Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 08:44 AM

13 posts, read 54,456 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My husband and I are considering a home in the area that I believe is called "East Melrose," and I am just wondering how this area compares to the Cedar Park or Highlands areas in terms of being a good place for a young family?

Also, the home we are interested in is just off of Lebanon Street. We are a bit worried about how much traffic this road gets. Last time we were there it was around 6 pm, so more or less rush hour. Any thoughts on whether Lebanon Street is always busy? Is it mainly residential traffic, or is this street also used by big trucks, buses, and such?

Also, from the map, it looks like in East Melrose there are two park/wooded areas -- the Mt Hood and the Pine Banks parks. Are these nice areas to walk? Does anyone know whether there are any tot-lots/playgrounds in the area. We may not have a chance to revisit the area -- thus all the questions!

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 02:15 PM

59 posts, read 284,185 times
Default melrose

hi! glad you are thinking about melrose, it's really a sweet town, close to boston, but with a walkable downtown and parks nearby. lebanon st is really busy, about half as busy as main street however, and i am not sure the big trucks are allowed on it, they tend to be on main street. you saw it at its busiest. i wouldn't recommend buying right on lebanon, but a side street would be fine. i've never heard anyone refer to 'east melrose,' usually it's by the elementary school - sounds like that area could be referred to as 'by the ripley,' for the school on forest street. i wouldn't venture in pine banks alone, but mt hood is great [golf course and playground], and don't forget 'melrose common' off east foster street, also great. cedar park and highlands are considered more high-end areas of town, but there are noisy, dense, parts within them that i wouldn't recommend if you've found a great spot in the mysterious 'east melrose.' : )

Old 03-24-2008, 07:27 PM

345 posts, read 1,578,020 times
i've always heard melrose split as in upper east side or east side of melrose. I think this is what you are referring to.... i also think lebanon is quite busy and wouldn't consider it a quiet area. If you would like an exact street recommendations from your "list" please dm me and i would be happy to help....

Old 03-25-2008, 07:48 AM

Hmm, so that's not sounding so great. The home we were considering is one house off of Lebanon, so not right on it but pretty darn close. The cross street is Beech Ave, which seems a touch busy too. Any thoughts?

Also, is the Pine Banks area not so good...how so?

For a young (30-something), new family, which neighborhood would be best, ie., with other new families out and about?

Regarding elementary schools in Melrose, I read that you apply to schools. Thus, you could send your kids to any of them? Is that right?

Thanks so much -- we really appreciate the much needed perspective!

Old 03-25-2008, 01:06 PM

11 posts, read 42,818 times
Beech St. is nice (nicer as you go up the hill away from lebanon) - that would be condidered the Hoover School area...You do 'apply', but they are all good schools, not really a big difference between them all. I would say most people select the one which is geographically closest since that is where neighborhood friends also go and most people get their first choice school.

The Common park was mentioned in an earlier post - that is a definite kid magnet and a very nice area. This isn't too far from Beech Street. There are parks EVERYWHERE. I think most areas in Melrose are child-friendly. Lots of preschools, lots of tot-lots, great library for kids, even a lady that sings every other week at the bagel store for the little ones.

I don't think you can go wrong if you like the house a lot and it is a good price. I know some friends that live right on Lebanon and also right on Main Street and they are happy despite the traffic. Put up a picket fence and get a good swing set and you are good to go!

Really, I have become friendly with people from all over the city geographically and haven't heard of a neighborhood that isn't liked. Some people move to bigger homes on the East Side from smaller homes in other areas but there are very nice homes all over the city.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:54 AM

Thanks so much for all the info!!

Real quick, does anyone know about the safety of Pine Banks area? Somebody had mentioned not walking in there alone.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:46 PM

59 posts, read 284,185 times
Default that was me

sorry, i didn't meant to overstate things, i actually just drove by and saw a baseball game underway. it's a nice park, i just wouldn't walk through it at night, it's not well-lit. we go there with the kids on weekends and run around, it's a lot of fun with a hidden playground and astro turf baseball field.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the clarification!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:11 AM

119 posts, read 551,831 times
Default We love Melrose!

Melrose is a wonderful little city! We moved here several years back to take advantage of the "small town feel" of it and never regretted our decision. Schools are great although not at the same level as the Newtons, Winchester, etc., but not far behind either! What matters is the quality of the teachers which are fantastic. My children have all loved their teachers (as have their parents) and they have all thrived under this system.

Every town has its issues, and Melrose is not excempt. However, we have a fabulous mayor who has made some significant changes and the results have been quite favorable.

Have only heard of one incident along Pine Banks, but this was before the apartments along the main road where built and the road was dark, etc.

The area you are looking at has lots and lots of families and is a great neighborhood. People in Melrose are incredibly friendly as are the shop owners. We just love it here!

Hope your house buying experience goes well! Do let us know how things turned out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts