Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 08:15 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwohig View Post
These are charts - not peer reviewed scientific studies.

Numbers don't lie my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 08:29 PM

42 posts, read 48,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Numbers don't mean anything without context or a credible foundation, neither of which you have provided.

Honestly, I never expected you to be able to provide real, scientific, peer-reviewed studies supporting your claims - because none exist.

I'm done with this discussion. I enjoy a good debate with people who can back up their claims. I've provided ample proof that you refuse to accept, while you have provided nothing but pictures and random statements.

On to other things

Old 05-23-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Numbers don't mean anything without context or a credible foundation, neither of which you have provided.

Honestly, I never expected you to be able to provide real, scientific, peer-reviewed studies supporting your claims - because none exist.

I'm done with this discussion. I enjoy a good debate with people who can back up their claims. I've provided ample proof that you refuse to accept, while you have provided nothing but pictures and random statements.

On to other things

Nothing you provided shows a causative effect of what you are claiming, that's why I posted the actual numbers so one has the ability to compare the various countries (as sort of a "control"). To this date, no one has been able to explain why the USA has had greater success at reducing homicide rates WITHOUT these extreme gun control laws than the other countries. It is you making the claim (that tougher firearms laws reduce murder), the burden is on you to prove so.

Quote:
Easy. In fact, 2 years ago the Epidemiologic Review did an article citing 130 studies from 10 countries on gun control. This was the most extensive compilation of gun control research done and the conclusion was emphatic - "The simultaneous implementation of laws targeting multiple firearms restrictions is associated with reductions in firearm deaths.”
https://academic.oup.com/epirev/arti.../1/140/2754868

This is about firearm deaths, not homicides. Acknowledges that results are mixed, and further study would be needed to draw conclusion.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/f...uns-and-death/

Links higher gun ownership to higher gun homicide.

https://ajph.aphapublications.org/do...PH.2013.301409

Link is broken.

https://cdn1.sph.harvard.edu/wp-cont...pring_2011.pdf

Just an exclusively Australian study that fails to explore why rates have dropped in the US in a similar manner, without a gun ban or buyback. Also no mention of how other violent crime ROSE in Australia during that period while that also dropped in the USA. So we can conclude by this study that homicides dropped in Australia after the NFA passed, and that it "seems" to be due to the law. So apparently "seems to" now equates to a "scientific" study??? Super FAIL.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:57 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Go after law abiding gun owners when this is what's really killing our kids......
The parents of the kid who shot everyone in Texas was a "law abiding gun owner" , the parents of the kid shooter at Sandy Hook were "law abiding gun owners" yet their children got their guns and killed innocent others .

To the OP , stop your BS and stick on point.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:07 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
Years ago I saw an argument about "What's the best bloody mary mix" they've been arguing it for over six years now. I think I'm getting flashbacks...

Regardless of evidence and data I think we can safely assume that no one in this thread will ever change their mind due to another persons post.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:47 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

Regardless of evidence and data I think we can safely assume that no one in this thread will ever change their mind due to another persons post.
No, they won't.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:49 PM

42 posts, read 48,392 times
Quote:
True.....and kind of sad

Old 05-23-2018, 03:40 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
Years ago I saw an argument about "What's the best bloody mary mix" they've been arguing it for over six years now. I think I'm getting flashbacks...

Not on this thread, with its multiple ridiculous assertions. But, there are posts on numerous threads that make me stop and think, and sometimes someone will mention a news story or magazine article or book that might change the way I think about something.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:40 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
True but the people that use them do. I take a half filled glass of water and ten people and ask them is it half full or half empty and it's a split down the middle.I can say 50% of ALL PEOPLE POLLED for one thing or another,the numbers aren't wrong just the people using them.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
The parents of the kid who shot everyone in Texas was a "law abiding gun owner" , the parents of the kid shooter at Sandy Hook were "law abiding gun owners" yet their children got their guns and killed innocent others .

To the OP , stop your BS and stick on point.

They weren't law abiding if they allowed access to them by their little degenerates (Firearm Safety 101).

This one certainly wasn't within the law either.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8392127121ab

But wait, how could they? They have had a gun ban in place for 22 years!

Neither did any of these laws stop the Maryland shooter:
  1. Maryland’s “assault weapons” ban
  2. Maryland’s 10 round magazine limit
  3. Maryland’s universal background check system
  4. Maryland’s exhaustive application process to obtain a permit to purchase a handgun
  5. Maryland’s law prohibiting the purchase of more than one firearm per month
  6. Maryland’s law requiring handgun registration
  7. Maryland’s law requiring licensing of handgun owners
  8. Maryland’s extremely limited approval of conceal carry permits
  9. Maryland’s refusal to honor conceal carry permits from other states
  10. Federal law prohibiting handgun ownership under 21
  11. Laws prohibiting carrying a handgun without a permit
  12. Gun free zones
  13. Laws against discharging a firearm in public
  14. Laws prohibiting murder

What did you say?

Yes, the ARMED school resource officer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts