Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 05:33 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times

Advertisements

Providence is a smaller version of Boston with comparable walkability, urban amenity and socioeconomic profile although, at the high end, maybe more old money than new money. All places are different from one another but a person can move to Providence without giving up much of what she likes about living in Boston-Cambridge-Somerville. But I don’t see Providence as workable with a job in Waltham. Lowell is much more accessible to Waltham. It’s no Providence but it has a lot going for it, including an arts and culture scene, and would have more to offer younger single professionals than Marlborough. I think the downtown area is pretty walkable and that’s where the nicer loft apartments are located. Some of the refurbished mill complexes and surrounding public spaces in Lowell are architecturally handsome and it has the amenity of its canals and frontage along the Merrimack river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 06:24 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,890 times
I work mostly out of Waltham too. I live there currently, but rents are too high. I currently rent a studio for $1275 per month. My lease is up at the end of April and I don’t plan on renewing. I’m currently thinking about renting a room in Lowell or Salem then getting a house in one of the two areas in a couple years. Lowell has some crime problems, but is gentrifying to a degree and though the university has been buying up property, rents are still pretty low even in the nicer areas.

I used to live in Braintree and the commute is the same or better to either Lowell or Salem. I’m not home that much anyway as I generally work over 80 hours per week, so paying half as much so I can save more for a house makes more sense.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:53 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,233,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Providence is a smaller version of Boston with comparable walkability, urban amenity and socioeconomic profile although, at the high end, maybe more old money than new money. All places are different from one another but a person can move to Providence without giving up much of what she likes about living in Boston-Cambridge-Somerville.
Oh Providence is nice, I agree with that, but there is definitely a lot more money in the boston-cambridge-somerville area. There is a reason why rents are 2-3x as much in Boston, that's where all of the good jobs are.

And I guess you could compare college hill to parts of Cambridge. But there is nothing in Providence as wealthy as Beacon Hill or the Back Bay. Or if you're looking at the suburbs there is nothing in RI as wealthy as Brookline, Wellesley, Weston, etc.

RI has brown, a few hospitals, and CVS but it's not close to the economic powerhouse that the Boston area is.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:36 AM

652 posts, read 750,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
But there is nothing in Providence as wealthy as Beacon Hill or the Back Bay. Or if you're looking at the suburbs there is nothing in RI as wealthy as Brookline, Wellesley, Weston, etc.
Newport

Old 02-20-2018, 09:42 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
Newport

Newport is 45 minutes away... Not really a suburb. Though some do commute.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:43 PM

787 posts, read 780,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I’m not home that much anyway as I generally work over 80 hours per week, so paying half as much so I can save more for a house makes more sense.
That's crazy. The money better be worth it, heh.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:31 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,233,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
Newport
Newport per capita income: 35,644.

Weston per capita income: 105,217.

Sure Newport has a bunch of summer homes for the rich. But I wonder if lots of those people aren't counted on the census because Newport is not their primary home.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:07 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Slugger View Post
That's crazy. The money better be worth it, heh.
It could always be more

Old 02-21-2018, 07:12 AM

787 posts, read 780,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
It could always be more
Yeah, but you never get that time back.

There's always a happy medium. Personally I could never do that, but to each their own.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:27 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
I think you will bored out of your mind in Marlborough and worn out by the commute. I looked at some of those apartments in Marlborough when I working out there and wasn't impressed with the crowd in some of those buildings. Bad neighbors can result in as much stress as bad roommates, IMO. If you must go suburban, Maynard or Hudson would be a little better and happening and an easier commute, but you will still be surrounded by young families, not singles and couples so much. If you could up your budget a few hundred, I think you could squeeze into Arlington or Melrose, where you would find a more mature crowd and still be close enough to the city to enjoy it. Have you considered a situation where you would live with only one roommate or renting an in-law apartment of a family home? More manageable than multiple roomies I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts