Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 06:14 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
They’re both highly rated if you research it. The Newtons and Westons of the world aren’t the only solid school systems in MA. As for what’s best across the board for the OP, you can’t go wrong with either. Who knows? Maybe one spouse is ok with a 90 minute commute.
The OP wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstf View Post
That's what I kind of guessed...there doesn't seem to be many appealing places between Framingham and it'd be better for just ONE of us to be a super commuter than have both of us fight traffic everyday. The job in MA is more flexible and can probably allow for a compressed work schedule (3-4 days/week).
With that information, I'd opt for the trivial West Hartford commute for one spouse and keep my eyes peeled for a metro Hartford job for the other spouse. With kids, you don't want to be an hour (in rush hour) from home. You want to be a few minutes in case anything happens.

For West Hartford, you want to be west of the Connecticut. I-84 crossing the river and through the city of Hartford at rush hour is ugly. At 6am, it's an easy drive.

Sturbridge and Charlton are kind-a the boonies. With kids, you need constant parental taxi driver since they can't walk/bicycle to things. How's that going to work when both parents get out of work at 5pm and both face an hour+ high traffic rush hour commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 08:22 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Sturbridge and Charlton are kind-a the boonies. With kids, you need constant parental taxi driver since they can't walk/bicycle to things. How's that going to work when both parents get out of work at 5pm and both face an hour+ high traffic rush hour commute?
Zemcar is an Uber like service that is geared toward kids. It isn't cheap but is an option.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:23 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,624 times
Sturbridge is the first choice, you can also look into Holland, Wales, Brimfield, Brookfield. they all go to the same school system as Sturbridge . it is Tantasqua middle school and High school. Tantasqua is a very good school system. I think you'd be very happy with any of those choices.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:58 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
This. You can be in Hartford in 30 minutes from Sturbridge, even less time to Framingham. Both towns have great school systems.
funniest thing I have read in a while. West Hartford, Not Hartford which means travel thru downtown Hartford. Just the merges of I-384, I-84 and I-91 takes 20-25 minutes. Getting onto I-84 from the Sturbridge area, nobody lives right next to interstate highway access, will take 10-15 minutes. Easily an hour commute. To Framingham it will be closer to 30-35 minutes for point to point.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:20 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,099,314 times
I commute to Hartford from West Springfield, it's a solid 30 minutes at 6:30 in the morning. No way Sturbridge to Hartford is 30 minutes. Double that maybe.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:51 PM

I would make Framingham from Sturbridge in 45 mins. Hartford was about 50 mins. not sure exactly door to door where work would be but as others have said West Hartford is farther and depending on how far you lived or worked off highway could add on to that. But Heck even when I lived near boston it would take me an hour on 128 to get to Framingham. traffic is awful everywhere around rush hour. From work in Downtown Boston to Sturbridge I use to be able to commute in 1 hour but my commute times where not in heavy traffic times. I did that drive 4 days a week and didn't mind the long commute for how much more you get for your money out there. I use to work in Framingham at TJX and I preferred the drive from Sturbridge vs Westwood.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:31 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
I would make Framingham from Sturbridge in 45 mins.
When was that and what time of day? I would expect close to an hour on most normal commute times.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
When was that and what time of day? I would expect close to an hour on most normal commute times.
all different times of day. just did a google maps from preserve way Sturbridge to TJX was 41 mins. I would give myself 1 hour each day to get there , find parking , walk into building. Of course there would be days with bad weather or accidents that could add. most of my neighbors worked at either TJX, BJ's , Bose. my wife went to Framingham state college. Not sure where in Framingham OP works but like I said someone could live 10 mins off the highway and work 10 mins off highway and adds to commute. personally I have never minded driving for a better quality of life outside of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts