. It might be horsehair plaster or just drywall dust. It is not toxic at all. Don't be breathing it but it will not cause any problems medically except if you are inhaling large quantities of the dust.

Contractors that deal with asbestos will seal off an area around the work. They also eliminate lots of dust by using water. Also asbestos in homes were used around pipes. Usually it is just heating pipes and it was rarely used in homes. It cost a lot to wrap those pipes.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:30 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
it certainly is not asbestos. It might be horsehair plaster or just drywall dust. It is not toxic at all. Don't be breathing it but it will not cause any problems medically except if you are inhaling large quantities of the dust.

Contractors that deal with asbestos will seal off an area around the work. They also eliminate lots of dust by using water. Also asbestos in homes were used around pipes. Usually it is just heating pipes and it was rarely used in homes. It cost a lot to wrap those pipes.
If you read post #6 from OP it says he got the test back and 2% asbestos. I don't know if there is a "safe" kind of asbestos or if 2% is an acceptable amount but if my apartment was covered if that dust I would be worried. Just because some guys are working on apartment building doesn't mean they are following acceptable practices. Any random guy can rip out a wall doesn't mean they are doing it right.

If I were OP I would call and speak with someone in the city pronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts