U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 06:56 AM

4,398 posts, read 5,646,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsAreCalling16 View Post
What are the taxes like in MA? Are we talking 10 to 13k for a modest family house like Long Island?

What would a 2000 sq ft house on half an acre cost in MA? I am use to the north shore of western suffolk county and you can get a house like that if you look for around 450k -500k...granted the damn taxes are like 16k I don't want to pay taxes that high.

I don't need to be by Boston. I just want something nice with good internet connectivity.
Mill rates are about 15, so a $400k house would have taxes in the $6k neighborhood. More reasonable than LI it sounds.

Otherwise, with your budget, you need to be a bit more clear about what you want and what you're willing to give up. Unless you need to be near Boston, stay away. It's just too expensive. Same with the Cape.

You might consider somewhere like Marion or Mattapoisett. Good schools, near the beach, reasonably affordable. It's not actually on the Cape, so you avoid some of the traffic and tourism problems (but not all). You may need to stretch your purchase budget a bit, but taxes will be lower so that might be possible.

You could also look inland. Things get more affordable as you move away from Boston. You could also look in New Hampshire, or Maine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 06:57 AM

3,705 posts, read 2,223,880 times
Quote:
And this is why I wanted moderate... "because MA is well educated..." implying moderates and/or conservatives would be uneducated. Wow! I don't want to deal with the liberal elitist mentality nor the conservative elitist mentality hence I wanted moderate.

A budget of 425k got laughed at... I was kinda assuming a huge tax bill. I am not sure about this specific neighborhood but this it quite affordable. The tax bill is nothing so the mortgage would actually be less than what I am currently paying.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/10_zm/0_mmm/

how about this, give me a list of nice neighborhoods and I will look...

Thanks!
I would go with somewhere in Southern NH. Bedford, Londonderry, etc. You're 60 miles from Boston, good schools, cheap COL, plenty of commercial activity abound, and Portsmouth/Rye/Hampton beaches are not far. If you're set on Massachusetts, look out towards Northborough/Westborough/Shrewsbury. Great schools, COL tends to be a bit lower, enough commercial activity to keep you sane.

The home that you listed is out in the middle of Cape Code. No traffic, it's likely still 2 hours to Boston. And, while you say you don't need to be close, I'd suggest staying close(r). Traffic in the summer is a nightmare down that way, too, and it's a ghost town off-season. Never heard good things about raising a family in the Cape. It's...isolating..

EDIT: MA property tax is middle of the road as a %, but due to the high valuation of homes/property, they still remain higher than average. Certainly not going to be LI taxes, or Cook County IL.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:04 AM

20 posts, read 19,339 times
Again, I don't know MA but the taxes are seemingly rather cheap and seem to be half of what we pay on Long Island. I can only pull areas that I have been to (which tend to be more touristy).

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/12_zm/0_mmm/

That would be affordable since the taxes are so low. So I guess I could really bump my budget up a bit. Not sure the neighborhood.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:14 AM

8,594 posts, read 13,186,702 times
The town of Sandwich is supposed to have the best school district on the Cape. Maybe look at some of the neighborhoods off rte. 6A.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:21 AM

3,705 posts, read 2,223,880 times
Quote:
Again, I don't know MA but the taxes are seemingly rather cheap and seem to be half of what we pay on Long Island. I can only pull areas that I have been to (which tend to be more touristy).

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/12_zm/0_mmm/

That would be affordable since the taxes are so low. So I guess I could really bump my budget up a bit. Not sure the neighborhood.
Exactly which town are you coming from? I can give you a COL side by side.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:29 AM

2,238 posts, read 4,064,423 times
Walpole, Canton, Foxborough, Wrentham, Norton, Franklin, Medway and Millis sound like the kinds of towns you have in mind. There's also Hanson and Halifax, Holbrook, Stoughton, Randolph and Hanover. They are all good but relatively moderate cost towns with plenty of houses on half acre or more lots. Not as expensive as the coastal towns nearer Boston or as many of the metro-west towns. The south coastal area is really nice but maybe too much driving to get to the major employment centers. Everyone here seems to think you won't find what you're looking for in the $400K range but you can always look. I'm not sure what you get for all your tax money on Long Island that's better than what people have in Mass except that the MBTA commuter rail is a toonerville trolley compared to the LIRR and the town may not pick up the trash.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:38 AM

MWJ119: Nope, absolutely no need to be near Boston. As it is I hate dealing with NYC traffic. I have no desire dealing with Boston traffic every time I want to travel. Just need good internet connectivity, that's the only stipulation for work. Thanks for being down to Earth and for the neighborhood recommendations.

I am open to southern NH, I will check those places out. I've heard good things about places like Londonderry, Bedford, and Peterborough. I rather like NH, especially over by Hanover. Woodstock, VT; Manchester , VT; Norwich, VT; suburbs of Portsmouth , NH are all lovely as well. I will still have family on LI so I am also looking at CT, Upstate NY, lower VT and NH, and PA. My husband isn't really a fan of NJ. I am casting a wide net right now. New England isn't a bad drive since we could take the Bridgeport ferry back down to the island and bypass the NYC traffic.

I am just trying to find some family friendly neighborhoods, less traffic and noise, some pretty scenery, and good schools. Long Island 30 years ago was lovely. The overdevelopment is ruining it here. We are losing our open spaces and the traffic is getting so bad. It took 55 minutes to drive 19 miles to work this school year.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
exactly which town are you coming from? I can give you a col side by side.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:43 AM

317 posts, read 265,471 times
Quote:
I looked real quick bc I remembered Hyannis was pretty. As I said, looking for neighborhood recommendations since I am not overly familiar with MA.
Stay away from Hyannis. There’s tons of crime due to opioid addiction, which is pretty rampant on the cape. It’s nice for a visit but I wouldn’t raise kids there. Harvard is a really nice town with great schools but if you want a Main Street, walk around, see people, go to dinner type place I don’t think that’s it. From what I know there’s not a very happening downtown. What about Burlington, Vt? Or Woodstock, NY?

Old 07-09-2018, 08:55 AM

3,280 posts, read 3,379,047 times
Central MA.

Holden, Princeton, Rutland, Stirling check all your boxes. Less Holden though. Almost all towns west of Worcester and East of Quabbin fit the bill.

Something like this: https://www.redfin.com/MA/Princeton/.../home/14818130

$5k taxes btw.

NH has much higher property taxes (Not NJ/NY high though) but no sales tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts