Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2018, 07:59 AM

4 posts, read 6,360 times

Advertisements

Our family (husband, wife, 1 year old daughter) are moving somewhere between Boston and Providence in May, but need help deciding where. I will be traveling between both cities for work. We’re a young family, will have another baby soon, and enjoy an artsy eclectic vibe with activities for little ones. We’re also an interracial family and want to avoid any non-accepting communities. We’re originally from Austin, TX and know nothing about this area. We’ll be renting for at least a year. Any suggestions are very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 08:15 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,205,679 times
Budget? If its the same as another of your threads ($1300max) Boston is completely off the table... Its going to be tough anywhere with that amount.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:29 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,656,675 times
If I were you, and given the qualifications you put forth, I'd suggest NYC. Is that too far to travel to Providence and Boston every day?

But seriously, and with all due respect to people who live in them, Boston's and Providence's suburbs are not really known for an "artsy eclectic vibe;" in fact, I can't think of a single one (outside of maybe Rockport, Salem, or Newburyport, none of which would work for you) that would even come remotely close. You'll need to go to the inner-cities of both Boston and Providence for that kind of activity.

Contrary to what seems to be popular belief, Boston's suburbs (which it sounds would be better for you logistically) aren't really known for non-acceptance of diversity, though I'm sure you'd feel more comfortable in some than others based on your perception of demographics.

MA suburban places with more diversity (I'm assuming African-American, but it's difficult to tell from your post) that are accessible to both Providence and Boston include Dedham, Milton, Randolph, Stoughton, Norwood, Attleboro (maybe). RI places are more difficult to identify; while Providence County has a high Hispanic population, most of that demographic is in cities like Providence, Pawtucket, and Central Falls (not the suburbs which, like the rest of the state, are pretty white). African-Americans are a very small percentage of RI's population, either urban or suburban. In any event, I think you'd like the MA suburbs better ... more to do and more service availability.

Hope this helps, and best of luck with your search!

Last edited by rranger; 03-08-2018 at 08:44 AM..

Old 03-08-2018, 08:54 AM

15,799 posts, read 21,318,694 times
What's your budget? If it's $1300 as someone else noted then you're looking closer to Providence with a longer commute to Boston.

How frequently will you need to be in Boston? Can you take the train? You can get into a more eclectic, artsy neighborhood for cheaper in Providence. In Boston, the same would probably require you to up your budget by at least $1000 if you want a 2 bedroom.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:10 AM

2,439 posts, read 4,807,202 times
Providence itself is widely regarded as artsy and eclectic. Boston and surroundings can be so as well. I agree with ranger that the territory in between seems more mainstream suburban. Not suburban like Texas with densely developed, planned and coordinated subdivisions, but a network of once rural and agricultural small towns that have grown together in a completely unplanned way through random small-scale developments by thousands of builders acting independently. The towns vary as to socioeconomic level but most have some variety along the income scale. All but a few of these towns are 90% or more people of white Euro-American background.

Obviously a place in-between Boston and Providence would work best. Mansfield, Foxborough, Norton, Franklin, Wrentham are all possibilities. Franklin is a very nice, middle class community with good schools, loads of kids and kid-friendly activities, a brand-new high school, and train to Boston. I’d start there.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:24 AM

4 posts, read 6,360 times
Thanks for the suggestions! Our budget is flexible, please don’t be concerned with any previous posts from last year. I’m a Food Safety Auditor with the territory of downtown Boston, south of the MA turnpike from the cape to possibly west of providence. A central location is ideal, although I’m open to more of a commute to fit our needs.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:35 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,672,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonandMichelle View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! Our budget is flexible, please don’t be concerned with any previous posts from last year. I’m a Food Safety Auditor with the territory of downtown Boston, south of the MA turnpike from the cape to possibly west of providence. A central location is ideal, although I’m open to more of a commute to fit our needs.
On a practical level if you're willing to live in a boring suburban bedroom community you can live halfway between Boston and Providence. Otherwise, you're probably going to be forced to live in Providence. The commute from Providence to Boston is quite onerous although there are people who do it every day.

Without an actual budget no one can really give you anything more specific than that.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:50 PM

317 posts, read 329,128 times
What does flexible mean? $4000/month, $3000/month,$2000 month? There are no artsy eclectic areas between Boston and Providence. You can live in a place like that for big money close to Boston or less money in Providence, but nowhere in between unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts