Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 02:40 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS-GR View Post
It is not clear-cut. Only "progressives" and the NYT are certain that MJ is NOT a gateway drug and apparently, they laugh at the term and the idea...

So, since we can "untether" drugs from the street dealers, why we do not legalize everything then?
It would certainly help avoid the ongoing opiod deaths and human trafficking, but of course, there would be other consequences.

As for legalization only being the motivation of 'progressives' and NYT, I think not not. Given the rising popularity of legalization, there are plenty institutions exploring issues of addiction as they relate to marijuana and results are suggesting that early use might be an indicator of addiction predisposition, but not the magic 'gateway'. Even the Cato Institute, a historically Conservative think-tank, has been pushing back on Jeff Sessions, advocating the U.S. congress remove marijuana a Sched I drug, and the DOJ return to letting legalized states operate without federal concern.

I'm not sure where you're acquire your 'facts', but they don't seem tethered to reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 05:11 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I'm glad it was legalized, and I welcome the stores. That said, I wouldn't want one in my neighborhood. I believe the stores will attract a criminal element. I'm not referring to the customers either. People will be walking out of these stores with $350 ounces, not $25 cases of beer. You don't think criminals are gonna be all over that? Criminals are aware that the overwhelming majority won't go to the police to report that their weed was stolen.
Why do you think that? And I bet many of these stores may have a police presence, or good security. Heck, if robbery is an issue, you better be against a jeweler opening up too!

Old 02-12-2018, 06:39 PM

188 posts, read 283,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
It would certainly help avoid the ongoing opiod deaths and human trafficking, but of course, there would be other consequences.

As for legalization only being the motivation of 'progressives' and NYT, I think not not. Given the rising popularity of legalization, there are plenty institutions exploring issues of addiction as they relate to marijuana and results are suggesting that early use might be an indicator of addiction predisposition, but not the magic 'gateway'. Even the Cato Institute, a historically Conservative think-tank, has been pushing back on Jeff Sessions, advocating the U.S. congress remove marijuana a Sched I drug, and the DOJ return to letting legalized states operate without federal concern.

I'm not sure where you're acquire your 'facts', but they don't seem tethered to reality.
Cato is a libertarian think tank. OK, then... Liberals, NYT and libertarians agree on the legalization of MJ. So what? Can you name another conservative group that agrees? In addition, even in MA, 54%-46% is not such a wide margin. Clearly, more than 54% vote for the democratic party in the elections. So, you guys should stop saying that almost everybody supports legalization... I suggest that you check your "facts"...

Old 02-13-2018, 06:46 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Cato is a libertarian think tank. OK, then... Liberals, NYT and libertarians agree on the legalization of MJ.
Fair enough, but prior to Trump muddying the waters, I'd argue the Republican/Koch centric Cato was very representative of the modern Republicanism. Certainly not representative of social conservatives/evangelicals.

Quote:
So what? Can you name another conservative group that agrees? In addition, even in MA, 54%-46% is not such a wide margin. Clearly, more than 54% vote for the democratic party in the elections. So, you guys should stop saying that almost everybody supports legalization... I suggest that you check your "facts"...
Alright, well Democrats, Libertarians, Independents, and as of an October 25 2017 poll, Republicans (51%) all believe marijuana should be legalized. This leaves social conservatives as the only sizeable group with a majority opposed. Obviously not "everybody" approves of legalization; however, such things are determined by a majority and not an absolute vote.

I've checked my facts quite thoroughly. Obviously it's still a divisive, but one which is becoming less divisive with incredible momentum (unlike gun-control and Roe v. Wade). Ongoing unbiased research is increasingly confirming what users have known for decades - the vast majority of adult users are not posing a risk to society nor are they on a path of personal destruction. In 2018, mobile phones, alcohol, opiates, and income disparity all pose a far greater threat to public health than marijuana ever has - legal or not. To continue to keep marijuana as a sched-I drug is not only short-sighted, it's also an insult to people of color who have been disproportionately penalized for possession.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 02-13-2018 at 06:57 AM..

Old 02-13-2018, 11:40 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,233,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I've checked my facts quite thoroughly. Obviously it's still a divisive, but one which is becoming less divisive with incredible momentum (unlike gun-control and Roe v. Wade). Ongoing unbiased research is increasingly confirming what users have known for decades - the vast majority of adult users are not posing a risk to society nor are they on a path of personal destruction. In 2018, mobile phones, alcohol, opiates, and income disparity all pose a far greater threat to public health than marijuana ever has - legal or not. To continue to keep marijuana as a sched-I drug is not only short-sighted, it's also an insult to people of color who have been disproportionately penalized for possession.
It looks similar to majority opinion to gay marriage. Unthinkable 20 years ago that every state would legalize gay marriage. While marijuana does not have a civil rights component, so it won't be solved in the courts, I do think that we'll see the majority of states legalize the drug in the next 10 years.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:14 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I bet many of these stores may have a police presence, or good security. Heck, if robbery is an issue, you better be against a jeweler opening up too!
My point seems to have been missed. I welcome the stores.

Unlike jewelry purchasers, marijuana purchasers won't go to the police if they get jacked after leaving the store. Also, the stolen marijuana can be consumed or easily sold on the streets for full value. With stolen jewelry, they'd get a very tiny fraction of its value while risking getting turned in by a pawn shop.

Poor analogy.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:25 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
My point seems to have been missed. I welcome the stores.

Unlike jewelry purchasers, marijuana purchasers won't go to the police if they get jacked after leaving the store. Also, the stolen marijuana can be consumed or easily sold on the streets for full value. With stolen jewelry, they'd get a very tiny fraction of its value while risking getting turned in by a pawn shop.

Poor analogy.

Why in the world do you think this? This makes no sense to me. If they're robbed and it's a legal product that was legally purchased, why wouldn't they?

Old 02-15-2018, 07:46 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I kinda agree.

Getting robbed is getting robbed. If it's a legal purchase, why be nervous about it.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:53 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,233,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I kinda agree.

Getting robbed is getting robbed. If it's a legal purchase, why be nervous about it.
Not any different then getting robbed outside of a packie

Old 02-15-2018, 12:07 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
I just don't think it will happen. Remember, it's still illegal on a federal level. And it's still considered taboo in many circles. I'm not sure how, but your employer and/or family members could possibly find out.

It's not worth the potential hassles. And what's to gain?

While fictional, Nancy's thriving black market business on the TV show Weeds was founded on the idea that people wouldn't want to show their ID at the medical marijuana shops.

Don't underestimate the desire for privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts