Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 03:54 PM

12 posts, read 14,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
You are focusing on the wrong thing... 50k workers are to be built up over 10 to 20 years. Even if Amazon doesnt pick Boston, based on current tech growth rates, Boston will create 50000 high paying tech jobs over the next 20 years.

Are you going to protest every new tech, biotech opening in Boston? The influx of high paying engineers are happening no matter what due to the top schools we have.

The conversation or pressure should be on voting out elected officials who have allowed public transportation to deteriorate and NIMBY policies. Without job growth, cities will die a slow death and Boston can not afford to be left behind in the new tech economy.

Whether you are aware of it or not, people are passing Boston as a place to live RIGHT NOW. We don't need to throw gas on the flames to create problems. Its already here.

I am aware of many former colleagues that will not consider coming here, because they just can't entertain the idea of spending that much money on a house.

We can't get people in interview that can go through a half day of informal chat without burping. Or anyone that doesn't smell like either garbage or a duty free shop. I am harassed by head hunters so much that dealing with them is a part time job. And each and every one of my colleagues has to deal with this as well.

Where are the drones of people flocking here for the "big salary" and the "high tech jobs"? They exits. But they don't want to come here.

You are right about one thing though: public transportation. Boston's growth is choked by the lack of vision of the city and state officials. But we all know that civil engineering has never been Massachusetts strong suit... Anybody who has ever driven elsewhere (other states or countries) will agree with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 04:57 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,657 times
Quote:
So in summary: please don't create any more high paid jobs in Boston because you want to keep your property taxes or rent low. God forbid people in Boston should have the opportunity for higher wages....
Exactly. You can argue weather or not, or to what extent we should offer tax breaks to Amazon. But if Amazon wants to come here at a reasonable price I don't know how you can say no.

Hopefully Boston can push infrastructure improvements and not tax breaks into the incentive package.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:24 PM

349 posts, read 320,609 times
I moved to Boston for a great high paying, tech job. I then fell in love with the city. Fantastically educated workforce, great opportunities, compact and walkable city brimming with history. Boston is more expensive than where I grew up in the midwest, but for good reason.

I'm personally rooting for Amazon to come here to expand the tech market and general flow of knowledge. I look forward to Boston becoming more like San Francisco on that front.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:28 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowstatus View Post
I moved to Boston for a great high paying, tech job. I then fell in love with the city. Fantastically educated workforce, great opportunities, compact and walkable city brimming with history. Boston is more expensive than where I grew up in the midwest, but for good reason.

I'm personally rooting for Amazon to come here to expand the tech market and general flow of knowledge. I look forward to Boston becoming more like San Francisco on that front.
ugh gross

Old 01-22-2018, 09:23 AM

880 posts, read 818,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
ugh gross
You probably don't realize that Boston is quite the bargain for high paid tech folk. If they want to live in a liberal city with culture and good school district and future job opportunities, the choice is limited

St bay area. 2m for a house in good school district
Nyc,nj: 1.5m for condo with good commute and private schools and crazy high property tax and maintainance. 1m single family with 1hr commute and 20k property taxes and good schools
Boston inner suburb: 1 to 1.2m , 10k in property tax, excellent schools and 30-40 min commute to downtown

Of course thus only worked because engineering salaries are around base 150k to 180k average.

Until outsourcing has destroyed high skilled programming, Boston will attract new employees. Just being in the top 20 Amazon will have new companies eyeing boston

Old 01-22-2018, 09:27 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
I think Amazon will pick a lower total cost of living, and lower cost of doing business location. This includes taxes (although they will get tax breaks initially) wages, and other costs.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:29 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
You probably don't realize that Boston is quite the bargain for high paid tech folk. If they want to live in a liberal city with culture and good school district and future job opportunities, the choice is limited

St bay area. 2m for a house in good school district
Nyc,nj: 1.5m for condo with good commute and private schools and crazy high property tax and maintainance. 1m single family with 1hr commute and 20k property taxes and good schools
Boston inner suburb: 1 to 1.2m , 10k in property tax, excellent schools and 30-40 min commute to downtown

Of course thus only worked because engineering salaries are around base 150k to 180k average.

Until outsourcing has destroyed high skilled programming, Boston will attract new employees. Just being in the top 20 Amazon will have new companies eyeing boston
I just don't like the insufferable culture (or lack thereof) that such people bring.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:37 AM

1,199 posts, read 638,223 times
Quote:

Agreed. We have a lot more gentrifying to do if we want to be taken seriously in the tech sector. I don't understand why we're wasting prime real estate in Dorchester, Chelsea, and Revere on poor people. If we repurposed the check-cashing stores and bodegos as bubble tea shops, sushi joints, and nitro coffee bars, the techies would come in droves. We could set up colonies in Brockton and Lawrence for the undesirables, since those are too far for high-income hipsters to commute by train or bicycle.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:04 AM

880 posts, read 818,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I just don't like the insufferable culture (or lack thereof) that such people bring.
Well educated, low crime, high paid, mostly cultured outside of usa, pay taxes, value education... how dare we want such undesirables in Boston!

If we were talking about investment bankers, hedge funds so would agree with you

Old 01-22-2018, 10:08 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:

Then move to San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts