U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 09:06 AM

3,814 posts, read 2,324,099 times

Advertisements

So based on a bit of homework, it looks like you're coming from a decently high income area, with relatively affordable home values. Of course, with the high property taxes, a $450k house in LI is ~$500k house in Mass according to my simple calculations. So it's not exactly apples to apples, and I do think you can bump your ceiling up to $500k with the property tax reductions.

Absolutely no need to be close to Boston. Got it. That's good news, because with your criteria and budget, I don't think we'd have any luck. That opens up so many options... Essentially all of New England works. I'm assuming, then, that you/your husband works from home?

Some more suggestions that fit that <$500k/good schools/large lot criteria (other than those I already named in NH):
-Groton/Dunstable
-Harvard/Bolton/Stowe
-Princeton

If you want close proximity to water:
-Marshfield
-Georgetown/West Newbury
-Barrington, RI
-East Greenwich, RI
-North Kingstown, RI
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 09:34 AM

2,268 posts, read 4,112,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Central MA.

Holden, Princeton, Rutland, Stirling check all your boxes. Less Holden though. Almost all towns west of Worcester and East of Quabbin fit the bill.

Something like this: https://www.redfin.com/MA/Princeton/.../home/14818130

$5k taxes btw.

NH has much higher property taxes (Not NJ/NY high though) but no sales tax.
Yes these are all good places and convenient to jobs in Worcester. Not impossibly far from Boston either although you wouldn't want to have to travel there on a daily basis. NH has high property taxes because no state sales or income tax. Local education, police, roads and other town services are funded through the property tax. OP may already know this but none of the New England states have county taxes because there's no county government, only state and local. If you live in New Hampshire and work in Massachusetts then you have to pay the Mass income tax. Might as well live in Mass and enjoy the relatively lower property taxes--if you can afford to buy the house in the first place!

Old 07-09-2018, 11:36 AM

3,985 posts, read 2,803,245 times
It sounds like whatever you and your spouse do for money, you can do it from home or from anywhere. Given that, close proximity to Boston doesn't sound like it is what you want. Have you considered Maine? That might fit the bill.

I saw you also indicated you were looking in some other areas. Western Coastal CT might be a good choice - someplace in the New Haven vicinity, like perhaps Guilford, CT? PA could fit the bill -- the Philly area is probably the best bargain on the East Coast/Northeast. And Northeastern PA is certainly inexpensive and doesn't bring you all that far away from NYC.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:02 PM

23 posts, read 17,364 times
I made this move about 10 years ago. I grew up on LI but am originally from MA and have a lot of family up here so it made sense.

You'll find in general, that the housing prices are somewhat similar to LI, with the caveat that a lot of what you'll find up here will be older on average. Unless you are in a mismanaged or super ritzy town, you are correct that property taxes will be about half of what you are used to on LI, sometimes even less. And you absolutely will not notice any degradation in the services you are getting for your tax money.

Traffic will be similar unless you are out in the rural areas of central or western mass. Less people but also the roads are more similar to what you see on the north shore where they tend to be windy and narrow creating bottlenecks.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:29 PM

5,761 posts, read 3,078,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
It sounds like whatever you and your spouse do for money, you can do it from home or from anywhere. Given that, close proximity to Boston doesn't sound like it is what you want. Have you considered Maine? That might fit the bill.
In that vein, a few nice towns I'd suggest looking at would be Exeter, NH and Kittery, ME if you want to stay along the seacoast, and maybe Northampton, MA mid-state.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:40 PM

652 posts, read 613,866 times
Lunenburg/Leominster area, or anywhere in southern NH. There’s lakes in those areas in striking distance

Old 07-10-2018, 10:19 AM

16,509 posts, read 12,059,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsAreCalling16 View Post
And this is why I wanted moderate... "because MA is well educated..." implying moderates and/or conservatives would be uneducated. Wow! I don't want to deal with the liberal elitist mentality nor the conservative elitist mentality hence I wanted moderate.

A budget of 425k got laughed at... I was kinda assuming a huge tax bill. I am not sure about this specific neighborhood but this it quite affordable. The tax bill is nothing so the mortgage would actually be less than what I am currently paying.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/10_zm/0_mmm/

how about this, give me a list of nice neighborhoods and I will look...

Thanks!
I see you are new to City-Data. You will soon find that like with any online public board, there are a few elitist and fanatic types who lurk who's comments should be taken for what they are worth. Statements like "people are educated so therefore not conservative", or affluent Cape Cod "has no good schools" should throw up instant red flags. But I think you already see that.

But back to that listing, you do NOT want to be in Hyannis. It is the armpit of the Cape, with massive drug, crime and transience problems. If you don't want traffic and congestionn, I would stay off the Cape in general but there are nice towns with good school like Sandwich, Dennis and Chatham.

What makes you want to move to MA in the first placee especially if you have no ties there? Most of it is quite expensive and certainly not void of overdevelopment. Like others have suggested, I think S NH is worth a look. Exeter, Londonderry, even Dover might be a good choice. Also E Greenwich and N Kingstown, RI if you want a little warmer.

Politics...MA generally ranges from ultra liberal to slightly conservative. You don't have to worry about extreme right, you want to avoid the likes of Amherst and Northampton that can be very hostile to non-liberals. Other than the more expensive towns just west of Boston that are out of your budget anyway, most suburbs and smaller towns will be pretty moderate and live-and-let-live for the most part.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:30 PM

5,816 posts, read 14,793,639 times
It sounds as if you can work from home, so you don't need proximity to any major city or employment center. It seems that your main need in terms of location is convenience to Long Island for visiting family. Is this correct?

What is the farthest you'd be comfortable living from the terminal where you would catch the ferry to LI?

Also, when you say you're looking for a large lot but also want a downtown area where you can walk around and meet friends and the like, I'm guessing that you don't necessarily mean that you'd want to walk to downtown. A town with large lots is usually going to be spread out enough that it's tough to walk all over, or to downtown, unless you happen to luck into a property very close to where you want to walk to.

I'm thinking you must be looking for a nice town center you can drive to, where you can then stroll around to a decent collection of stores once you arrive in the center. Is that about right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Walpole, Canton, Foxborough, Wrentham, Norton, Franklin, Medway and Millis sound like the kinds of towns you have in mind. There's also Hanson and Halifax, Holbrook, Stoughton, Randolph and Hanover. They are all good but relatively moderate cost towns with plenty of houses on half acre or more lots. Not as expensive as the coastal towns nearer Boston or as many of the metro-west towns. The south coastal area is really nice but maybe too much driving to get to the major employment centers.
I'm not familiar with specific towns well to the south or southwest of Boston, but my general impression is that housing costs in many of these towns are a bit less steep than in other areas of Greater Boston, so it makes sense that Missionhill is suggesting towns in that area. Based on hearsay, so for what it's worth, I get the impression that you're more likely to find moderate politics to the south and southwest than in some other sections of the metro (at least if you're not really close to Boston, where the views may lean more to the left).

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
What makes you want to move to MA in the first placee especially if you have no ties there? Most of it is quite expensive and certainly not void of overdevelopment. Like others have suggested, I think S NH is worth a look. Exeter, Londonderry, even Dover might be a good choice. Also E Greenwich and N Kingstown, RI if you want a little warmer.
From some of your later posts it does look as if you'd consider any New England state (as well as upstate NY). That being the case, I agree with those who have suggested looking at northern New England states for less expensive housing than you find in much of Greater Boston. How far up into the northern states you might consider would depend on your answer to my question above about how far you'd be willing to live from the ferry to LI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Politics...MA generally ranges from ultra liberal to slightly conservative. You don't have to worry about extreme right, you want to avoid the likes of Amherst and Northampton that can be very hostile to non-liberals. Other than the more expensive towns just west of Boston that are out of your budget anyway, most suburbs and smaller towns will be pretty moderate and live-and-let-live for the most part.
Massnative has it right about the part in bold. The person who suggested Northampton either must not be very familiar with that town or must have missed your post about your political preferences.

I can see why someone might suggest Northampton, if considering only your desire for a town where you can walk around downtown and encounter people you know, but if you want moderate to conservative-leaning politics you don't want to get anywhere near Northampton or Amherst. Massnative was not exaggerating when using the words "very hostile" to describe the prevailing attitude toward those who lean any way except far left. If anything, Massnative may have been putting it a bit mildly.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:09 AM

3,802 posts, read 2,384,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post

Some more suggestions that fit that <$500k/good schools/large lot criteria (other than those I already named in NH):
-Groton/Dunstable
-Harvard/Bolton/Stowe
-Princeton
Harvard and Bolton barely satisfy OPs requirements these days - you've got to spend $550k+ for anything resembling an 'estate' or having acreage. I'd add Lancaster and Sterling to that list given the schools are shared with Bolton and Princeton (in order) and OP's money goes a bit further, though I strong prefer Sterling (resident bias) as the town has a stronger commercial tax base and generally nicer housing stock.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:10 PM

16,509 posts, read 12,059,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I can see why someone might suggest Northampton, if considering only your desire for a town where you can walk around downtown and encounter people you know, but if you want moderate to conservative-leaning politics you don't want to get anywhere near Northampton or Amherst. Massnative was not exaggerating when using the words "very hostile" to describe the prevailing attitude toward those who lean any way except far left. If anything, Massnative may have been putting it a bit mildly.
I try not to cast harsh judgements on an area, for one I have found that the true locals around there tend to be nice reasonable people for the most part (whatever way they might vote). Most of the attitude seems to come from the newer transplants, those who have been wooed by the area's political reputation or are involved in the local academia community. As to the latter, even a slight left but independent minded person is likely to feel uneasy around them. It truly is "Berkeley East".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts