Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 07:20 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
I didn't respond to the CT "boosters" earlier because, well, I often feel that people visit these forums to simply be contrarian. Trust me, though you've never laid eyes on me, Eastern CT would give you a serious case of "buyer's remorse." There really isn't a lot to attract it, a cute recreation of a colonial seaport and a tired old Navy town notwithstanding. If people are going to recommend Eastern CT to you for retirement, maybe they should also recommend Central MA or Northern ME (NOT!!!).

Pot, meet kettle. You are badly representing costal CT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 09:19 AM

822 posts, read 858,045 times
Coastal CT, SE Mass. and Rhode Island will have the mildest climate and longest growing season. All the bays make fro great sailing. Narragansett Bay has some of the best sailing waters in the world

Old 03-09-2018, 01:15 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
There are some nice towns in Central Mass.
Not for retirees. Please stick to the topic; I'd rather have a stick in my eye than retire in Hudson, or Brookfield, or Shrewsbury, or Princeton, or...

Old 03-09-2018, 01:16 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Pot, meet kettle. You are badly representing costal CT.
I might answer your post if you could construct a cogent one.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:19 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,658 times
Cape Cod, how about Orleans?

Old 03-11-2018, 10:44 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
We've pretty much honed in on near coastal CT. North of the CT Turnpike. It's affordable, semi rural to rural and everything is close. Love that. MA is beautiful but unless in/near a town western MA is lonely, far from services that we will eventually need. It gets less affordable near the towns and the further east we went. We re looking for s-med size house on a med-lg lot. CT is full of those. We are still looking around. We ruled out interior NH entirely. If we were in our 30-40s it would be a different story but we are not. It's been a good trip thus far and it looks like we ft right in with the locals. Love that too.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:45 PM

12,427 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Thanks for checking in. So Northampton/Easthampton didn't do it for you, eh?

I think CT is also pretty, and once you get outside the NYC commuting radius (which is pretty big), I think it's similarly priced to most of MA. New Haven has some issues, but it also has a fine hospital.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:24 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Not for retirees. Please stick to the topic; I'd rather have a stick in my eye than retire in Hudson, or Brookfield, or Shrewsbury, or Princeton, or...
It's not everybody's cup of tea (ie. I wouldn't recommend it for the OP as there is no coastline there), but plenty of retirees do live there and like it just fine. It's all about personal preference.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:32 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's not everybody's cup of tea (ie. I wouldn't recommend it for the OP as there is no coastline there), but plenty of retirees do live there and like it just fine. It's all about personal preference.
YES - this 'not for retirees' nonsense is ludicrous. Retirees are not a monolith. For some people, it would be perfect, for others, it would be terrible. Rranger doesn't seem to understand that just because he doesn't like it, that doesn't mean that no one else can. (I don't understand how so many people love peppers, because I hate them. But I do not say that no one likes them and that no one would ever order a dish prepared with peppers. I think most people learn this as toddlers -- that what they think and feel is not necessarily the same as what other people think and feel.)

Old 03-12-2018, 11:51 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
What's wrong with Hudson? I've heard of some great developments there the past few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts