Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 07:57 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,909,909 times

Advertisements

So, the summary is: The OP may have a tough time finding a reasonable property at that $1.1M price point in Winchester, Belmont, Lexington, Concord, Newton, and Wellesley. If that's the case, and the OP wants to maintain a large(r) yard and good schools, suggestions are Andover, Needham, Lincoln and possibly Reading/Acton/Sharon.

Here are some properties I've seen that may be worth a look.
Reading: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M37749-92940
Andover: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean..._M43486-92343#
Lincoln: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M43059-14310
Needham: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M33245-03854

Last edited by mwj119; 04-03-2018 at 08:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Looking at Concord though it's a good bit more expensive then I realized.
I'm surprised to hear that. I always thought that it was, for a number of reasons, one of the three-four-five nicest towns in Massachusetts. I've said this before, but there are no two towns I like getting lost in more than Concord and Carlisle.

To me, it's a town that has a little bit of everything. Estates on 5 acres, smaller walkable colonial neighborhoods built around the downtowns, very nice arts/theatre/athletic facilities, great schools, a number of waterways for canoeing and kayaking, ton of biking and running trails, two train stations, etc. And, I have a soft spot for the small but awesome little restaurant scene in Concord. Woods Hill Table, Karma, Saltbox Kitchen, 80 Thoreau, Nashoba Bakery, Adelita, Walden Italian Kitchen, Main Street Cafe, Fiorellas. A ton of emphasis on sustainability and sourcing food locally. They are actually in process of building a new, upscale Euro style market right off of downtown by Trails End Cafe.

Last edited by Yac; 12-07-2020 at 02:43 AM..

Old 04-03-2018, 08:44 AM

317 posts, read 331,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I'm surprised to hear that. I always thought that it was, for a number of reasons, one of the three-four-five nicest towns in Massachusetts. I've said this before, but there are no two towns I like getting lost in more than Concord and Carlisle.

To me, it's a town that has a little bit of everything. Estates on 5 acres, smaller walkable colonial neighborhoods built around the downtowns, very nice arts/theatre/athletic facilities, great schools, a number of waterways for canoeing and kayaking, ton of biking and running trails, two train stations, etc. And, I have a soft spot for the small but awesome little restaurant scene in Concord. Woods Hill Table, Karma, Saltbox Kitchen, 80 Thoreau, Nashoba Bakery, Adelita, Walden Italian Kitchen, Main Street Cafe, Fiorellas. A ton of emphasis on sustainability and sourcing food locally. They are actually in process of building a new, upscale Euro style market right off of downtown by Trails End Cafe.
Yes. Love Concord. Just about the nicest town in MA imo.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:04 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,657 times
Agreed, Concord is really nice. For some reason I just didn't realize how much more it was then places like Bedford, Burlington, etc. It even seems like there are more properties in the OP's price range in Weston, although most of those are under 3000 square feet.

My favorite suburb of Boston is Marblehead, as long as you don't have to drive in and out of it. I like the rocky coastline and the architecture haha.

Concord is great for the more spread out suburban feel while still having a nice town center.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:58 AM

79 posts, read 87,006 times
Chiming in on Acton -- we recently moved after living there for 16 years and have children who went all the way through the Acton schools from preschool through the high school (we have a child who just graduated in 2017). Offering my two cents based on my own experience within the community.

Acton is an extremely child-centered community as it is comprised almost exclusively of families with children. People move there to raise children because of the schools, and because you can find every type of children's activity under the sun right within the town limits.

The community is educated, progressive and culturally and religiously diverse. The school system is now almost 50% Asian, primarily Chinese and Indian. At the 2017 high school graduation ceremony there were dozens of flags displayed representing the countries of origin of the graduates. It was pretty unique to see so many different backgrounds represented. There is very little economic diversity, however -- two-parent, upper middle class and highly educated families are the norm.

Overall, Acton is a very down-to-earth, sheltered and wholesome community in which to raise children. The schools are well funded (high taxes) and provide a top notch education. On the flip side, the schools are now very large and over-crowded, especially at the high school. The high school can also be an extremely stressful environment as it is highly competitive and has been described as a "pressure cooker." No doubt that the students are well prepared for college, but the darker side of that is student malaise, alcohol and drug use, depression and even student suicide. I'm sure that many similar communities are in the same boat.

The town is now trying to get in front of these serious issues at the high school. They are in the process of hiring a new high school principal and a new superintendent for the next school year. They have also initiated a suicide prevention program, as well as creative stress relievers for the students, including a therapy-dog program.

At a $1.1 million housing budget you will have access to the largest, finest homes in Acton as there is very, very little above that price range. In fact, you can spend less and still have your choice of newer, large homes in great neighborhoods. Most homes have large backyards and there is a lot of green space in Acton - hiking trails, parks, bike paths, etc.

There is no walkable downtown per se except for a small area in West Acton and most businesses are in strip malls. There are clothing stores, hair salons, grocery stores, banks, pizza places, and family type restaurants. You will not find fine dining or nightlife - the businesses shut down by 9pm and the streets are deserted. Yes, it can be a little boring and a bit stifling. We were certainly ready for something different after 16 years in Acton, which is why we moved to Newburyport, where we currently live and our youngest attends high school.

Let me know if you have any questions - I hope this info is helpful!

Old 04-03-2018, 04:28 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post

$1 million for that house in Needham and it has no garage and a 7000 sq ft lot. Dang...

Old 04-03-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontwanttocheckmymessage View Post
No doubt that the students are well prepared for college, but the darker side of that is student malaise, alcohol and drug use, depression and even student suicide. I'm sure that many similar communities are in the same boat.

The town is now trying to get in front of these serious issues at the high school. They are in the process of hiring a new high school principal and a new superintendent for the next school year. They have also initiated a suicide prevention program, as well as creative stress relievers for the students, including a therapy-dog program.
Not to at all discredit your experience, but the pervasive drug use isn't specific to Acton or the pressure cooker environment. While I understand the connection you're making between the pressure and expectations and the dependence on alcohol/drugs, etc. it's simply too simple of an equation. I do subscribe to the idea that the pressure can ultimately be a con, and have a negative effect on a students life/experience at school.

But, alcohol and drugs are abused for a multitude of reasons- Curiosity, accessibility, boredom, home life, genetics. I bet the drug dependence and usage statistics are higher in Weymouth than they are in Acton. Higher in Gloucester than they are in Lexington. No relevance to schools, as those data points would suggest.

Just want to clarify that part.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:48 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
$1 million for that house in Needham and it has no garage and a 7000 sq ft lot. Dang...
Plus Great Plain Avenue is a major busy road.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:51 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,657 times
That Lincoln house seems like a good deal. I wonder if there is a catch.

Edit: Your backyard is Route 2. You're only a 10 min drive from Alewife though so commutewise it's ideal commute wise (excluding Alewife afternoon traffic). But Route 2 itself almost never backs up.

Last edited by tysmith95; 04-03-2018 at 06:02 PM..

Old 04-03-2018, 06:07 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
That Lincoln house seems like a good deal. I wonder if there is a catch.

Edit: Your backyard is Route 2. You're only a 10 min drive from Alewife though so commutewise it's ideal commute wise (excluding Alewife afternoon traffic). But Route 2 itself almost never backs up.
10 minutes at 2 AM in perfect summer weather. In the AM it'll be a 20-30 minute drive with the lights and probably closer to 40 minutes home as you can't turn onto the street from Rt 2 W. You have to drive down to the curve at 2A and turn around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts