Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2018, 07:44 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,206,413 times

Advertisements

Preferably excluding Canada Just so we can vary it up a bit.

I just got back from Paris and really loved it. I didn’t use this deal, but I saw some sites actually have $99 one way flights to Paris now. However you have to leave from New Jersey and it is only for certain months. Still, a hell of a deal to go to Europe for what’s more akin to the cost of a train ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 08:34 AM

24,508 posts, read 17,962,799 times
On my own dime, I use frequent flyer miles. I do anything possible to avoid an overnight flight to Europe so I take the British Airways morning flight using American Airlines OneWorld miles. 1-way BOS-LHR was $153.10 in taxes and fees. I also paid extra for an aisle seat assignment. The flight home from Lisbon on TAP was $97.52.

I'd happily take a discount carrier home but I have no interest in an overnight flight to get to Europe.

I've always flown business class on my employer's dime to get to Asia/Australia. My last trip was KAL to Seoul over Toronto to get the cheap Canadian business class fares. I did a Quantas LAX/Sydney on FT points once in business class for a NZ summer ski trip. If I ever pay my own way to fly to Asia, I'd probably do the JAL Dreamliner in premium economy.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:42 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,375,237 times
To the OP, Norwegian Air has some great fares from Boston, Providence and Hartford to European destinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
On my own dime, I use frequent flyer miles. I do anything possible to avoid an overnight flight to Europe so I take the British Airways morning flight using American Airlines OneWorld miles. 1-way BOS-LHR was $153.10 in taxes and fees. I also paid extra for an aisle seat assignment. The flight home from Lisbon on TAP was $97.52.
The surcharges for business and first class award tickets on BA drives me insane. We took a trip to Barcelona last year and luckily found award space on Iberia as the surcharges on BA would have been $1k per ticket.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:04 PM

12,581 posts, read 21,733,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Preferably excluding Canada Just so we can vary it up a bit.

I just got back from Paris and really loved it. I didn’t use this deal, but I saw some sites actually have $99 one way flights to Paris now. However you have to leave from New Jersey and it is only for certain months. Still, a hell of a deal to go to Europe for what’s more akin to the cost of a train ticket.
Norwegian is decent enough for ultra low cost. I’ve flown R/T between BOS and LGW for $345 with a bag and seat assignment.

Don’t sleep on Air Canada either. Last year I flew BOS-CPH via YYZ for $360. That’s a full service carrier so the fare includes checked bags, carry-on, seat assignment, food/alcohol, etc. The two catches are the layover (SAS flies direct between BOS and CPH) and clearing US Customs in YYZ on the return is a pain.

Also check the map on google flights. It always shows the best deals.

Btw- those $99 one ways are on Primera Air. Think Norwegian but with less of a track record and narrow body jets. Maybe worth it, but I’m hesitant.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:19 PM

165 posts, read 114,938 times
In 1996 SAS celebrated it's 50th anniversary by offering 100 seats at $50 each way. My husband and I were lucky enough to get in on the deal. After taxes, etc...it was under $200 per person from Boston to Bergen, Norway. I'll never be that lucky again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: