Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 12:44 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS-GR View Post
After many-many years of living in different places and of research about the best area, I have concluded that the most family friendly area in Mass is the South Shore. The Higham-Cohasset area cannot be compared with anything else because it combines ALL these factors: a) good schools, b) unbelievable number of options for kids' education/activities, c) convenience to take kids at/between activities, d) many commuting options to Boston area, e) the sea, f) the proximity to Cape.
If one wants to visit Boston Children's Museum for example, they just need to take the train and at South station they just cross the street... no need to even think about parking or anything, literally it can be 50 minutes door to door. If one wants to visit the Cape, in 35minutes they are there...they do not even need to think about rush hour traffic. Everyday activities for kids in sports, arts (the south shore conservatory for example)... 30 minutes from Thomasland in Endaville... Many farms and activities for kids related to healthy lifestyle, healthy eating etc... Parks for biking, walking, horsebackriding, even camping (World's end, Wompatuck are in the area within 10 minute drive).
Brookline, Newton in my opinion are nice suburbs, but congested and overrated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I'd take Swampscott/Marblehead/Salem/Beverly/Manchester over Hingham/Cohasset/Scituate. More to do, more charming, more buzz. Both situations have the train and boat options, but having Salem's downtown integrated in between the communities is huge. Great food and bar scene for weekend date nights. Marblehead is almost entirely walkable, with schools every bit as good as Hingham, and a much more unique set-up. I'd take the Marblehead peninsula over anything around Hingham/Cohasset. And, in a Cohasset vs. Manchester debate, I'm not sure how anyone could choose Cohasset. Manchester is the cream of the crop.. It does not get any nicer than that.

Getting to the Cape is great, but an equal amount of people want to get to Lake Winnepesaukee/Sebago/Maine/Vermont. With the exception of Nantucket/Martha's Vineyard, I'll take north access over south access.

Overall, I'm just a north shore guy I think, even though I'm from MetroWest. What on the south shore can hold a candle to Newburyport?
Both of these have merit, and would be perfect posts in a the thread about "What is the best area to live in the entire Boston metro area?"

But that's not what this post is about. OP has a commute to the Back Bay. Has $2 million to spend. Currently has a house on a small lot and is okay with the same. Wants walkability and people who like to be outside. That puts Newton at the top of the list. There's nothing here about desiring to go to the Cape frequently or be on the coast. Any of those towns are easy and fun day trips from all of the other towns mentioned in this thread.

(And I think a daily commute from Hingham to the Back Bay would be a nightmare.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 01:01 PM

188 posts, read 283,604 times
Quote:
I'd take Swampscott/Marblehead/Salem/Beverly/Manchester over Hingham/Cohasset/Scituate. More to do, more charming, more buzz. Both situations have the train and boat options, but having Salem's downtown integrated in between the communities is huge. Great food and bar scene for weekend date nights. Marblehead is almost entirely walkable, with schools every bit as good as Hingham, and a much more unique set-up. I'd take the Marblehead peninsula over anything around Hingham/Cohasset. And, in a Cohasset vs. Manchester debate, I'm not sure how anyone could choose Cohasset. Manchester is the cream of the crop.. It does not get any nicer than that.

Getting to the Cape is great, but an equal amount of people want to get to Lake Winnepesaukee/Sebago/Maine/Vermont. With the exception of Nantucket/Martha's Vineyard, I'll take north access over south access.

Overall, I'm just a north shore guy I think, even though I'm from MetroWest. What on the south shore can hold a candle to Newburyport?
Seriously? Salem downtown for what? for kids for example?
Swampscott/Marblehead area has zero things to do for families and especially for kids. You have to shuttle the kids around to the entire North Shore area for activities.
There is absolutely no park or anything within 10 minute drive....Can you compare walking on Swampscott Lynn shore drive or on the street at Marblehead neck to World's end? or Wompatuck? how many farms do you know at Swampscott or Marblehead...? how many options for arts etc does the area offer?
Again, in the North Shore, a family has to use the entire area for activities and things to do and there are a couple of nice, isolated towns here and there like Manchester, but there is no way that you can stay in one area for activities. South shore totally offers this. If one lives in Hingham or Cohasset or Duxbury, there is absolutely no reason to drive anywhere further than maybe 10-15minutes for everything the family needs, unless they want to.
I will not comment on whether North shore is beautiful... this is totally subjective. Getting to the north shore, one has to drive through industrial and ugly areas, in my opinion. I can go on and on... Bottom line is that some people like North shore, some people don't. We did not like the North Shore. There is no argument that South shore is more family-friendly.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:07 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
What options for the arts are on the north shore? Really?

Old 06-07-2018, 01:15 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
What options for the arts are on the north shore? Really?
North Shore Music Theathre (one of the only circular Theathres in the country). Peabody Essex museum. The Cabot theather. Larcom theathre. Probably hundreds of art galleries between Salem, Glocouster, Rockport, and Newburyport.

Way more arts and activities compared to the south shore where you have to go to Boston.

Plus the cape is overrated. I like Maine better and it's easier to get to from the North Shore. Maine is less crowded and more interesting.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Both of these have merit, and would be perfect posts in a the thread about "What is the best area to live in the entire Boston metro area?"

But that's not what this post is about. OP has a commute to the Back Bay. Has $2 million to spend. Currently has a house on a small lot and is okay with the same. Wants walkability and people who like to be outside. That puts Newton at the top of the list. There's nothing here about desiring to go to the Cape frequently or be on the coast. Any of those towns are easy and fun day trips from all of the other towns mentioned in this thread.

(And I think a daily commute from Hingham to the Back Bay would be a nightmare.)
This is not entirely correct. Commuting to/from work is one issue that needs to be taken into account. In my opinion, the other issue that is important is how convenient and pleasant life is in the town you choose to live. This depends on lifestyle etc. Of course, I agree that it is a fun day trip to go to the Cape or to the sea from anywhere in Mass, but one may like to just stroll everyday at the shore after work for 30 minutes or to jog in an amazing park within 10 min drive from home or even to go to the Cape within 30-40 minutes, instead of planning a weekend at the Cape ahead...

Old 06-07-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
North shore music theathre. Peabody Essex museum. The Cabot theather. Larcom theathre. A bunch or art galleries.

Way more arts and activities compared to the south shore where you have to go to Boston.
I am talking about activities for kids related to arts. I am talking about having, for example, the south shore conservatory within 10 minute drive from your home and within the same distance, all the sports facilities for your kids, great farms and great parks... and all this in towns with great schools, plenty of space and new houses...

Maine is great, but there is no way to swim unless you like 55F water... same thing for Manchester and the entire North Shore... Obviously, if one does not like swimming, this point is irrelevant. But for kids again, the Cape is better for this reason.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:23 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,387 times
Quote:
I am talking about activities for kids related to arts. I am talking about having, for example, the south shore conservatory within 10 minute drive from your home and within the same distance, all the sports facilities for your kids, great farms and great parks... and all this in towns with great schools, plenty of space and new houses...

Maine is great, but there is no way to swim unless you like 55F water... same thing for Manchester and the entire North Shore... Obviously, if one does not like swimming, this point is irrelevant. But for kids again, the Cape is better for this reason.
Lakes are better for swimming and boating then the ocean imo.

And there are music classes on the North shore.

Last edited by tysmith95; 06-07-2018 at 01:36 PM..

Old 06-07-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
This is not entirely correct. Commuting to/from work is one issue that needs to be taken into account. In my opinion, the other issue that is important is how convenient and pleasant life is in the town you choose to live. This depends on lifestyle etc. Of course, I agree that it is a fun day trip to go to the Cape or to the sea from anywhere in Mass, but one may like to just stroll everyday at the shore after work for 30 minutes or to jog in an amazing park within 10 min drive from home or even to go to the Cape within 30-40 minutes, instead of planning a weekend at the Cape ahead...
I agree with you, for certain people. There have been posters who express a great affinity for the ocean and for them, even if there is a longer commute, they are willing to trade it. But there is no evidence that is the case for the OP. And given where the OP lives, my guess is that proximity to a beach is not a consideration for her.

I do love the beach and being able to stroll every day at the shore would be a big plus for me. But I would not trade a reasonable commute for that.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:36 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:

Agree.

I personally have something for Lynnfield, but I have my reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Lakes are better for swimming and boating then the ocean imo.
My kids won't even go in the ocean, but they sure love when we hit the lakes in the summer. We've gone to the Vineyard/Cape Cod, but we take far more vacations north, than we do south. Just more to do up north in terms of places to visit for family entertainment. Canobie, Storyland, Santa's Village, lakes, skiing, snowmobiling, etc etc. The Vineyard and Cape are "small" enough that after a few summers, you've just seen it all there. Still despite that, I still enjoy a nice drink from Donovan's Reef at Nancy's in the summer on MV. The options in this area are really nice no matter what you are into.

A lot of these responses are going to be weighed heavily on personal tastes and preferences anyway.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:57 PM

Lakes always make me worry about N. Fowleri.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts