Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 03:34 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I just don't think it will happen. Remember, it's still illegal on a federal level. And it's still considered taboo in many circles. I'm not sure how, but your employer and/or family members could possibly find out.
It has happened in California, Washington, Colorado, Oregon, and a few other states without any major issues. The only reason it's taboo is because of the public relations campaign against the drug in the 60s to the 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 09:21 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I was talking with a town figure about this not too long ago because I was quite surprised that a dispensary would be allowed by the town to open here. He was telling me that it would be illegal to ban marijuana sales in the town, but they can make the zoning fairly restrictive so as to at least keep the shops out of sight or away from places like schools.
Just wanted to correct myself. It seems you can't ban medical dispensaries. However, the town of Needham is/was having a meeting (not sure which night it is/was) this week to discuss banning recreational sales of marijuana in the town and also it's use outside of a private residence. I think they might also be looking to ban growing it within town limits as well.

Sounds like there are some folks in the town government who don't want pot shops, pot farms, and pot cafes to open in the town.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:57 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Burlington voted against allowing retail sales of marijuana.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:51 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Burlington voted against allowing retail sales of marijuana.

As long as they are consistent and ban retail alcohol sales, that's fine. If not, then it's an idiotic double standard.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:28 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
And it's still considered taboo in many circles.

I think that's the main reason for all the resistance. There's still something taboo about it. However, doesn't mean it will be taboo in 10-15 years when a population of young people grow up with it being legal, and the older people age out.

Think about cigarettes for instance. 20 years ago you could light up on an airplane and it's no big deal. Now, if you light up a cigarette in a public place around, you'll get a dozen people glaring at you. You're almost shunned off to isolated areas

So who knows what the future holds. The trend across the country has been for legalization and you've young adults grow up in a country where weed has been legal in some form in many areas. Stamp your feet all you want....it's coming. Maybe not today, but all you need to do is chip away a little at a time to change something.

Of course, that also works the other way (i.e. gun laws)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts