Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 09:48 AM

27 posts, read 37,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Affluent people in leafy suburbs are tolerant of anyone who won't trash their school systems. They won't care about ethnicity or religion as long as their new neighbor is a white collar professional with white collar professional values. If you hold political views that demonstrate poor critical thought, that threatens their gold plated school system and their property values since your children are likely to be the same.

So yeah. Educated people capable of critical thought are pretty intolerant of people who aren't like that.
Interesting you bring this up. While visiting a few properties I noticed a drastic differences in property maintenance here compared to areas in PA. In our old town, if your lawn wasn’t mowed or treated for weeds that season your neighbors will be up in arms. The older couple next door to us would replace his driveway ever summer haha. When we asked about the difference, our realtor suggested that this isn’t a big deal here and folks are more concerned with education and political stances of neighbors! So why can’t all be considered? Aren’t property values an issue?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 11:25 AM

12,361 posts, read 9,462,379 times
Quote:
Educated people capable of critical thought are pretty intolerant of people who aren't like that.
Not always. I have a PhD, and work in a Cambridge biotech with scientists from around the world. For a good while, my girlfriend was an Irish girl who didn't go to college, and neither did her Dad, who lived in a trailer on a small piece of the dairy farm he used to run, before he ran into a string of bad luck. They were just good people, and we were close... I thought very highly of them.

My Mom taught me what her Dad taught her "Whether you are speaking with the garbageman or the governor, you treat everyone the same... and you measure someone by looking into their heart". I still think those were good words to live by.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:29 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgifan View Post
Interesting you bring this up. While visiting a few properties I noticed a drastic differences in property maintenance here compared to areas in PA. In our old town, if your lawn wasn’t mowed or treated for weeds that season your neighbors will be up in arms. The older couple next door to us would replace his driveway ever summer haha. When we asked about the difference, our realtor suggested that this isn’t a big deal here and folks are more concerned with education and political stances of neighbors! So why can’t all be considered? Aren’t property values an issue?!

"Treated for weeds" means you're causing an ecological disaster. You're in "Monsanto and Bayer are evil" country. Tons of people with biology/biotech training who are aware of the issue. Bees. Pollinators. Keep Round-Up out of the food supply. The anti-germination stuff in Preen everyone applies to their lawn in March to prevent crabgrass ain't eggactly environmentally friendly. Ditto broadleaf weed killer. Ditto pesticides. If you don't mow it, pollinators grow and you have bees. I bought a house on an acre up on the hill in Winchester that was like that. The previous owner mowed a tiny patch of green lawn and left the rest natural. I saw no reason to change it. It was kind of nice to have all the butterflies, hummingbirds, and bees.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:41 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,637,296 times
You'd be fine at the Natick Mall and Home Depot. People moving to Natick are coming from all directions, with the occasional townie thrown in.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
"Treated for weeds" means you're causing an ecological disaster. You're in "Monsanto and Bayer are evil" country. Tons of people with biology/biotech training who are aware of the issue. Bees. Pollinators. Keep Round-Up out of the food supply. The anti-germination stuff in Preen everyone applies to their lawn in March to prevent crabgrass ain't eggactly environmentally friendly. Ditto broadleaf weed killer. Ditto pesticides. If you don't mow it, pollinators grow and you have bees. I bought a house on an acre up on the hill in Winchester that was like that. The previous owner mowed a tiny patch of green lawn and left the rest natural. I saw no reason to change it. It was kind of nice to have all the butterflies, hummingbirds, and bees.
No need to educate me on the effects of over maintenance of lawns. Never said is the right thing. My observation is the drastic difference. In most cases, folks kept their properties well maintained to uphold propriety value. Is this not the case here? Is the value mostly in the land?

Old 07-08-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
You'd be fine at the Natick Mall and Home Depot. People moving to Natick are coming from all directions, with the occasional townie thrown in.
Why is everyone stuck on Home Depot! Haha No thanks to Natick. Way too much commercial.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Why is everyone stuck on Home Depot! Haha No thanks to Natick. Way too much commercial.
Quote:
Oh, you don't have to live there to shop there.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:12 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Quote:
Probably because you brought up the time you tried to return something there and they asked for a receipt.

Natick isn't bad at all. It's cheaper than a lot of the towns and it's mainly commercial only along rte 9. It has a small downtown that's pretty attractive and has restaurants. It has different types of neighborhoods, large lots, and a state park with a lake. The school system is good too. Natick is not rte 9.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Oh, you don't have to live there to shop there.
Gotcha. Thought you meant live there.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Probably because you brought up the time you tried to return something there and they asked for a receipt.

Natick isn't bad at all. It's cheaper than a lot of the towns and it's mainly commercial only along rte 9. It has a small downtown that's pretty attractive and has restaurants. It has different types of neighborhoods, large lots, and a state park with a lake. The school system is good too. Natick is not rte 9.
True, and also South Natick which is very scenic and has the Audubon wildlife refuge, the Community Garden for the town and a branch library with a small museum highlighting the history of the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts