Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 01:54 PM

42 posts, read 48,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbree View Post
The obsession with school rankings really is baffling.
How so? If you want the best educational opportunities for your children then you look at the rankings. Sure a child that is smart can and will excel in almost any school. But if as a parent I can give them a better advantage why wouldn't I?

I am using primarily the Boston Globe ranking, but also looking at Niche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Ah. That makes it a little more difficult -- remain cognizant of any locations where it is likely you might get a job. If you're commuting to two different areas, your optimal home will be different than if the commute is only to Cambridge. I would definitely put Needham on your list of places to look.

Also, MA schools are better than PA schools. I really think any town you end up in will be fine, as far as schools.
Far better on average - agree completely there. When we relocated to PA 8 year ago we only considered 3 school districts. For MA we are looking at top 25 or so and then working on commuting, housing, etc form there

And yes, I think we will presume I get something in Boston so that is a factor too

Old 04-04-2018, 02:05 PM

10,014 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwohig View Post

I am using primarily the Boston Globe ranking, but also looking at Niche.
I would take those Niche rankings with a big grain of salt.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:08 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Taking the shuttle is a possibility. I meant we want to avoid the commuter buses.

According to the rankings we have seen, Swampscott and Beverly both ranked much lower (44 and 87 respectively). Will take a look at Marblehead tho - thanks
For network, I’d do the same. I know a ton of folks who went through the Beverly schools, for example, who all turned out great. Good careers, high income, etc. But, no disputing that affluence and high test scores/achievement correlate, as does the opportunity and network kids will have once they graduate. In concord, you will see a lot more C-Levels, doctors, and lawyers. You could certainly say the same in Beverly Farms, but a good % of those kids attend private or Catholic schools. So I don’t blame you at all.

I think Andover is going to check all of your boxes if you can’t find a home in those upper-crust MetroWest towns. Marblehead would do the same.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I would take those Niche rankings with a big grain of salt.
Yup - just using it as extra information more than a primary source. The Globe ranking is based on hard data which for me makes all the difference

Old 04-04-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
For network, I’d do the same. I know a ton of folks who went through the Beverly schools, for example, who all turned out great. Good careers, high income, etc. But, no disputing that affluence and high test scores/achievement correlate, as does the opportunity and network kids will have once they graduate. In concord, you will see a lot more C-Levels, doctors, and lawyers. You could certainly say the same in Beverly Farms, but a good % of those kids attend private or Catholic schools. So I don’t blame you at all.

I think Andover is going to check all of your boxes if you can’t find a home in those upper-crust MetroWest towns. Marblehead would do the same.
Thanks for understanding where I am coming from - will check them out as well

Old 04-04-2018, 02:12 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,387 times
Quote:
Yup - just using it as extra information more than a primary source. The Globe ranking is based on hard data which for me makes all the difference
I think you're mixing up the Boston Globe and Boston Magazine. As far as I know the Globe doesn't do a school district ranking.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:23 PM

10,014 posts, read 15,662,194 times
The Globe publishes MCAS scores by district. The Mass.gov website has information.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I think you're mixing up the Boston Globe and Boston Magazine. As far as I know the Globe doesn't do a school district ranking.
You are correct - Boston Magazine.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:29 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
The Globe publishes MCAS scores by district. The Mass.gov website has information.
Yah but they don't create their own methodology to rank school districts like Boston Magazine or Niche does.

Niche though seems to use some of their own "self reported" surveys for its ranking. That brings in a bit of selection bias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts