Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 07:48 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by benton55 View Post
First of all, thanks for the input and insights into the Boston area suburbs... was interesting to read about all of the pros / cons and what you all find appealing in the different areas. We found many of your observations to be helpful... so thank you.

We focused in on Lexington, Newton, Needham and Wellesley and have chosen Wellesley. We're excited to explore the area and for the opportunity to get to meet new people.
Great choice, and a beautiful town.

Price per sq/ft in Wellesley is up around $470, while Hinsdale is around $285. But as you likely already know, in an apples to apples comparison of home values, what you'll save in taxes will cut the ppsqft difference by a third. Outside of that difference, I think you'll find the communities are more alike than they are different. I'm going to assume that you'll see a larger international presence in Wellesley, which I find very appealing. That entire area, from Brookline through Newton and Wellesley, has a huge international presence.

Complete side note: Wellesley schools host half days on either Tuesday or Wednesday bi-weekly. It's seemingly a town ritual that the kids ride their bikes to The Linden Store and eat sandwiches for lunch. Something really refreshing about that whole idea, and was glad to see it's alive in well in Wellesley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 10:38 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
First of all, thanks for the input and insights into the Boston area suburbs... was interesting to read about all of the pros / cons and what you all find appealing in the different areas. We found many of your observations to be helpful... so thank you.

We focused in on Lexington, Newton, Needham and Wellesley and have chosen Wellesley. We're excited to explore the area and for the opportunity to get to meet new people.
Wellesley is a great place to live. One thing you want to be aware of when home shopping in Wellesley is that a couple of the elementary schools have an overcrowding issue and several of the grades in those schools are closed to new students. Therefore, you may buy a house in X school district and your child ends up going to Y school because their grade is closed at X school. The people of Wellesley LOVE that they have "neighborhood" schools and right now that's not 100% the case. A lot of buyers work hard to find a house that's walking distance to their kids' school and sometimes that ends up being wasted effort if they're not aware of what grades are closed and in what schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Complete side note: Wellesley schools host half days on either Tuesday or Wednesday bi-weekly. It's seemingly a town ritual that the kids ride their bikes to The Linden Store and eat sandwiches for lunch. Something really refreshing about that whole idea, and was glad to see it's alive in well in Wellesley.
LOVE the Linden Store! I'm partial to the Avocado Special. Yum! Another hidden gem in Wellesley is the Fells Market. Great steak tips that are pre-marinated and you take them home to cook them.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:52 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post

Another hidden gem in Wellesley is the Fells Market. Great steak tips that are pre-marinated and you take them home to cook them.
When I was a kid, we used to walk or ride bikes to that market and the drug store almost daily. They used to deliver, I wonder if they still do?

Old 07-19-2018, 11:02 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
When I was a kid, we used to walk or ride bikes to that market and the drug store almost daily. They used to deliver, I wonder if they still do?
Not sure. I'm always driving through and around Wellesley on a daily basis. So, I just pop in. Maybe they're on Instacart.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:32 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,339 times
Newton (most dynamic and diverse)
Lexington
Wellesley
Needham

Old 07-21-2018, 10:33 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,339 times
Quote:

Just saw this. Great choice.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:41 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Congratulations, happy home hunting in Wellesley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts