Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 06:48 AM

649 posts, read 816,721 times

Advertisements

There is nothing family friendly about greater Boston. Daycare is incredibly expensive, recreation programs are expensive, many schools have no bus service at all, full day kindergarten may or may not exist and may or may not be free, before and aftercare may not be offered or may be by lottery and will be expensive, summer camp/day camp can be incredibly expensive, going to a museum or even the sea shore involves exorbitant parking fees. You have to understand that whatever it is you want to do, there are a bajillion other people competing to do that same thing at the same time just due to the population density. The only thing that costs a normal amount is a YMCA membership if you are lucky enough to have a Y near you.

Salem itself is mostly middle-to-poor but with some nice amenities, a cute downtown and the commuter rail. It is a mix of nice and downtrodden. I would guess the population to be about 30% Dominican. The schools are not well regarded but have a decent spanish immersion program that helps to deal with the burden of a massive number of "english language learners" under the guise of being a program for native english speakers to learn spanish. It is a less expensive way of integrating the populations than providing intensive ELL intervention for the native spanish speakers.

One of the worst aspects of Salem (and a few other north shore towns) is the fact that there is only one way in and one way out. For a regular town this is bad enough but Salem is a tourist destination, especially at Halloween. This can lead to massive traffic headaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 07:26 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
We would have to know what section of Wisconsin you currently live in. If you're from any town/city not named Milwaukee or Madison, I think you may be in for a bit of culture shock. Sticker-price shock, too, in a very big way..

BTW, I once lived in Madison...

Old 03-22-2018, 08:13 PM

13 posts, read 34,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventythree View Post
Hi Frameofmind

Were you driving for that long commute? Train should be very quick into the city...

10 mins to commuter rail station, 20-25 mins on train to boston, 10-15 for green line, 20 mins on green line to back bay, 15 min walk to office. roughly speaking.

sure, the commuter rail into the city was fairly easy, but it all depends on where you live and where you work, it can add up.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:20 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,233,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
There is nothing family friendly about greater Boston.
The schools in Massachusetts are ranked #1 in the nation.

And honestly the only part of salem that I would lable as poor would be the point. That and some of the apartment towers off of highland Ave (I believe some of those might be section 8 but I'm not sure. The rest is solidly middle class.

And there are some neighborhoods off of the Salem common that are downright beautiful. Basically a suburban Beacon Hill at a lower price point.

And I do think that Salem has some of the best nightlife in the Boston area outside of Boston/Cambridge. Still stinks that all of the places close at 1am instead of 2am though.

Salem does have a great restaurant scene too.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:22 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
The only thing that costs a normal amount is a YMCA membership if you are lucky enough to have a Y near you.
A YMCA membership is expensive everywhere.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:57 PM

317 posts, read 331,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post

And honestly the only part of salem that I would lable as poor would be the point. That and some of the apartment towers off of highland Ave (I believe some of those might be section 8 but I'm not sure. The rest is solidly middle class.

And there are some neighborhoods off of the Salem common that are downright beautiful. Basically a suburban Beacon Hill at a lower price point.

And I do think that Salem has some of the best nightlife in the Boston area outside of Boston/Cambridge. Still stinks that all of the places close at 1am instead of 2am though.

The stats say 60% of Salem high school students receive free/reduced lunch. It ranks 301 out of 348 HSs in MA for test scores. Yes, MA schools are great overall, but I would not move across the country to send my kids to Salem public schools.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:02 PM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post

I agree completely. Salem is a gem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts