Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 02:37 PM

121 posts, read 158,260 times

Advertisements

Please let me know which town you would choose to live in with a 725k budget given the following parameters:

1. Only need to be in Boston for work 1 or 2 days per week.
2. Excellent Schools are a must
3. Access to stores, shops, etc within a reasonable distance
4. Overall quality of life

I'm going to assume most people will pick Concord given the location, history and bike paths, but its more expensive than the others.

* Note all of these towns were picked because they all appear to have excellent high schools.

Many Thanks-

Last edited by AboveTheIce; 06-06-2018 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 04:20 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
I'm not sure I could pick one. My first thought was Concord, because it has a nice downtown and good restaurants, but I don't know what you can get in your price range. Really, any of them should be fine, and they're not far from each other. I'd keep them all on the list, and look at all the homes for sale in your price range in all 4 towns. Then pick the house that you like the best.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:03 PM

257 posts, read 257,597 times
I think with your budget and requirements I would pick Carlisle. My grandparents lived in Carlisle near the town center (if you can call it that). You feel like you’re in rural Vermont but are still relatively close to a lot of ammenities.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:22 PM

317 posts, read 331,652 times
Westford. Perfect for people commuting 1-2 days.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:40 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECPCVC View Post
Westford. Perfect for people commuting 1-2 days.
Yeah. My sense is that $725K won't go far in the other towns.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:58 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
There's no reason to live in Bedford over Acton or Westford unless there's a daily commute requirement IMO. Smaller, less amenities, less conveniences in town (but close proximity to Burlington is nice), and it has become increasingly more expensive than either.

Concord is simply too expensive, and for those resources/amenities that you enjoy in Concord, you can always shoot into town for them.. The towns on your list all border Cncord anyways. Carlisle is essentially a far reaching neighborhood of Concord.. There's nothing in Carlisle except for beautiful homes and windy roads.

So, with $725k in mind, and with a family, I'm without a doubt going with either Westford or Acton. Having grown up in the Acton area, and now having family in Westford, I have some first hand experience. I'll start by saying that, they're sister towns.. rivals..and quite frequently buyers are actively looking in both. Personally, I prefer Westford. The housing stock is nicer, you'll save ~$5/10 p/sq.ft., and there is more to do in Westford. Multiple power boatable lakes with several town beaches, Westford public swim club, brand new indoor town recreation center called Mill Works, Nashoba Ski Hill, Tiki Bar, Friday night concerts at the Parish on the Common, Apples Blossom Parade, a number of apple orchards, Whole Foods/flagship Market Basket, and a fairly extensive choice of restaurants/eateries along 110 (growing by the minute). And to me, the aesthetics in Westford are simply nicer. The drive from Abbott School through the center to Westford Academy is wonderful.. As are the areas around Hills Orchard, down by Carlisle, etc.

With that budget, you should be able to sneak into some houses in the nicer areas of town. Just googled it, and some of my favorite roads are Woolsack Lane, Randolph Circle, Preservation Way, Baldwin, Priscilla, Chamberlain, Alcorn Crossing, Aldrich, Lakeview, Hutchins Way, Vose Hill, Anne Teresa/Jennifer Dr, Jennie Richards, Steeple Chase, Morning Glory.. All great choices/areas. I will say that Westford has some areas that are not as nice as others. Nabnasset, Forge Village and Graniteville being the ones that come to mind. They were once lake communities/areas, and over the last few decades have become a haven for first time buyers/those looking to get into the schools. You'll end up here quite frequently if you do move to town, though, as much of the water falls within these two areas. Really fun with families, and a GREAT 4th of July show on Nabnassett Lake.

As far as schools, Westford and Acton are generally listed as top 5-10-15 in Massachusetts. People on C-D hate those lists, but I'd assume you subscribed to them to boil it down to this group of towns. For the sociodemographics, I think they're almost identical. I think city data has Westford being a bit more affluent, though both have as many Prius' as BMWs, and neither are loud or in your face at all. And both are at ~20% Asian, and <10% other ethnicities.

DM if you have any questions on Acton/need any more info on Westford! Goodluck!

Last edited by mwj119; 06-06-2018 at 08:30 PM..

Old 06-06-2018, 08:08 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
With that budget, you should be able to sneak into some houses in the nicer areas of town. Just googled it, and some of my favorite roads are Woolsack Lane, Randolph Circle, Preservation Way, Baldwin, Priscilla, Chamberlain, Alcorn Crossing, Aldrich, Lakeview, Hutchins Way, Vose Hill, Anne Teresa/Jennifer Dr, Jennie Richards, Steeple Chase, Morning Glory.. All great choices/areas. Some examples of said areas below (don't focus on houses, but areas):

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M37118-00233
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M33028-32226
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M41794-66504
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M44192-61076
Three of those are way outside OP's price range, 2 of them by nearly 50%.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:24 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Three of those are way outside OP's price range, 2 of them by nearly 50%.
I specifically said "look at the areas, not the houses"

But I realized simply listing the roads/areas/neighborhoods would be more beneficial so I edited my initial post.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
There's no reason to live in Bedford over Acton or Westford unless there's a daily commute requirement IMO. Smaller, less amenities, less conveniences in town (but close proximity to Burlington is nice), and it has become increasingly more expensive than either.

Concord is simply too expensive, and for those resources/amenities that you enjoy in Concord, you can always shoot into town for them.. The towns on your list all border Cncord anyways. Carlisle is essentially a far reaching neighborhood of Concord.. There's nothing in Carlisle except for beautiful homes and windy roads.

So, with $725k in mind, and with a family, I'm without a doubt going with either Westford or Acton. Having grown up in the Acton area, and now having family in Westford, I have some first hand experience. I'll start by saying that, they're sister towns.. rivals..and quite frequently buyers are actively looking in both. Personally, I prefer Westford. The housing stock is nicer, you'll save ~$10/15 p/sq.ft., and there is more to do in Westford. Multiple power boatable lakes with several town beaches, Westford public swim club, brand new indoor town recreation center called Mill Works, Nashoba Ski Hill, Tiki Bar, Friday night concerts at the Parish on the Common, Apples Blossom Parade, a number of apple orchards, Whole Foods/flagship Market Basket, and a fairly extensive choice of restaurants/eateries along 110 (growing by the minute). And to me, the aesthetics in Westford are simply nicer. The drive from Abbott School through the center to Westford Academy is wonderful.. As are the areas around Hills Orchard, down by Carlisle, etc.

With that budget, you should be able to sneak into some houses in the nicer areas of town. Just googled it, and some of my favorite roads are Woolsack Lane, Randolph Circle, Preservation Way, Baldwin, Priscilla, Chamberlain, Alcorn Crossing, Aldrich, Lakeview, Hutchins Way, Vose Hill, Anne Teresa/Jennifer Dr, Jennie Richards, Steeple Chase, Morning Glory.. All great choices/areas. I will say that Westford has some areas that are not as nice as others. Nabnasset, Forge Village and Graniteville being the ones that come to mind. They were once lake communities/areas, and over the last few decades have become a haven for first time buyers/those looking to get into the schools. You'll end up here quite frequently if you do move to town, though, as much of the water falls within these two areas. Really fun with families, and a GREAT 4th of July show on Nabnassett Lake.

As far as schools, Westford and Acton are generally listed as top 5-10-15 in Massachusetts. People on C-D hate those lists, but I'd assume you subscribed to them to boil it down to this group of towns. For the sociodemographics, I think they're almost identical. I think city data has Westford being a bit more affluent, though both have as many Prius' as BMWs, and neither are loud or in your face at all. And both are at ~20% Asian, and <10% other ethnicities.

DM if you have any questions on Acton/need any more info on Westford! Goodluck!
Ok, so where do I send my money for your consulting services?

Wow- I could have not asked for a better rundown if I tried. That was well thought out and really painted
an excellent picture for me. I have not spent much time in the area since I was a kid and my Grandparents had a quite a bit of land around Harvard MA.

We will certainly take your advice and look hard in the areas you suggested. Seems like Westford is well liked in many circles I have been in, ditto for Concord (big plus for the bike trail that I believe runs all the way into Cambridge).

You mention growing up in Acton- what is your take on Boxborough? Stowe?

Another big thanks!

Old 06-06-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southshorebound View Post
I think with your budget and requirements I would pick Carlisle. My grandparents lived in Carlisle near the town center (if you can call it that). You feel like you’re in rural Vermont but are still relatively close to a lot of ammenities.
Thanks- the thought of being close yet away certainly has some appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts