Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 06:51 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiver916 View Post
If you truly were at a complete stop then you would not be at fault. If you were backing then you would be at fault, doesn't matter how close he stopped to you. If there is a significant amount of damage to his car and none to yours you may be better off to use insurance. There is a chance that he could be trying to get you to give him some money for pre-existing damage. If conflicting stories and then it could likely end up being settled 50/50 especially since you admit to contact being made one was or another.

Further, if you are to pay, use a check so you can prove payment was made, you can have a release signed if it would make you feel better. Also, if the car does not belong to the person who is demanding money from you, then don't pay him, as it is not his property, even if he is on the insurance or not. I doubt he is going to show you a copy of the policy to show that, and he would have to show he is acting on behalf of the owner in settling this loss for that to hold up anyway.

Honestly sounds like someone just trying to make a buck and got an inflated estimate. You can always tell them to meet you at another shop and be present while they come up with an estimate. Either way, if you decide to pay, I suggest you use a check, and write it out to whoever's name is on the registration, not the driver.
Yep.

Im thinking OP backed up without looking and because this is their second accident in a short time... we'll, here we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 07:14 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Yep.

Im thinking OP backed up without looking and because this is their second accident in a short time... we'll, here we are.
That's the way I read it, too.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:11 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Best to call the police. Some states/towns require one to call police. A police report comes in handy.
Yep, not happening again, you can be sure of it

forum rules, please read them

Old 01-21-2018, 06:54 PM

39 posts, read 46,500 times
I would just call your insurance and have them deal with it. Just pay the premium and suck it up if you're at fault. Massachusetts car insurance companies can lookup who the owns the car based on license plate. This person is sketch. Best of luck.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:22 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
Even if insurance rate goes up because of this add'l incident, is it going to be up by $1000 or a few hundred over the next few yrs?? It seems extortion to me when OP gets a bill (who knows if legit) and no other info disclosed by other party. I'll let the other party do what they do and let insurance deal with the claim.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:29 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Boston

Do call his bluff. Ask him to meet you at the police station to fill out an accident report. If he does not show, consider do not filling one out and walking away.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:11 AM

12 posts, read 7,436 times
I did not back into him - I have a back up camera, so that wouldn't make much sense.

Anyway, I decided to cease contact with him, as he continues to harass me for money. He has now filed a claim.

Ugh, this is why I considered paying him something to avoid all this BS.

He is a scammer and just looking for money.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:17 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonlady2 View Post
I did not back into him - I have a back up camera, so that wouldn't make much sense.

Anyway, I decided to cease contact with him, as he continues to harass me for money. He has now filed a claim.

Tell that to your insurance company.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:26 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonlady2 View Post

Stick by your story. Without additional evidence, it's a he said/she said scenario and most likely to result in 50/50 meaning nothing will come of it.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:01 PM

12 posts, read 7,436 times
Crazy people in this world.

So apparently he does not own the vehicle. He would not provide me with any information, the only thing I had was a first name that could be fake or not. I only had his phone number because he kept texting me asking for money.

So a woman owns the vehicle and is claiming that SHE was the driver. They filed the claim with the wrong date and address.

The gas station video clearly shows him driving the vehicle and alone. This women was no where in sight.

Isn't this against the law?? How can she claim she was driving?
My guess is that he does not have a valid license, which doesn't surprise me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts