U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 05:05 AM

188 posts, read 213,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
10 miles*, not minutes. It's actually 14 miles, so I was admittedly off.

But you can go on and on, as can I.

Route 3 is a travesty, and getting from downtown Hingham to 3 via 228 isn't exactly a treat. The towns sprawl, way more than they do on the North Shore. Hingham's population density is <1000 p/sqmi. Marblehead? 4500 p/sqmi. Scituate is 1000 p/sqmi, while again, Swampscott is 4500 p/sqmi. So, while it may be more congested in areas, it's also walkable. And bikeable. And has a buzz. Driving to Worlds End on a busy day and waiting (and paying) for parking isn't really my ideal afternoon. In fact, my favorite little area of Hingham is the one full of capes that sits just east of the Shipyard development. Why? Because you can walk there.

There's a lack of early school programs!? Swampscott schools have early programs. The town has Family Child Care, New Sunrise, First Church. Marblehead much the same with Devereux, First Meeting House, etc. BC High is a train ride away? Heard of Saint John's Prep? Many kids attend Malden Catholic. What about Governors? This schooling banter is useless- Hingham and Cohasset are great, so is Marblehead and Manchester. Scituate is fine, so is Swampscott.

You are right. Families desire different things. As someone from Chicago, who's familiar with Hinsdale, I'm not sure a town like Cohasset should even be in the discussion. Most certainly, a town like Marblehead would be more comfortable (unless they're looking for a big change). Either way, the commute shouldn't be recommended from the North Shore or South Shore. Besides, I'm a MetroWest guy through and through
Have you seen many people biking in Swampscott? How many people you know that are willing to buy a $2M house in Swampscott!? Even in Marblehead, it is questionable whether this is worth it. Just look at the sales on Redfin etc and compare to Hingham-Cohasset area. In addition, there are very few new houses in that area. Simply, North shore has limited space.
MetroWest is certainly a better choice than the North Shore. I still think MetroWest is overrated and that one is forced to spend at least a million for a very old house and I do not see any other reason to live there than convenience to commute to Back Bay. MetroWest lacks personality. It is just another American suburban area.
The only disadvantage of the South shore is lack of diversity. North shore has definitely economic and religious diversity. In Marblehead and Swampscott there is a very strong and vibrant Jewish component and many synagogues etc. In Brookline and Newton in west too. In addition, Newton and Brookline are totally culturally diverse. Even Acton and Lexington have more diversity than the South shore.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 06:49 AM

2,914 posts, read 3,084,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
But the oceans are full of sharks and seaweed!!

I wouldn't worry about N. Fowleri - it's common in warm water lakes and in New England, those are few and far between.
And jellyfish! I've seen Portuguese man o' wars on Rhode Island beaches. They can mess you up!

(and they aren't technically jellyfish, but siphonophorae or colonies of tiny organisms)

Old 06-08-2018, 07:06 AM

18,472 posts, read 10,399,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I love Marblehead or Manchester, but those don't make much sense from a commute standpoint.

Yeah, I'd want to be on salt water. Hingham has the South Station to Back Bay problem so it's a hour+.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:51 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,877,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS-GR View Post
Have you seen many people biking in Swampscott? How many people you know that are willing to buy a $2M house in Swampscott!? Even in Marblehead, it is questionable whether this is worth it. Just look at the sales on Redfin etc and compare to Hingham-Cohasset area. In addition, there are very few new houses in that area. Simply, North shore has limited space.
MetroWest is certainly a better choice than the North Shore. I still think MetroWest is overrated and that one is forced to spend at least a million for a very old house and I do not see any other reason to live there than convenience to commute to Back Bay. MetroWest lacks personality. It is just another American suburban area.
The only disadvantage of the South shore is lack of diversity. North shore has definitely economic and religious diversity. In Marblehead and Swampscott there is a very strong and vibrant Jewish component and many synagogues etc. In Brookline and Newton in west too. In addition, Newton and Brookline are totally culturally diverse. Even Acton and Lexington have more diversity than the South shore.
Plenty of people spend $2M in Manchester and Beverly Farms. That says nothing about the North Shore vs. South Shore and demand, and has everything to do with what you can physically build in these towns. So of course Marblehead and Swampscott don't have as many $2M homes. Density plays a large part in that. You're comparing apples to oranges. And, all of that being said, Marblehead has ~50% less homes for sale than Hingham. For towns similar in size, what does that tell you?

"MetroWest lack personality". Credibility gone. Concord/Lexington/Newton/Arlington/Needham? Concord has as much personality in it's big toe as that faceless town named Cohasset. Short commute isn't the only reason it's the MetroWest. To me, the area compromises about 75% of the most desirable suburbs in MA. Have you thought about all of that work on 95 between Waltham and Burlington, 495 Hopkinton to Westford? It was put there for a reason.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:14 AM

12,253 posts, read 13,550,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I love the sebego lake/long lake area.
My favorite area to go to in the summer.

Runner up would be Winnesquam and/or Newfound Lake.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Plenty of people spend $2M in Manchester and Beverly Farms. That says nothing about the North Shore vs. South Shore and demand, and has everything to do with what you can physically build in these towns. So of course Marblehead and Swampscott don't have as many $2M homes. Density plays a large part in that. You're comparing apples to oranges. And, all of that being said, Marblehead has ~50% less homes for sale than Hingham. For towns similar in size, what does that tell you?
It tells me that the population in Hingham area is a bit more labile. This makes sense because it is a preferred spot for folks that work in the financial district and Seaport area and thus in related sectors where job opportunities may be great, but necessitate relocation etc.

Quote:
"MetroWest lack personality". Credibility gone. Concord/Lexington/Newton/Arlington/Needham? Concord has as much personality in it's big toe as that faceless town named Cohasset. Short commute isn't the only reason it's the MetroWest. To me, the area compromises about 75% of the most desirable suburbs in MA. Have you thought about all of that work on 95 between Waltham and Burlington, 495 Hopkinton to Westford? It was put there for a reason.
By "personality", I do not mean history or architectural style etc. I mean the ability to tell the difference by just looking around. You are telling me that you can tell the difference between Wellesley, Newton or Arlington and Brookline? You walk around Marblehead neck and it is distinct. You walk on Jerusalem road in Cohasset and you can tell the personality....MetroWest totally lacks this feeling. What exactly is the difference between Dover and Concord or Medfield? You know that from what you call "faceless" towns, you can take a boat to work and back home... but of course you can choose the scenic and unique I-90 from MetroWest too a ton of personality for commuting option right there
Finally, you say that Hingham to Back Bay is not exactly a treat.... How about going from Lexington to Back Bay!?! or even Arlington?

Old 06-08-2018, 11:57 AM

2,190 posts, read 1,643,625 times
Metro West does not lack personality. The only thing it lacks is ocean. Concord, Lexington, Wellesley, etc. Lots of history and some beautiful landscapes. You're right that it's prohibitly expensive for many though. For someone with a 2 million dollar budget it's a good place to live.

The metro west is much nicer then the sprawling suburbs of other major cities. Lots of places retain almost a small town rural feel while still being accessable to most of the Boston job market. And there really aren't any bad parts of the metro west, it's all safe.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:50 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,877,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS-GR View Post
You are telling me that you can tell the difference between Wellesley, Newton or Arlington and Brookline?
Just... Wow. If you can't tell the difference between Arlington and Wellesley, then why are you even commenting on this thread?

Where's the hidden camera!?

EDIT: Just mustered up the juice to finish reading your comments. How's the commute from Lexington to Back Bay? The same as the commute from Cohasset or Hingham. It's terrible. You'd likely drive to Alewife (5-7 miles), and then go red to green. But from Newton, it's great. Brookline, it's great. And, all of those towns have access to the rest of the jobs the state has to provide, while the 7k people in Cohasset have a beach they can use three months a year. Please.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:51 PM

38,727 posts, read 29,120,751 times
Quote:
Just... Wow. If you can't tell the difference between Arlington and Wellesley, then why are you even commenting on this thread?

Yeah, that caught me. Brookline and Arlington are nothing alike in my eyes.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:

EDIT: Just mustered up the juice to finish reading your comments. How's the commute from Lexington to Back Bay? The same as the commute from Cohasset or Hingham. It's terrible. You'd likely drive to Alewife (5-7 miles), and then go red to green. But from Newton, it's great. Brookline, it's great. And, all of those towns have access to the rest of the jobs the state has to provide, while the 7k people in Cohasset have a beach they can use three months a year. Please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, that caught me. Brookline and Arlington are nothing alike in my eyes.
The point is that most of these towns look similar. Wellesley or Newton, Dover, Medfield etc...
North part of Brookline and Arlington look the same to me...
South part of Brookline and Wellesley look the same to me
What is so special about choosing one place over the other? Nothing...that's why in these areas, people generally end up going to a town where they find the best house they like.
I am not saying this is a bad thing to do. I am not saying that these areas are inferior. I just do not understand the whole fuss about which town is better, when they all look the same.
I am glad that the only thing that you find in MetroWest is convenience. Convenience being a minimum of 30 minutes door to door each way (driving), most likely 45min... which makes the marginal extra time of commute from South shore about 30 minutes.
By the way, if you want to help OP to choose the best town to commute to Back bay (with best schools etc), you have to propose Sharon... not the MetroWest. You cannot beat the direct commuter rail connection there.... 26 minutes only in the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts