Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 10:17 AM

317 posts, read 331,731 times

Advertisements

Natick, Sharon. Any place closer with good schools is too expensive. Any place farther with good schools is too far (according to OP).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 10:47 AM

113 posts, read 104,252 times
I'd look for something in Melrose or Braintree. Everything else isn't worth it. A zone 1 pass is what, $200? So that's almost $100K extra over 30 years. For $650 you may be able to find something near the orange or red lines.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:12 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
You can get into Burlington at a little higher price point if you take taxes into account:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M34039-20726

but the commute to Back Bay will be an hour or so each way. You can take the 352 bus to State St. or the commuter rail from Wilmington or Woburn to North Station and then the T to Back Bay.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:29 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times
The 30 minute commute into the city has disappeared unless you live in Boston, Cambridge, Brookline or Somerville. Lately when I arrive at work by bike, the only people there are the city dwellers lately. The suburban commuters have been arriving progressively later each year due to traffic or train delays. Remember every 5 minutes you add to your commute each way is 40 hours per year of your life - a week of vacation!

The Globe concurs: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...GHN/story.html

Last edited by semiurbanite; 04-20-2018 at 11:56 AM..

Old 04-20-2018, 12:32 PM

652 posts, read 750,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
The 30 minute commute into the city has disappeared unless you live in Boston, Cambridge, Brookline or Somerville. Lately when I arrive at work by bike, the only people there are the city dwellers lately. The suburban commuters have been arriving progressively later each year due to traffic or train delays. Remember every 5 minutes you add to your commute each way is 40 hours per year of your life - a week of vacation!

Cheap, Close, Good schools. Pick two.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:40 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
Cheap, Close, Good schools. Pick two.
And with 2 of those you can only really pick one.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:25 AM

513 posts, read 647,010 times
Quote:

+1 I have colleagues who live in Somerville and Brookline and it takes them longer than 30 minutes to get into work. Traffic has increased considerably over the past few years and the trains often run pretty slow during rush hour. I believe the OP asked for a town that was a 30 minute train ride, however, not an all-in commute.

If you truly want to stick with the 30 minute train ride, I would prioritize Sharon or Canton. There are towns on other commuter rail lines that stop in Back Bay in less than 30 minutes (Framingham/Worcester, Needham), but the towns that are only a half-hour ride to Back Bay are expensive.

Oak Grove is a good suggestion, but there are a few things to consider. Oak Grove is on the Malden/Melrose line and there aren't many homes in Melrose within walking distance to the station. This is unfortunate because the parking lot fills up before 7. That means you will need to find an alternative to get to the station. There are many bus lines in Melrose that will take you to the station, but it will add time to your commute. Another option would be the commuter rail (three stops in Melrose), but you would have to make the switch to the orange line at Malden Station or North Station, also adding time.

As others have said, you really need to pick you poison when it comes to commuting to/from Boston. There is always a limiting factor, whether it be budget, commute time, or schools.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alidmc View Post
+1 I have colleagues who live in Somerville and Brookline and it takes them longer than 30 minutes to get into work. Traffic has increased considerably over the past few years and the trains often run pretty slow during rush hour. I believe the OP asked for a town that was a 30 minute train ride, however, not an all-in commute.

If you truly want to stick with the 30 minute train ride, I would prioritize Sharon or Canton. There are towns on other commuter rail lines that stop in Back Bay in less than 30 minutes (Framingham/Worcester, Needham), but the towns that are only a half-hour ride to Back Bay are expensive.

Oak Grove is a good suggestion, but there are a few things to consider. Oak Grove is on the Malden/Melrose line and there aren't many homes in Melrose within walking distance to the station. This is unfortunate because the parking lot fills up before 7. That means you will need to find an alternative to get to the station. There are many bus lines in Melrose that will take you to the station, but it will add time to your commute. Another option would be the commuter rail (three stops in Melrose), but you would have to make the switch to the orange line at Malden Station or North Station, also adding time.

As others have said, you really need to pick you poison when it comes to commuting to/from Boston. There is always a limiting factor, whether it be budget, commute time, or schools.
If you live near any red line station, 30 minutes is pretty realistic. Brookline less likely. Don’t underestimate the bikers - more than 1/3 of the commuters going over the bridges from Cambridge into Boston are cyclists.

Last edited by semiurbanite; 04-21-2018 at 05:34 PM..

Old 04-21-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
And with 2 of those you can only really pick one.
Anyone that really knows MA schools and knows how to look beyond greatschools.com knows that Cambridge has some of the best schools in the state. It’s amazing how much people think they know about school quality yet have no real basis for those opinions. I was one of them, we put our first in private school then switched to public and have no regrets whatsoever.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:42 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Quote:
Anyone that really knows MA schools and knows how to look beyond greatschools.com knows that Cambridge has some of the best schools in the state. It’s amazing how much people think they know about school quality yet have no real basis for those opinions. I was one of them, we put our first in private school then switched to public and have no regrets whatsoever.
Definitely, Cambridge and Brookline have very good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts