Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:27 AM

4 posts, read 8,195 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Needing some advice to start a property search. I'm moving from Los Angeles and looking for a neighborhood in/around Boston that has a lot of 30-somethings, good schools, walkable, safe, fun. We are going to buy a house maybe in the 400K range or cheaper.

I'm up in Marblehead now renting for a few months and it's really nice, but bland and a bit "Desperate Housewives". Looking for something a little more "trendy?"/creative vibe.

People have mentioned the obvious: Cambridge area - any other suggestions north or south of Boston? I work from home and my husband works on movies so his locations are all around Boston/outside of Boston. Just needs to have access to Boston. A little grass yard wouldn't be so bad either...
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 08:50 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
To be honest, I can't think of any place where you could find what you want at that price. Certainly not a single-family house. Any place remotely trendy is quite expensive, and only a condo might be a possibility.
Also, trendy around here isn't much like I imagine trendy to be in L.A. Cambridge is fairly bookish and infamous for people looking frumpy. The other trendy area, Back Bay/South End (sniping at Cambridge for being frumpy) is relatively small, hideously expensive and not very creative (unless you think drinking coffee at the Armani Cafe constitutes creativity).
I do think a lot of the film life around Cambridge/Boston is more in the student world, like Emerson College and all. Nothing wrong with that, but I imagine it's not much like L.A.
Sorry. I hope someone else can give you better answers.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:33 AM

I've been reading the posts and you seem quite familiar, so let me put it a different way. What would be the top 5 places you would recommend for professional couples w/ young kids, easy access to Boston, good schools, forget the housing price range. I'm picturing a smaller town outside Boston, but not one like Marblehead that is a bit stuffy if you know what I mean. No worries about the creative/bookish types and forget trendy, wrong descriptor. Picturing dinner parties vs. hot night life.
Many thanks!

Old 03-27-2008, 11:59 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy323 View Post
What would be the top 5 places you would recommend for professional couples w/ young kids, easy access to Boston, good schools, forget the housing price range. I'm picturing a smaller town outside Boston, but not one like Marblehead that is a bit stuffy if you know what I mean. No worries about the creative/bookish types and forget trendy, wrong descriptor. Picturing dinner parties vs. hot night life.
Many thanks!
A single family house for under $400K would have to be somewhat far from Boston. Putting aside the price range, I'd say Brookline, Newton, Arlington, parts of Belmont, and a tossup for 5th. There are a lot of towns outside Boston that are nice, but the only creative/bookish places like Cambridge tend to be more urban and the schools are more of an issue. Also expensive. All the places I named are expensive as well, but you could probably get a nice 3BR condo in a 2-family in Arlington or Belmont, and perhaps parts of Newton (e.g West Newton) for about $400K or under.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 11,988 times
izzy, unfortunately I can not help you but perhaps you can help me! I saw your post b/c we are interested in marblehead. In our thirties, with 2 elementary school age kids, moving from out of state. As you came from out of state, perhaps you could provide a more unbiased view of Marblehead than those I see on the site (which are mostly people from there, who love the place). I love the water, and need relatively easy access to Boston, good schools, good community, etc. What don't you like about Marblehead, if you don't mind sharing?! Our other thought is Hingham. We have no family or friends there, and therefore no biased toward the north shore or south!

Wish you the best of luck.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:40 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
professional couples w/ young kids, easy access to Boston, good schools, forget the housing price range. I'm picturing a smaller town outside Boston... walkable, safe, .... fun

Since most towns are small and safe and are about an hour from Boston (within Rt495), with no price range... Just search for towns with median income in the $90+K range.

Newton, Wellesley, Lexington, Lincoln, Sudbury, Dover, Sherborn, Southborough, Concord, Winchester, Westwood, Reading, Andover, Hingham, .... just to name a few...

The bolded ones have a walkable down town. No comment on fun...

Old 03-31-2008, 10:09 AM

Default Marblehead, an outsiders view

Hi - please keep in mind I've only been here three weeks, but here's my initial impression.

Marblehead in the winter seems to be a sleepy little town, I'm guessing tourists make it pretty crazy in the summer. It's an OLD town, the house I'm staying in was built in the early 1800s and they get older from there. Everything on the water or in town has very little land to it, most houses are right up against their neighbor. Outside of the historic part, they spread a bit more. Beaches are rocky cliffs and Marblehead Neck looks like Newport RI mansions, gobs and gobs of old money.

Downtown (historic) is geared for tourists - lots of expensive antiques, toy-stores, clothing boutiques, ice cream shop, one small grocery store, and a handful of restaurants and cafes. There is a small children's theater and a few really nice playgrounds (it's been to cold to frequent).

People are so friendly here. I was shocked that my neighbors came to introduce themselves - I've lived in LA for 10 years and don't know most of the people on my street. One of my neighbors took me out for lunch. The population is a bit older here, I see lots of "retirees" although there are families too. I've been told it's a very social place, lots of dinner parties etc esp if you live right in town and you can walk the whole strip.

Maybe a tell tale thing about Marblehead is that they will not allow any gas stations here, you have to go to Swapscott or Salem for any practical shopping. This town tries very hard to keep a historical look, stuck in time if you will. So if you like that sort of thing, this is for you. For me, there's just not enough going on and it's a hike to Boston.

I say come up and stay in one of the (many) bed and breakfasts (only if your children are over 8 years old - I'm told they have age limits?) and you'll get a feel for the town in a nano second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnicosia View Post
izzy, unfortunately I can not help you but perhaps you can help me! I saw your post b/c we are interested in marblehead. In our thirties, with 2 elementary school age kids, moving from out of state. As you came from out of state, perhaps you could provide a more unbiased view of Marblehead than those I see on the site (which are mostly people from there, who love the place). I love the water, and need relatively easy access to Boston, good schools, good community, etc. What don't you like about Marblehead, if you don't mind sharing?! Our other thought is Hingham. We have no family or friends there, and therefore no biased toward the north shore or south!

Wish you the best of luck.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:40 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
check out arlington, salem, maybe j.p. . newton is nice

Old 03-31-2008, 11:52 AM

Default Realtor - Arlington area

Does anyone know a good buyers realtor for the Arlington/Cambridge area?

Old 04-22-2008, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 11,988 times
Izzy, thank you for the very useful information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts