Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 10:10 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
In other states it is actually too easy to buy a gun where some all that is needed is a drivers license, paperwork, a quick background check and off you go with your new gun.

There's actually a few regs that I'm surprised MA hasn't addressed despite touting it's laws as toughest in the nation. I thought years ago the 4 FTF transfers per year would go away. Of course I understand the onus is on the seller to make sure their transaction is good considering if something were to happen they would get a knock on the door from the PD.

I'm also surprised MA, and the Fed in general, hasn't addressed the laws surrounding individual manufacturing and 80% receivers in general. This one I'm really surprised at considering it's one that could really be abused.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 04-10-2018 at 10:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 10:23 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Cars = Main purpose of, and when used correctly, transportation.
Guns = Main purpose of, and when used correctly, killing.

People trying to link the two are so freaking weak.
Why does the "purpose" of something matter how it is used? Vehicles are used for mass murder on a regular basis. Also, many guns are designed, made and used specifically for target shooting and sporting purposes like Sporting Clays, Trap, Skeet, Bullseye competition, IDPA, USPA, Olympic style sports shooting, etc. When used correctly, they do not kill, but give joy to millions in sport, and competition.

The gun does not have will, nor intent, it is merely a tool. Respect my RIGHT to own, and carry a firearm, and I will respect your PRIVILEGE to drive a car.

Last edited by Pilot1; 04-10-2018 at 11:02 AM..

Old 04-10-2018, 10:33 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,351,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Why does the purpose of something matter how it is used. Vehicles are used for mass murder on a regular basis. Also, many guns are designed, made and used specifically for target shooting and sporting purposes like Sporting Clays, Trap, Skeet, Bullseye completion, IDPA, USPA, Olympic style sports shooting, etc. When used correctly, they do not kill, but give joy to millions in sport, and competition.

The gun does not have will, nor intent, it is merely a tool. Respect my RIGHT to own, and carry a firearm, and I will respect your PRIVILEGE to drive a car.
Damn! You beat me to it.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:49 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Cars = Main purpose of, and when used correctly, transportation.
Guns = Main purpose of, and when used correctly, killing.

People trying to link the two are so freaking weak.
That was my point, exactly. And substitute other devices (e.g. fertilizer, pressure cookers, knives, ropes,...) for cars to extend the point.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:02 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Legally speaking, every (adult) American has the freedom/right to apply for a license, and if qualified and responsible, the privilege to operate a vehicle on public roads. I'd argue, given the current legal interpretations of the 2a, both are effectively 'privileged rights' in the fact that there are limits and no guarantees on said limits - just the fundamental rights of access.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:06 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Legally speaking, every (adult) American has the freedom/right to apply for a license, and if qualified and responsible, the privilege to operate a vehicle on public roads. I'd argue, given the current legal interpretations of the 2a, both are effectively 'privileged rights' in the fact that there are limits and no guarantees on said limits - just the fundamental rights of access.
I understand your argument. In effect, government has rendered it to be like a privilege. However, only one is specifically mentioned in the Constitution, and I would contend that MOST of the restrictions on the Second Amendment, especially by states are illegal, and unconstitutional. Gun ownership, and use is NOT a state's rights issue, and I am a huge proponent of states rights in general, except when they agreed to the Constitution when they became states.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:25 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,351,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Your argument suffers from a degree cognitive dissonance. If we had national or state registered licensing and background checks (as MA does), it would not suddenly offer you reciprocity with a firearm. You know - state's rights and such. I currently cannot roll through a stop sign in MA (legally) or hold a cellphone in NH (legally) because the state's define the traffic laws; however, insurers and civil engineers have more less forced consistency which causes citizens to lose sight of this fact.

Additionally, comparing death rates of driving, an utility used daily by some 200+ million Americans which is vital to the U.S. economy given current infrastructure, to the death rates from firearms wreaks of 'whataboutism'. It's non-equivalent and suspect you know this.
Cognitive dissonance? Your entire post makes no sense whatsoever? I can see my post went way over your head. I was responding to post #71 who felt that gun owners should be subject to the "same minimum licensing & registration requirements that car owners/drivers have to do." That being the case then gun owners should be able to carry their guns anywhere throughout the United States. Just as drivers are free to drive their vehicles anywhere throughout the United States. Why is that so hard to understand? I don't think there's anywhere in the United States where you can just (legally) roll through a stop sign?

By your sound reasoning then Massachusetts or any other state could prohibit anyone with an out of state drivers license from driving on their roads. "You know - state's rights and such."

Your chances of getting killed or injured in a motor vehicle accident are far greater than getting accidentally shot by someone who is LAWFULLY carrying a gun. It's non-equivalent and suspect you know this.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:44 AM

4,624 posts, read 4,892,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
More details.
"Raul Devers, 22, of Springfield, pleaded not guilty in Springfield District Court on March 26 to carrying a loaded firearm without a license, possession of a high-capacity feeding device, possession of oxycodone and a motor vehicle lights violation."
I recently started to follow Worcester PD twitter. Almost everything they post tacks on gun charges - possession of cocaine with intent to distribute, and throw a couple unlicensed gun charges on there - traffic stop, find a loaded unlicensed gun - etc.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:48 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Why does the "purpose" of something matter how it is used? Vehicles are used for mass murder on a regular basis. Also, many guns are designed, made and used specifically for target shooting and sporting purposes like Sporting Clays, Trap, Skeet, Bullseye competition, IDPA, USPA, Olympic style sports shooting, etc. When used correctly, they do not kill, but give joy to millions in sport, and competition.

Purpose and intent mean everything. Everything. Is an atomic bomb just a "tool"? No, its a weapon of war. Is sarin gas just a "tool"? No, of course note. Neither are large capacity magazines. Not at all the same of an airplane that can also be used to kill. Yes, it matters, a lot.

And please, I've shot. I've hunted quail (freaking delicious), pheasant, done trap shooting. No one is talking about taking a 16 gauge shotgun away, or a biathlon rifle. Save the slippery slope BS for someone else.

The 2nd amendment includes "well regulated" as part of it, so our forefathers were fine with regulations, and amendments aren't limitless. We've limited felons having them after there sentences are served, and we have limits on most amendments, as in you can't yell "fire" in an auditorium.

And I don't want or need your respect. At all.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:49 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Cognitive dissonance? Your entire post makes no sense whatsoever? I can see my post went way over your head. I was responding to post #71 who felt that gun owners should be subject to the "same minimum licensing & registration requirements that car owners/drivers have to do." That being the case then gun owners should be able to carry their guns anywhere throughout the United States. Just as drivers are free to drive their vehicles anywhere throughout the United States. Why is that so hard to understand? I don't think there's anywhere in the United States where you can just (legally) roll through a stop sign?
It makes perfect sense. MA does not require you to forfeit ownership when you cross state lines; however, it can and does restrict your usage - no different than driving, despite the similarities of traffic laws between states. This does not violate your 'rights' according to the current interpretations of the 2a.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
By your sound reasoning then Massachusetts or any other state could prohibit anyone with an out of state drivers license from driving on their roads. "You know - state's rights and such."
They can and do. 18 year old CDL license holder? Better keep it intrastate. 14 year old permit holder from Wyoming? Better not cross into Oregon.

You're conflating standardization and law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts